Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

If UT hires Mullen, what are the Over/Unders for each:
Number of years until UT wins East
Number of years until UT wins SEC
Recruiting ranking in 2017
Recruiting ranking in 2018
Post-season ranking in 2018
Post-season ranking in 2019

Hard to really even guess... but I cannot imagine Mullen out-recruiting Florida or Georgia. I think that he'll set us up for a distant 3rd in SEC East recruiting. I really don't think that he'll consistently do better than 3rd in SEC East unless Florida really screws up their hire.

He will be fired before he wins the East.

Reactions: 1 person

Hard to really even guess... but I cannot imagine Mullen out-recruiting Florida or Georgia. I think that he'll set us up for a distant 3rd in SEC East recruiting. I really don't think that he'll consistently do better than 3rd in SEC East unless Florida really screws up their hire.

So you’re all of the sudden interested in odds?

When i said that Mullen would be favorite in atleast 9/10 games a year at UT, you wanted none of it. But now you do.....

Tuberville left Ole Miss after several seasons for Auburn and eventually had a 13-0 unbeaten season in 2004.

His seasons at Ole Miss before going to Auburn were underwhelming 6-5, 5-6, 8-4, 6-5.

Could Mullen's move from Miss State to Tennessee produce similar results?

Thoughts?

Ole Miss Rebels (Southeastern Conference) (1995–1998)

1995 Ole Miss 6–5 3–5 5th (Western)
1996 Ole Miss 5–6 2–6 T–5th (Western)
1997 Ole Miss 8–4 4–4 T–3rd (Western) W Motor City 22 22
1998 Ole Miss 6–5 3–5 4th (Western) Independence*
Ole Miss: 25–20 12–20 * Bowl game coached by David Cutcliffe

Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (1999–2008)

1999 Auburn 5–6 2–6 5th (Western)
2000 Auburn 9–4 6–2 1st (Western) L Florida Citrus 20 18
2001 Auburn 7–5 5–3 T–1st (Western) L Peach
2002 Auburn 9–4 5–3 T–1st (Western) W Capital One 16 14
2003 Auburn 8–5 5–3 3rd (Western) W Music City
2004 Auburn 13–0 8–0 1st (Western) W Sugar† 2 2
2005 Auburn 9–3 7–1 T–1st (Western) L Capital One 14 14
2006 Auburn 11–2 6–2 T–2nd (Western) W Cotton 8 9
2007 Auburn 9–4 5–3 2nd (Western) W Chick-fil-A 14 15
2008 Auburn 5–7 2–6 T–4th (Western)

Also found this funny when people quote Mullen telling his players he is staying.

While at Ole Miss, Tuberville made the statement, "They’ll have to carry me out of here in a pine box," in reference to not leaving to coach at another school. Two days after he made that statement, it was announced that he was departing for Auburn.

So you’re all of the sudden interested in odds?

When i said that Mullen would be favorite in atleast 9/10 games a year at UT, you wanted none of it. But now you do.....

I don't trust your made-up "odds". But I am interested in what everyone's expectation is... So it sounds like you're predicting Mullen to win 9-10 next year if he's here. OK.

I don't trust your made-up "odds". But I am interested in what everyone's expectation is... So it sounds like you're predicting Mullen to win 9-10 next year if he's here. OK.

You're not interested in an answer to the question you asked?

Schanio was accused of witnessing Sandusky at Penn St. Hell No!!!

Mullen has won 14 SEC West games in 9 years. Hell No!!!

Number of years until UT wins East (Fired first)
Number of years until UT wins SEC (Fired first)
Recruiting ranking in 2017 (30)
Recruiting ranking in 2018 (31)
Post-season ranking in 2018 (unranked)
Post-season ranking in 2019 (unranked)

Number of years until UT wins East (Fired first)
Number of years until UT wins SEC (Fired first)
Recruiting ranking in 2017 (30)
Recruiting ranking in 2018 (31)
Post-season ranking in 2018 (unranked)
Post-season ranking in 2019 (unranked)

how exactly is FL's situatin in 2017 better than ours recruiting wise?
1. Location- more talent locally not just more than UT but pretty much anywhere. I would take an easy bet that just the Miami/Ft lauderdale area alone puts out more Div1 talent than all of the state of Tennessee. Anyone betting against me would be in for a rude awakening.

