Da Reds thread

Reds pitching also set a new franchise with 18 Ks in a 9 inning game. Previous record was set back on 6/18/13.

Chris Welsh said something about Riggelman having to be careful of the regular bench players feelings when deciding how much to use Lorenzen. Obviously with a greater number of at bats he can't keep this pace up but as long as he produces more than some others and it doesn't interfere with his pitching then if the others guys don't like it they need to step their games up

Hunter Greene had his best day pitching as a pro:

7 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, and 10 strikeouts on 69 pitches.

Interesting story in Sports Illustrated this week about Johnny Bench. His salary in 1970 was 85,000. He was NL MVP that year with 45 HR and 148 RBI. Votto makes 123,000 a game.

Another interesting story - In 1969 Gerry Arrigo was pitching and Bench thought his arm was tired and his fastball had lost it's pop so Bench called a curveball. Arrigo shook him off and threw a fastball. Bench caught it with his bare hand. Point made.

They also mentioned his 2 youngest kids are 8 and 12. Not bad for a 70 year old man

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotty's Flat Top
Reds inked India (received $5.3 million - slot $5,946,400), Mike Siani (received $2 million - slot $512,800), and Byrne (received $260,000). India and Siani will report to Greeneville while Byrne will go to Daytona.

Ready to see how we start out the 2nd half and what deals get made...I think the only deal is Harvey for some prospects.

Hot play didn't carry over. Worst 3 consecutive games by the starting pitching in 2 months. That stinker by Harvey probably dinged his trade value.

I'm all for trading Duvall at this point. Watching him try and bat is getting as bad as watching Billy Hamilton.

Dilson Herrera walks it off for the Reds. Also I wonder if Gennett is hurt worse than we know? He is only 14 for 57 in July.

I don't understand why we kept the bunt on tonight after they showed they had the wheel on. Either hit, or fake bunt and slap or keep the bunt on but start the runners. 3rd baseman can't cover and SS has to catch the ball on the run. Even if you miss the bunt and the runner gets thrown out at 3rd you've got the other runner at 2nd with 1 out.

I don't understand why we kept the bunt on tonight after they showed they had the wheel on. Either hit, or fake bunt and slap or keep the bunt on but start the runners. 3rd baseman can't cover and SS has to catch the ball on the run. Even if you miss the bunt and the runner gets thrown out at 3rd you've got the other runner at 2nd with 1 out.

I just don't understand Riggleman's fascination with the bunt. I can slightly understand the Casali situation because he is a career .207 hitter but I don't get asking guys like Gennett and Peraza bunt in key situations.

Mahle has been brutal the last 3 starts. With Homer back he might get sent down to work out the kinks. He wants to pitch up but doesn't throw hard enough most games and when he misses the corner he's getting hammered. He gets behind constantly. When he gets ahead he can't put guys away. It's uncanny how many times he'll get a 2 strike count and guys will foul off 3 or 4 pitches and then his pitch count soars. Terrible breaking pitch. Right now he doesn't look like he has major league stuff.

So it looks like Harvey will be the only Red traded. I saw a tweet saying they were in talks with the Brewers for him.

First Reds trade sends Duvall to Atlanta for Lucas Sims, Matt Wisler, and Preston Tucker. I expect Harvey to go but that will be the only two IMO.

So the guys in the Braves thread are saying Tucker is a 4th OFer and the pitchers are what you expect with a chance of developing into something. Guess that's as good as we were going to get. I do wonder though if Hamilton has a shot at being traded today? I know Cleveland is reportedly interested in him.

We got more than I would expect for Duvall but I think all 3 are prayers. Tucker career MLB .227 AVG .281 OBP .412 SLG. Never stolen a base. Strikes out 25 % of ABs. The scouting report on both pitchers was glowing 4 or 5 years ago. Seems like they just didn't pan out. I guess we hope 1 will turn into a #4 or #5? Sims is 24 and Wisler is 25. Assuming a starting OF of Winker, Schebler and Senzel next year? or a 4 man rotation if Hamilton stays - if 1 of these pitchers can help as a back end guy or in the pen it will have been a good trade.

