Da Reds thread

Not the way to start a short season in your own ballpark against a bottom feeder. Word is that both Moose and Senzel may have COVID. Will soon know if true.

What in the world happened to the pen in the off season? Thankfully, Moose and Nick-S were back tonight. MLB screwed them out of a game or two. Add in Nick-C and Sonny's nights and you get a W. But man, the pen stinks.

Votto goes on the IR for an unknown reason, possibly COVID. The team responds with two W's, good pitching, good D, and timely hitting. Meanwhile Bell still does not know how to fill out the batting order. By all means have guys who are hitting less than .100 at the top of the order and guys actually hitting the ball at the back of the order - game after game.

At least he left Bauer in to finish his 2 hit shut out. After the last few idiot moves to pull the starter early while leading the game, maybe he has learned a lesson. Hopefully. Not holding my breath.

This team blows. Really didn't see it coming. Now the hitting is as bad as the pen. How can a reliever give up 8 runs in 1.2 innings with only 4 hits? lol. How is that even possible? Better yet, why is it possible?

“We haven’t scored a lot of runs recently and that puts a lot of added pressure on the bullpen,” Williams said. “The performance of starting pitching has been so good that when we’ve given up runs later in the game, it’s felt a lot worse because we’ve been putting up a lot of zeros early.”

Williams said that before Thursday night’s 13-0 drubbing and a third straight loss since reaching .500 on Monday.

Straight from an interview in The Athletic. The team President of Baseball Operations is clueless. He signed a better roster. Check. Did he sign a better manager than Price, who then signed better coaches that Price had? Not checked. Pretty obvious when the team batting average is below the Mendoza Line and the pen will be setting records for incompetency at their current pace. If the POBO does not understand the issues, the losing will continue.

The only strength they have is starting pitching. So why are they still pulling the SP's early, especially in a short season where they will only have a dozen starts. Two of them, Bauer and Disco will probably not be re-signed. Take care of Gray and Castillo to make sure they are not overworked - but the other two can go 9 innings if needed until the pen turns it around.

Bell still cannot understand that you have your most disruptive hitter/runner at the top of order. That's Senzel, not Shogo. Shogo should bat in the 2 hole. The best hitter is Castellanos currently. If Moose is in, he hits clean up until Suarez gets his stroke, then they reverse. Votto is #6. That's where he is in his career. The other guys go ahead of him because they are better and they do not need a bad runner gumming it up in the top half of the order. You don't make out a batting order based on annual compensation. There is minimal production out of the DH currently, so why have that person hit at #6 or #7? Dumb. Galvis goes there, then Barnhart. The DH should bat 9th because Ervin has speed and Winker makes contact. If one of the starters in the first 8 in the order is out, you simply roll up the order to their spot and add the replacement in at #8. Leave the DH like it is until one or both get their acts together and then they can be inserted where needed. If they get on ahead of Senzel, they are good enough on the base paths to not gum it up. Forget the righty/lefty alternating stuff. In the above they are R-L-R-R-R-L-S-S-P (platoon).

Reactions: larjoranj
19th in team ERA, 17th in team OPS (28th in BA). They are who the stats say they are, an 8-11 team. The only way back from here is for some of the proven players to get their acts together. Disco - give up 9 hits and 9 earned runs in 2 IP? Get a day job.

A) We are used to it.
B) Neither does he.

Embarrassing.

What manager has his oldest player who is hitting sub .250 and runs like a turtle lead off? Yeah, ours.
If it makes you feel any better, it cost me a nice chunk of change

Been awhile but my hopes for this season have been clearly crushed. Most nights I have no idea what Bell is hoping to accomplish. Nor do I understand the FO's approach to not bring Tyler Stephenson up given our awful offensive production from the catching duo right now.

Been awhile but my hopes for this season have been clearly crushed. Most nights I have no idea what Bell is hoping to accomplish. Nor do I understand the FO's approach to not bring Tyler Stephenson up given our awful offensive production from the catching duo right now.

Pretty well sums it up. Clueless team and org it appears.

Who hits an aging, slow, .215 hitter at lead off?

VN Store

Back