Dallas hires Mike McCarthy

I figured they would go with an unknown. If you're going to go with a known, why wouldn't you go with Rivera?

Solid hire! Is his own guy, so the Joneses must’ve really wanted him.

I figured they would go with an unknown. If you're going to go with a known, why wouldn't you go with Rivera?
Rivera was hired before Jason Garrett's "meetings" were over.

McCarthy isnt a huge splash but he'll definitely be an upgrade over Garrett. He's a solid coach with a proven record.

McCarthy isnt a huge splash but he'll definitely be an upgrade over Garrett. He's a solid coach with a proven record.

If they wanted Rivera, they could have had him. The timeline is not a problem. They knew they were firing Garrett 4 or 5 weeks ago.

McCarthy is not proven at all, IMO. Rodgers was his QB and they underachieved for years after that SB. Now, McCarthy might be a better coach than I think, but he's not proven.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
An upgrade, but I was hoping for someone more exciting. As long as he wins, all is well.

Last edited:
Reactions: vader
Dallas Morning News locker room insider had been saying that the preferred hire would be an offense guy with experience handling QBs...they got one who handled Aaron Rodgers. Dak should be an easier project...at least in temperament. Super Bowl win couldn’t have hurt

Packers fans are laughing their heads off. They think that guy is a boob who was carried everywhere by Aaron Rodgers.

Packers fans are laughing their heads off. They think that guy is a boob who was carried everywhere by Aaron Rodgers.

Isn't that every coach though? I mean it really comes down to the players on the roster to determine if the coach is going to win or not.

Isn't that every coach though? I mean it really comes down to the players on the roster to determine if the coach is going to win or not.
Every coach has to have players, yes. But Packers fans really think McCarthy is a complete idiot that wouldn't be anywhere near a football field if it wasn't for Rodgers. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but I can't fault them for thinking the Packers should have 3-4 SBs with Rodgers.

Honestly it seems more like a GM problem than a head coaching problem...explains why they replaced the GM too. For the last several years under McCarthy they had nowhere near enough defense and not nearly enough weapons for Rodgers.

Every coach has to have players, yes. But Packers fans really think McCarthy is a complete idiot that wouldn't be anywhere near a football field if it wasn't for Rodgers. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but I can't fault them for thinking the Packers should have 3-4 SBs with Rodgers.

Honestly it seems more like a GM problem than a head coaching problem...explains why they replaced the GM too. For the last several years under McCarthy they had nowhere near enough defense and not nearly enough weapons for Rodgers.
Their defense was never near good enough to win 3 or 4 super bowls. They were slightly above average the year that they won.

The fans needed a scapegoat. I'm not sure what to think, but he's probably something in between overrated by the football world and underrated by the Packers fans.

Their defense was never near good enough to win 3 or 4 super bowls. They were slightly above average the year that they won.

Yeah, but in 11 years of Rodgers + McCarthy, they only appeared in the NFCCG twice and it's not like the division or NFC as a whole was especially strong during that decade. The Arizona Cardinals made the NFCCG twice.

Reactions: NashVol11
I know that their D wasn't good enough to win 3-4 SBs...that's part of the Packers fans' complaint. In their view, they largely wasted the prime years of one of the greatest QBs ever (currently the NFL's all-time career passing rating leader) by not having enough pieces around him. It isn't like they've needed an elite defense, just a serviceable one, and they weren't serviceable for a bunch of those years. Like I said above, that seems more like a GM (Ted Thompson) problem than a McCarthy problem, but McCarthy gets 95% of the heat/blame from their people for it. Easier to blame a HC who's on the sidelines every game, does press conferences, and actually coaches the players than a guy in a suit in a box, I guess.

Like @n_huffhines said he's probably underrated by Packers fans, but at the same time Packers fans aren't wrong if they want to complain they could have done more.

Was this McCarthy's first interview since GB? I don't remember hearing him linked to any jobs, previously.

They pretty much hired another Jason Garrett. A safe coach that brings stability. Cowboys will be looking for another coach in a few years unless Mike learned Jason's secret to staying in Dallas for a long time.

Reactions: 508mikey
They pretty much hired another Jason Garrett. A safe coach that brings stability. Cowboys will be looking for another coach in a few years unless Mike learned Jason's secret to staying in Dallas for a long time.
true but how many years does Jerry have left he is 77 years old

VN Store

Back