Da Reds thread

@Vols4us and @Burhead congratulations. How big was that for y’all? The central is closing the gap, and now everyone/every team goes home and relaxes. Y’all can relax and focus on the next series wit the Brewers. Y’all are right there on their heels, and now they know it.

We do seem to match up well against them. This was not a must win but it was a luxury win. We were in it either way. I love it when they win one I didn't think they'd win. Brewers clearly had the pitching advantage these last 2 games and the Reds won 'em both, pinning two losses on their ace closer, no less

Thanks, OD. I figured the Brewers would fade in the second half. They are dead last in the NL in BA, #9 in OBP and middle of the pack at #7 in Runs. You can't keep up the pace of scoring enough when you have a poor BA and OBP. Normal RISP averages kick in over the course of an entire season. That puts too much pressure on the pitching staff, which wears them down. You understand that with your Cards.

Too early to call in the west on who fades. All three are close together statistically. Doubt it will be the Dodgers.

The Brewers have had a ridiculously easy schedule . Other than the Reds, the last over .500 team they played was SD on May 27th (and the Padres may have been sub .500 at that time). They've played the D-Backs and Pirates a lot in the past month

Took Jay Allen CF from John Carroll Catholic HS with our 2nd pick, he is committed to Florida I believe.

Took Jay Allen CF from John Carroll Catholic HS with our 2nd pick, he is committed to Florida I believe.

He appears to be the lottery ticket pick. Low floor/high ceiling guy. Seems chancy to me but the Reds have done well with their top picks of the past 5 yrs so we'll see

The Brewers have had a ridiculously easy schedule . Other than the Reds, the last over .500 team they played was SD on May 27th (and the Padres may have been sub .500 at that time). They've played the D-Backs and Pirates a lot in the past month

Yep - schedule has helped them a bunch. IMO it kind of showed in that series with them. Even with the great pitching our guys seemed more battle tested and hung tough late in the games.

I'm good with all three picks last night. Good value in each. Nice upside in Carroll if they get him developed well. Solid ML'ers at some point with the other two. Drafts like this elevate the talent pool on the farm, which smaller market teams need desperately to draw from as the vets move on.

Nick C makes for some great quotes. That Day interview was fun to watch last night.

I'm good with all three picks last night. Good value in each. Nice upside in Carroll if they get him developed well. Solid ML'ers at some point with the other two. Drafts like this elevate the talent pool on the farm, which smaller market teams need desperately to draw from as the vets move on.

Nick C makes for some great quotes. That Day interview was fun to watch last night.
Carroll? You mean Jay Allen? I guess he was the boom or bust pick. These guys generally bust but we'll see. Jim Bowden did this a lot with little success. Johnny Oliver, Chad Mattola come to mind. But this is a different organization. Let's see what they can do

Huge IMO. I think I said on here that if we lost this series we should sell but now that we've won I'm all for being buyers at the deadline and going all in.
No! No! No! You don’t sell now, actually you just go out and buy. This team has held together pretty well. Now, y’all are feeling pretty good.

Thanks, OD. I figured the Brewers would fade in the second half. They are dead last in the NL in BA, #9 in OBP and middle of the pack at #7 in Runs. You can't keep up the pace of scoring enough when you have a poor BA and OBP. Normal RISP averages kick in over the course of an entire season. That puts too much pressure on the pitching staff, which wears them down. You understand that with your Cards.

Too early to call in the west on who fades. All three are close together statistically. Doubt it will be the Dodgers.
It looks like the Brewers starting fading after y’all played them. You know you’re right about their BA. They’ve had trouble with RISP, just like us and yes I do understand that the cards are about the same. Our pitchers are having to battle, and that does put a lot of pressure on them. Looks like the Padres are a little off to me, and the Dodgers continues on. I see the Giants are still winning, and I don’t know who will fade? You’re welcome though. I think the reds will keep it up, and y’all will get some help. As for the cards, I just don’t know what I’m the heck Mo is doing?😩

Reactions: Vols4us
We do seem to match up well against them. This was not a must win but it was a luxury win. We were in it either way. I love it when they win one I didn't think they'd win. Brewers clearly had the pitching advantage these last 2 games and the Reds won 'em both, pinning two losses on their ace closer, no less
Y’all do match up well, and I think you can match up with any team. I’m sure y’all were thinking of not getting a win out of one of those games, but you did. It was quiet a surprise to y’all I’m sure. You beat Hader, and that as you know , it’s tough to do. Feeling pretty good going into the 2nd half, and boy y’all got them Friday. I think y’all will be just fine.

Carroll? You mean Jay Allen? I guess he was the boom or bust pick. These guys generally bust but we'll see. Jim Bowden did this a lot with little success. Johnny Oliver, Chad Mattola come to mind. But this is a different organization. Let's see what they can do

Yes - sorry. Got distracted and left the thread. Agree its boom or bust, but the talent level on the farm has improved so that they can take a few chances with guys with that upside IMO.

