Da Reds thread

I am going to state the obvious regardless of the fan boy attacks I may get as I have in the past. Votto needs to go. Third season in a row that is trending down at an accelerated rate. If he is unwilling to be traded or receive a settlement, he needs to be released. They can wait until after the season if necessary since it is nearly over. They need to remove the temptation of playing the guy since he has become a half a season player who now has less success hitting lefties and is losing his past strength of knowing the strike zone. That's an age related eyes and reflexes thing. He is taking a spot on the roster that should be used to find the first baseman of the future, or preferably, move Suarez or Moose there so Senzel can play one of his two natural infield positions that would add value to the IF defense. Shogo can go to CF full time until a CF of the future is acquired or developed.

I have never seen this org be more lost in what they are trying to do. Bell is a Price like disaster so far. He'll get another season regardless. Zinter is on the clock. You knew you had a winner in DJ as pitching coach Day One. You know you don't with Zinter. This team is not ready for full blown analytics - they don't have the roster for it currently. They may not have the manager and overall coaching staff for it.

Play the talent, not the mediocre everyday players that bring you continued losing seasons. Casali needs to go, Stephenson needs to replace and now would be the time to do it to give him a month of games to prepare for 2021. Garcia needs brought in to play for Galvis, who can be the IF sub. Same reason as Stephenson. They tried to sell Galvis as the starter all last off-season because they struck out on getting a proven guy. There are good reasons Toronto moved on from him with youth, so should this org. The rest of the season should be 2021 tryout time for the pitching staff. Make trades of the guys who will be gone if you can. If not, sit them and use the other arms.

First step worked. Votto to the bench. Garcia brought up and had a really good first game. Dumped Strop. Tyler Stephenson needs brought up. Move Casali or Barnie for value, preferably another arm or two. Moose went to 1B for the night. So it becomes obvious what can and should happen next season with bringing Senzel into the IF. So much more line-up flexibility and speed when Votto is out of it. Helps both the O and the D.

Too much success. Bring Votto back and even though he gets a few hits, can't score and can't pitch. The good news is I like having Archie Bradley on board to shore up the pen. The bad news, this team blows. Looks like the Cards are going to run rule (I wish) them tonight.

Finally starting to play a little baseball it appears. Take 2/3 from the Cards on the road. Take first two from the Rats. Need to take the next two. 11 more to go and they need to take at least 7-8 to have a good shot at the WC. But those BA's are atrocious. #30 out of 30 with a team BA of .213 is not what anybody expected. Hopefully, by the end and with a good win streak that will look better. Which is crazy to even think is possible when you have the worst hitting team in MLB other than HR's - which has given them the W's they have. #30 in BA, #5 in HR's.

Doubt they need to worry about Castellanos moving on. With his production he will not be in demand from teams willing to spend more money than what he is currently making.

Despite it all the line-up for 2021 is clearing up. Garcia at SS and Stephenson at C are real things. Moose needs to move to 1B and Senzel to 2B where he belongs if the FO will wake up. Farmer stays at utility now that he has proven he can play SS and hit, to go with his other back-up positions. With Wink, Shogo, Nick-C and Goodwin the OF is pretty well set. Votto goes to the DH. Keep one of TB or Casali. All contingent on a mega trade deal not happening. Would rather they focus the money on pitching. Losing Bauer is going to leave a mark - Disco, not at all. I think the hitting situation now is an aberration that will return to norm next season.

Pitching on the 4th day. 3 days rest*.

That's what he's been asking to do all year and they finally let him

Which is what all the greats from decades ago did. People forget the 4 man SP rotation was the way it was done by all teams.

They limit their innings so much during the season there is no good reason to sit them the extra day at crunch time. Give the ball to the warriors when it is time.

Nice to finally have a shot at the playoffs. This practice season for 2021 should give Williams and Krall a good indication of what they need to do in the offseason to take the next step.

Reactions: VolInDayton
Which is what all the greats from decades ago did. People forget the 4 man SP rotation was the way it was done by all teams.

They limit their innings so much during the season there is no good reason to sit them the extra day at crunch time. Give the ball to the warriors when it is time.

Nice to finally have a shot at the playoffs. This practice season for 2021 should give Williams and Krall a good indication of what they need to do in the offseason to take the next step.
It's great having meaningful baseball this late in the year to bring us into football season. The Twins are a great team, but hopefully the Reds ride this hot streak into the playoffs and can make some noise. It's hard to not be confident in a series when we can get our Bauer, Gray, and Castillo lined up.

Reactions: Vols4us
Reds can clinch tonight if I’m right by winning tonight and either a Brewers loss, a Phillies loss, or 2 Giant losses in their doubleheader.

If you would have told me during the middle part of our season that we would be in the playoffs I'd laugh in your face. Not sure how far we'll go but damn it feels good. I really hope we can at least advance because Votto deserves a playoff series win in his career.

Feels good today. never thought they would get it done after those first 40 games and being 6 games under .500. They showed a lot of heart. Even Bell seem to find his groove more during the stretch run.

Worst BA in MLB at .211. Most HR's tied to total runs scored so far in MLB history at over 60%. Weird. I hope they can reset that as they head into the playoffs. This team will be a nightmare in short series playoffs with the SP's and good pen.

VN Store

Back