Dan Mullen is at it again - Transfer Portal

I agree, Richt is a good coach, and slightly less irritating than the average uga person. The fact we could make fun of him as the male Helen Hunt just made it perfect.

Smart is just another arrogant uga person. And I think, though the jury is still out, that Pruitt will, in time, become a much better gameday coach than Smart.

View attachment 254066
How mind effed am I upon the realization that I always thought, and still think, Helen Hunt is a very attractive woman...To find out that she is, in fact, Mark Richt with makeup and a blonde wig on.

Reactions: VolInNW
You keep saying this “made it to a natty” thing. Had there been a playoff for Richt’s 15 years he probably would have. So many teams would have even more national titles if the playoffs had been around. Hell, Spurrier and Bobby Bowden would both have a few more. Tennessee’s 2001 team would have made a playoff. Some of Peyton’s teams may have. The playoff is only, what, five years old? You can’t hold it against Richt that he never achieved something that wasn’t around to be achieved.

As it stands right this moment, Richt has more SEC titles than Kirby and neither have a national title. And Richt had the better overall record at this stage after taking over a bad program. Clear advantage for Richt.
Richt probably would have made the CFP in 2002, his second season (just like Kirby did). It's impossible to know for sure because the BCS existed in 2002, but Georgia was #4 in the BCS after beating Arkansas for the SEC title that year; they were a 1-loss SEC champ. Surely a 1-loss SEC champ today would be in the CFP. Richt wouldn't have made a playoff in any other year though.

The first 4 years of Kirby and Richt's tenures are remarkably similar, even down to some of the exact losses they've experienced. Especially their 3rd years (see below); they were like a carbon copy of each other. It's eerie, and most Georgia fans are in denial about it.

Year 1: Richt 8-4. Kirby 8-5.
Year 2: Richt 13-1, wins SEC, finishes #3 in country. Kirby 13-2, wins SEC, finishes #2 in country. Both had 1 regular season loss to a big rival (Richt to Florida, Kirby to Auburn).
Year 3: Richt 11-3, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, finishes #7 in country. Kirby 11-3, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, finishes #7 in country. Both suffered upset losses on the road to LSU during the regular season.
Year 4: Richt 10-2, fails to win SEC East, finishes #7 in country. Kirby 12-2, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, likely to finish somewhere around #4/5 in country.

The only notable differences between their first 4 years is that in Year 4 Kirby won a division title while Richt did not. Kirby is 3-1 against Florida while Richt was 1-3 through that same point. I disagree that there's a "clear advantage" for Richt (if anything, I'd give a very slight edge to Kirby given one more East title and a better record against Florida), but their tenures are incredibly similar through the first 4 years.

Reactions: CrybabyVol
Richt probably would have made the CFP in 2002, his second season (just like Kirby did). It's impossible to know for sure because the BCS existed in 2002, but Georgia was #4 in the BCS after beating Arkansas for the SEC title that year; they were a 1-loss SEC champ. Surely a 1-loss SEC champ today would be in the CFP. Richt wouldn't have made a playoff in any other year though.

The first 4 years of Kirby and Richt's tenures are remarkably similar, even down to some of the exact losses they've experienced. Especially their 3rd years (see below); they were like a carbon copy of each other. It's eerie, and most Georgia fans are in denial about it.

Year 1: Richt 8-4. Kirby 8-5.
Year 2: Richt 13-1, wins SEC, finishes #3 in country. Kirby 13-2, wins SEC, finishes #2 in country. Both had 1 regular season loss to a big rival (Richt to Florida, Kirby to Auburn).
Year 3: Richt 11-3, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, finishes #7 in country. Kirby 11-3, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, finishes #7 in country. Both suffered upset losses on the road to LSU during the regular season.
Year 4: Richt 10-2, fails to win SEC East, finishes #7 in country. Kirby 12-2, wins SEC East but loses in SECCG, likely to finish somewhere around #4/5 in country.