So I'm honestly a bit surprised Harvey wasn't traded. Not that I'm complaining, I have nothing but respect for him since coming over. Hopefully (though I doubt it) this may signal he has interest in resigning with us this off-season.

Harper or Soto better be getting drilled tomorrow. I get Harper was hit in the knee by an 80MPH pitch but there is no excuse for drilling Votto with a 95+ pitch in the knee. Joey wasn't too happy with it either, he jawed quite a bit with the Nats.

Just noticed Mahle was sent down last week. Pitched 6 for Louisville yesterday. 7 hits and 3 runs. Man I thought he might have a chance at the ROY after that 7 game stretch where his ERA was about 2.25. Thought he might win 15 games. Those last 4 starts were as bad as I've seen.

At what point do you cut Homer loose? His arm has been completely healthy for over a year now and he just can't get anybody out. He is 1-13 and the Reds are 2-17 in his starts this year. I know they are praying he'll turn a corner and they'll get some return on that ridiculous contract-but it ain't gonna happen. He's making 21 million this year and 23 million next year. I don't count the years he was hurt-but assuming he stays healthy next year and pitches for the Reds he may turn out to be the worst value player in MLB history. If he makes 5 more starts he will have 24 for the year. Has any pitcher ever had 24 healthy starts in a season and won 1 game? He's getting paid 21 million dollars per win. There have been (204) 20 game losers since 1900. 1 of them had an ERA as bad as Homer.

Back for a season review. Despite not posting here most of the season, I continued to watch at least parts of 80+% of their games.

A lot of questions to be answered in the off season. Been following the blogs and analysts. The items below are on all of their lists.

1) Manager? Anybody's guess on that one. Riggles did better than Pryce, but who knows if it was good enough and if they want to stay old school.
2) New deal for Scooter? Favorite of owner, Bob C. Senzel is headed to the International League in October to start working in the OF, so that tells me a new deal is in the works for Scooter. Senzel to be initially targeted for LF, but options open to develop for CF. What does that say about Winker and Hamilton?
3) Billy will be due a new deal as he enters his last year. Will he get it or will they move on and trade? Defensive/baserunning wiz with a swiss cheese bat. He's also a favorite of Bob C.
4) About time they worked Lorenzen back into the rotation. He's built strong to be an innings eater and now has enough pitches.
5) Homer. Do something with this guy. He's an albatross.
6) Who do you trade of the guys above to attract another proven SP or two? We know it will not be Suarez, Peraza, Votto, and probably not Schebler. Catcher is set with Barnhart and Casali. Will they try to sign Harvey? Need at least 2 more proven SP's to compete for the playoffs. With Iggy, Hughes and Hernandez the pen is solid.

Personally, I hope Senzel becomes Zobrist, Jr. for the club. He can play 2B, 3B, potentially SS, and being trained into the OF. Get him ready to go and in the line-up everyday. In the FO Dick Williams is going with more analytics than the club has used in the past, so training guys to play multiple positions like the Cubs do makes sense. Keep Dixon because he is a Swiss Army Knife for like 7 positions. He has power and should get better at the plate with playing time. Ervin took a step forward. Really good 4th OF'er. So it appears the primary focus by the FO has to be on SP's and the manager.

Will revisit all of this on here over the off season as stuff happens. Go Reds.

Whelp they named Cincinnati native David Bell as our next manager. He has been in the Reds system before being the manager for our old AA club for three seasons and the manager over at Louisville for a season. I was really hoping for a proven guy like Girardi or John Farrell honestly. Honestly this is lackluster for me, what message does this send to the fanbase from the ownership? Bell may turn into a great manager but this is not awe inspiring for me.

VN Store

Back