Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

Here is my thing between these two....

Schanio turned down opportunities to be HC at USC & Oregon Meyer said he has turned down other jobs too...

Mullen can't get interest from Florida or Georgia
And he was OC at Florida for a NC!!!

And they don't want him!!!

I'll take the guy that has turned down good jobs.

That’s fine.

You take the guy who went 68-67 in the Big East and likes to turn down “good jobs”.

I’ll take the guy who has coached in and has had very good success in the SECw, who a couple years ago had lowly Miss State the #1 team in the country, with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players....who has shown he’s an elite qb coach. I couldn’t care less whether or not Florida has some personal issue with the guy.

Reactions: 4 people
That’s fine.

You take the guy who went 68-67 in the Big East and likes to turn down “good jobs”.

I’ll take the guy who has coached in and has had very good success in the SECw, who a couple years ago had lowly Miss State the #1 team in the country, with a bunch of 2 and 3 star players....who has shown he’s an elite qb coach. I couldn’t care less whether or not Florida has some personal issue with the guy.

His overall losing SEC Record and up till this year has only been above 500 in SEC play one year. He loses games yearly that he shouldn't and was lucky to win yesterday. His issues with Flor are more with Strickland not being able to stand him. He's got a reputation as being hard to work with and isn't gonna win over many recruits parents with his personality. Even the year he got to #1 his team faded shortly after. They lost to Ala then finished the rest of the year losing 3 of their last 4. If we are gonna pay a coach 5.5+ mill a year he should atleast have won something and not have a losing conference record. We could definitely do worse and based off our last few hires we have but when you really dive into his record it's not worthy of that kind of money. Especially with yearly loses and close calls to teams like S.ala,Troy,Umass,a bad BYU team and that horrid yearly regular season OOC schedule should be 4 guaranteed wins before you take the first snap bis teams have lost quite a few of those inexplicably and inexcusable loses. My point is if we are spending that much for a HC the full body of work should be worthy of that kind of payday.JMO and I know many will agree and disagree with me.

Reactions: 2 people
I would take Norvell or Campbell before Mullens and especially Schiano and I dont want none of the 4 but I am afraid this University isnt committed to winning any longer so one of these 4 will probably be the HC

I would personally like to see Les Miles

But going off the report these are Currie's two targets so we're discussing these two.

I really don't think those are his top 2 choices. Every media outlet claims different names at the top of the list and they are all different. Nobody outside of Currie's circle really knows who is on his list. Everyone just throws out random names without anymore knowledge than any of us. Mullen is making 4.5 right now and doubt he leaves for anything under 5.5 or 6. And I can't see him being given that amount of money to spend on a HC who has never won a division, conference or championship of any kind and 5 games under 500 in the SEC. Don't see Currie taking a chance with either of them on the biggest coaching hire of his career. One that can make or break you. I could be wrong but a hire the fanbase doesn't get behind will cost them lots of money and ticket sales atleast until they prove we didn't hire another Dooley or Butch. TN is in the position that they have to get it right this time. We can't be doing this again in another 4-5 years.

Schiano, Mullen and Gruden were on a top 10 list on Sports Source this morning along with Campbell and Alabama defensive coordinator Pruitt.

Reactions: 1 person
That’s fine.

What was his record at the end of that year when they were ranked number 1? Yea no thanks.

What was his record at the end of that year when they were ranked number 1? Yea no thanks.

That's one of my many arguments against Mullen. His team was either overrated or couldn't handle the pressure and lost 3 of their last 4. Not sure he's equipped for the pressure of this job. He's never had to deal with that just like Butch or Dooley hadn't and neither dealt with it well.

I continue to be baffled at the hate from on here for a Mullen hire.
IMHO Miss St is the bottom of SEC West schools in terms of prestige and not even the most popular school in his own state. Has a big recruiting uphill battle. Doesn't have a ton of talent compared to Bama LSU Florida Georgia Auburn... Has t battle in the toughest division in CFB. I'm wondering hoe many of his State teams would have won the East since hes been coaching? He's the 2nd best coach in the conference. You guys keep wanting proven guys... And I'm hearing Gruden, Frost, Fuente, Brohm... What has these guys done, exactly? I dont have a problem people wanting these guys but I don't understand how Mullen seems like a terrible hire to a lot of you.

Reactions: 3 people

10-3 with a trip to the Orange Bowl. The last time Miss State made the Orange Bowl before that? 1940. In the 74 years in between, they only made a "top-tier bowl" (Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose, Fiesta) 1 time. What Mullen has done at Miss State is on par with what Barry Alvarez did at Wisconsin, except Barry Alvarez got to feast on a lot of cupcakes at Wisconsin, while Miss State has to play 4 teams every season that routinely get top 10 recruiting classes.

LOL it's Mississippi State. Bama wins so much because they have the #1 recruiting class every single year. They simply out talent you. Saban isn't a wizard and he doesn't exactly develop NFL talent like you would think.
Someone taking Tennessee to #1 and crumbling is one think, to do it at a traditional bottom dweller is something else.

That's one of my many arguments against Mullen. His team was either overrated or couldn't handle the pressure and lost 3 of their last 4. Not sure he's equipped for the pressure of this job. He's never had to deal with that just like Butch or Dooley hadn't and neither dealt with it well.

I agree. Mullen is a great OC
He is an average HC

The similarities between him and Jim McElwain are stunning!

OC's for VERY successful HC's when they had their own teams?

Average & even when they win games your not feeling good about your coaches ability.

I would take Norvell or Campbell before Mullens and especially Schiano and I dont want none of the 4 but I am afraid this University isnt committed to winning any longer so one of these 4 will probably be the HC

Who the hell is Mullens?? Half of the posters on this dam board are talking about some coach named Mullens yet i can’t find one coach in the SEC with that last name.

LOL it's Mississippi State. Bama wins so much because they have the #1 recruiting class every single year. They simply out talent you. Saban isn't a wizard and he doesn't exactly develop NFL talent like you would think.
Someone taking Tennessee to #1 and crumbling is one think, to do it at a traditional bottom dweller is something else.

Ole Miss in the same state had zero problems beating Alabama in the same time Mullen has had at State!!!

And Mullen couldn't beat Saban because Dan Mullen is at a Mississippi school???

Dan Mullen is a great OC a very average HC

I agree. Mullen is a great OC
He is an average HC

The similarities between him and Jim McElwain are stunning!

OC's for VERY successful HC's when they had their own teams?

Average & even when they win games your not feeling good about your coaches ability.

LOL one coached at Florida in the worst division in football and the other at Missifreaking State in the toughest division in football. Give me a break.

VN Store

Back