The only notable differences between their first 4 years is that in Year 4 Kirby won a division title while Richt did not. Kirby is 3-1 against Florida while Richt was 1-3 through that same point. I disagree that there's a "clear advantage" for Richt (if anything, I'd give a very slight edge to Kirby given one more East title and a better record against Florida), but their tenures are incredibly similar through the first 4 years.
2007 they almost certainly would've gotten in as an at large and MAYBE also in 2012 based on how well they played Alabama in the SEC championship game.

How mind effed am I upon the realization that I always thought, and still think, Helen Hunt is a very attractive woman...To find out that she is, in fact, Mark Richt with makeup and a blonde wig on.

We know how you reptiles are. You'd still hit it.

Former Miami RB Lorenzo Lingard, consensus 5-star out of High School is transferring to Florida. Former Penn State WR Justin Shorter, also a consensus 5-star out of High School is said to be strongly considering Florida and could announce very soon.

If Shorter joins Lingard, that would be four 5-star players on the UF roster via the transfer portal; Tre Grimes, Brenton Cox, Lorenzo Lingard are the other 3.

Dan Mullen continues to methodically build his UF roster with a combination of really good High School recruiting and really good transfer portal recruiting.
So what if he’s signing a butch of 5-star busts? Then what?

It'll come down to his management ability.......to recruit, develop players and ultimately win. He hasn't accomplish the latter as yet in terms of the SEC. innovation is good, gimmicks much less so as they're not sustainable. Honestly, it smells like a means to compensate for a deficiency.......or worse. Might work......for now.

It'll come down to his management ability.......to recruit, develop players and ultimately win. He hasn't accomplish the latter as yet in terms of the SEC. innovation is good, gimmicks much less so as they're not sustainable. Honestly, it smells like a means to compensate for a deficiency.......or worse. Might work......for now.

6-6?

So what if he’s signing a butch of 5-star busts? Then what?

But his track record isn’t that he’s signing busts. To the contrary, he’s singing dudes who have 11 sacks in a season and become all-SEC (Jon Greenard) and dudes who lead the team in receptions two years in a row (Van Jefferson), and a whole bunch of other contributors. In fact, I can’t point to one Mullen transfer who has been a “bust.” Can you?

But his track record isn’t that he’s signing busts. To the contrary, he’s singing dudes who have 11 sacks in a season and become all-SEC (Jon Greenard) and dudes who lead the team in receptions two years in a row (Van Jefferson), and a whole bunch of other contributors. In fact, I can’t point to one Mullen transfer who has been a “bust.” Can you?
no idea. i don’t follow your team as closely as you follow ours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UT_Dutchman
It might work, or it might not.

I’m splitting the difference.

I might work.......seems to be getting the talent he thinks he needs.....so yea. Good for him .... I personally wouldn't call that innovative. But who cares if it gets you to competing and beating GA, AL and LSU. The rest of the SECe is trying to do the same thing.

2007 they almost certainly would've gotten in as an at large and MAYBE also in 2012 based on how well they played Alabama in the SEC championship game.
I don’t think they would have gotten in as a 2-loss team who didn’t even win their division in 2007, and both of those losses were to unranked teams. In 2012 perhaps, but there would have been a feeling that they had their chance in the SECCG. I think 2002 is the only year where he almost certainly would have made a 4-team playoff

Yeah. Can't really deny this. I saw the post about whether he was signing busts and was waiting for you to jump on it. Tennessee is getting on the transfer portal now too, so I get it.

Reactions: Jaws
Yeah. Can't really deny this. I saw the post about whether he was signing busts and was waiting for you to jump on it. Tennessee is getting on the transfer portal now too, so I get it.

So is Georgia. Even Mike Leach referenced using the portal as a tool in his introductory press conference at Miss State. It’s a recent and new tool. I think Mullen may have recognized this a little sooner than others and he may have realized the roster he walked into at Florida needed some help.

Others are getting really good at plugging roster holes too.

8761915.jpeg

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

VN Store

Back