Dallas hires Mike McCarthy

I can see both sides of this hire. Yeah he's a safe hire who should have won more given the QB he had.
However, the QB was pretty much ALL he had and he still won a bunch of games and a SB. Defense was not good and I don't think they ever had a decent running game. Dallas has a boatload of talent on both sides of the ball. If he is any good as a coach, this should work out very well.

Should.

If Jerry can just shut up and write checks.

They pretty much hired another Jason Garrett. A safe coach that brings stability. Cowboys will be looking for another coach in a few years unless Mike learned Jason's secret to staying in Dallas for a long time.
Well he did have a sleepover at Jerry’s house

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol knight
I can see both sides of this hire. Yeah he's a safe hire who should have won more given the QB he had.
However, the QB was pretty much ALL he had and he still won a bunch of games and a SB. Defense was not good and I don't think they ever had a decent running game. Dallas has a boatload of talent on both sides of the ball. If he is any good as a coach, this should work out very well.

Should.

If Jerry can just shut up and write checks.

Nah. Maybe he didn't have great supporting casts every year, but there was never a year where the team was just bad. They either had a running game or a solid D almost every year and some years they had both. #2 D when they won the SB. Rodgers was hurt in 2017, so probably shouldn't count it.

1578408998242.png

Last edited:

I believe that Payton's status is somewhat in question after recent history, but I believe he's far more proven than McCarthy. Saints were the worst franchise in NFL history when he took over, and Brees was considered good, not great, and Payton took him to a whole new level. Look what he's done with Taysom Hill. He's an innovator.

Not all playoff wins and losses are alike. I can't explain Sunday's loss, but I can tell you that it took two fkn terrible and completely memorable miracles to beat the Saints the previous two years. The Saints only lost one playoff game by more than 6 points (10) and the Packers lost by 23, 14, and 17. When I look at the Packers, I think of flukes that went in their favor, like the Dez Bryant catch that wasn't.

I believe that Payton's status is somewhat in question after recent history, but I believe he's far more proven than McCarthy. Saints were the worst franchise in NFL history when he took over, and Brees was considered good, not great, and Payton took him to a whole new level. Look what he's done with Taysom Hill. He's an innovator.

Not all playoff wins and losses are alike. I can't explain Sunday's loss, but I can tell you that it took two fkn terrible and completely memorable miracles to beat the Saints the previous two years. The Saints only lost one playoff game by more than 6 points (10) and the Packers lost by 23, 14, and 17. When I look at the Packers, I think of flukes that went in their favor, like the Dez Bryant catch that wasn't.

Payton is a great coach.

VN Store

Back