2. Location- its in Florida. No its not Daytona/Orlando or Miami or Tampa or even Jacksonville. But its still Florida someone hears the states name and they think beaches, oranges and hot chicks. Knoxville people not from around this area thinks of the banjo Solo in deliverance. reality is that Knoxville is a lot bigger city and more developed and cultured than Gainesville but perception beats reality all day.

Look at who Schanio's inner circle of friends are.....

I get that you like schiano if we have to fall this far to get a coach, then tradition, money to pay, facilities...all the vol traditions means it isn't translating to anyone but Vol faithful. So, if he's so great, why did Rutgers hire OSU DC instead of hiring Schiano back? Table was set perfectly for him...in state recruiting ties still in tact, upgraded facilities, in big 10, and left for NFL job which was understandable. If Rutgers says no, then I think UT can, and will do much better.

I get that you like schiano if we have to fall this far to get a coach, then tradition, money to pay, facilities...all the vol traditions means it isn't translating to anyone but Vol faithful. So, if he's so great, why did Rutgers hire OSU DC instead of hiring Schiano back? Table was set perfectly for him...in state recruiting ties still in tact, upgraded facilities, in big 10, and left for NFL job which was understandable. If Rutgers says no, then I think UT can, and will do much better.

I'm just guessing here....

Didn't want to go back. That was a crazy build he did there. He left for Tampa Bay. Like most coaches that leave programs for others probably burnt some bridges.

Schanio is a huge NO! basically got run out of Tampa Bay.

As far as Mullen I don't like it but bringing up wins vs the West...NEWSFLASH that's more than Jones, Dooley and Kiffin have combined while at UT

Schanio is a huge NO! basically got run out of Tampa Bay.

As far as Mullen I don't like it but bringing up wins vs the West...NEWSFLASH that's more than Jones, Dooley and Kiffin have combined while at UT

I totally understand what Mullen has done at MSU. I know it is not a Texas, or Florida......or a Tennessee. Mullen does and should get a lot of credit for winning at MSU and for building the entire program.

However for me great coaches find ways to win.....great coaches simply out coach other coaches and teams.

Only 5 coaches in all of FBS have a worse record vs ranked teams........an there are around 130 teams.

While Mullen hasn't had the resources as other teams and has had less talent.......he has had some really good talent at times and has much more resources than many schools outside the SEC. For me if he were great Mullen would win more of those games.

It is extremely difficult to consistently out recruit either because of the instate talent disparity between TN and GA/FL. Butch was able to out recruit them some during JMac's tenure, but any decent recruiter can recruit instate talent to Gainesville. Granted there are a lot of good teams in the state, but there is also boatloads of elite talent. And the state of GA also has talent everywhere and only one other P5 school, and a geek school at that. Instate talent is increasing in TN, but regardless of who UT hires, the HC is going to have their work cut out for them recruiting against UGA and UF. Do the HC needs to be able to develop players and do more with less. I believe Mullen can do that.

Hey all- I'm a Rutgers fan 1st and foremost, but a huge Greg Schiano fan and will root for him wherever he ends up.

He turned RU from the absolute doormat of college football who went to 1 bowl game in a million years, to a team that went to 6 bowl games in 7 years and has a number of guys playing in the NFL now.

He beat a few top 10 teams along the way and was on more than one occasion only 1 play away from winning an automatic berth into a BCS bowl game. (Damn you WVU)

He has since moved on to coach in the NFL and spent two years under Meyer. I believe that he is going to absolutely kill it in his next job. If you can win at Rutgers with a terrible history, no infrastructure, crappy facilities, and very little support from the University, I can only imagine what he will do at a school with tradition and facilities.

He will need to bring in a good OC and not micromanage him, and he will have a couple of WTF losses now and again, but I think he is a phenomenal coach and I hope he lands a gig this year. Wherever it is, I will be rooting for them. If it's UT, look for me to be on here and jumping on the Vols bandwagon. If it is somewhere else, good luck with your search!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back