Reactions: Sea Ray
It looks like the Brewers starting fading after y’all played them. You know you’re right about their BA. They’ve had trouble with RISP, just like us and yes I do understand that the cards are about the same. Our pitchers are having to battle, and that does put a lot of pressure on them. Looks like the Padres are a little off to me, and the Dodgers continues on. I see the Giants are still winning, and I don’t know who will fade? You’re welcome though. I think the reds will keep it up, and y’all will get some help. As for the cards, I just don’t know what I’m the heck Mo is doing?😩

Trade deadline deals are usually good for the Cards. Still time to get in the race. It seems the Padres might be the ones to fade, but it's still early.

Reactions: Orange defense
Just going to throw this out there in support of it being a new day in Cincy. Votto accepting his new role while staying fired up and a good teammate has been vitally important. It's not just his team any more and totally dependent on his performance. With Nick C and Wink taking big steps to go with the play of India and Stephenson - the team chemistry changed for the better. Add in DJ working on improving the staff - very encouraging.

Reds are getting good reports on their draft to this point. All but one are college players, many about 22 yrs old. They should be able to hit the ground running. With the reduced minor leagues, I think teams are more hesitant to take chances on HS kids. Interesting that the Reds took a couple guys that the Vols faced in the college WS, from Ore St and U Va

Reds are getting good reports on their draft to this point. All but one are college players, many about 22 yrs old. They should be able to hit the ground running. With the reduced minor leagues, I think teams are more hesitant to take chances on HS kids. Interesting that the Reds took a couple guys that the Vols faced in the college WS, from Ore St and U Va

Saw that and thought the same thing. Wise decisions IMO. The org has a history of developing players for a long time before bringing them up and it looks like the trend/analytics is pointing toward drafting the college guys to reduce that investment cost. May get a better "hit" rate on them as well - will see. It works in the other major sports, so I don't know why it wouldn't for MLB. Especially with NIL money flowing - more kids will go to college first to improve their draft stock that would have signed out of HS in lower rounds IMO.

Trade deadline deals are usually good for the Cards. Still time to get in the race. It seems the Padres might be the ones to fade, but it's still early.
I was watching y’all, or I kept my eyes on y’all before y’all played us, and I thought then that to myself that your team was tough. When y’all swept us, then I had a strange feeling that there was something up from this team that could be in it, or even win It. When you was closing the gap on the Brewers, then took three of four, then that strange feeling became a reality. As for the cards, we might can get back into it, but I’m certainly along with other card fans just don’t have the faith of that front office to make any moves. Possible? Yes, but MO is just simply wi shy washy. He says one minute that we will buy, then a week later we don’t need any help. Well we he says something different. I think we’re all tired of him making excuses of acquiring help. Right now the fans are at a low morale with that front office.

I was watching y’all, or I kept my eyes on y’all before y’all played us, and I thought then that to myself that your team was tough. When y’all swept us, then I had a strange feeling that there was something up from this team that could be in it, or even win It. When you was closing the gap on the Brewers, then took three of four, then that strange feeling became a reality. As for the cards, we might can get back into it, but I’m certainly along with other card fans just don’t have the faith of that front office to make any moves. Possible? Yes, but MO is just simply wi shy washy. He says one minute that we will buy, then a week later we don’t need any help. Well we he says something different. I think we’re all tired of him making excuses of acquiring help. Right now the fans are at a low morale with that front office.

We know that feeling all too well for way too many years. Would rather see your guys stay competitive. Iron sharpens iron. When the division is tough with several teams being playoff quality it makes them all better when it matters most.

Reactions: Orange defense
We know that feeling all too well for way too many years. Would rather see your guys stay competitive. Iron sharpens iron. When the division is tough with several teams being playoff quality it makes them all better when it matters most.
I didn’t think about it that way, but yea it does make the teams better when each of us are competitive. I hope we all can keep the division tough, and get at least two in the playoffs from the central again. I do think it’s time for someone to take out the giants, Mets, padres and any other team from the central.

They had a legitimate shot last year. Heck they made the playoffs. I'm just glad that they're playing meaningful baseball in late July

I just felt like last season was so convoluted with the COVID. Even making it I never felt like they would go far and it took an expanded field to get in. It just appears to me the club is poised for more long term success. More weapons and ways to win with a farm that has been strongly upgraded with talent from this draft. Will see, never know how it will actually turn out tho...

I just felt like last season was so convoluted with the COVID. Even making it I never felt like they would go far and it took an expanded field to get in. It just appears to me the club is poised for more long term success. More weapons and ways to win with a farm that has been strongly upgraded with talent from this draft. Will see, never know how it will actually turn out tho...

I'm pleasantly surprised that they've done so well. I saw a weaker team coming out of Spring Training than we had in Oct. Our bullpen had been gutted and we'd lost our Cy Young award winning starter. The offense was pretty much unchanged and they didn't hit a lick last year. Of course with C19, all bets were off. This year the offense is exciting and gives a fan the idea that you're never out of it. I am floored that the bullpen has stayed "together" since losing Lorenzen, Sims and Antone

VN Store

Back