Joey Votto's last 162 games

41 doubles, 2 triples, 34 homers
114 runs, 110 RBI
113 BB, 105 K
.335/.440/.589

Reds 70-92

What a waste.

-High Heat's twitter

Any of you Reds fans know if this is an Alt cap they wear ?
s-l500.png

Could Suarez handle the OF?

I used to think that would be an automatic for him to go to LF and Duvall to RF since he's played RF some and has a strong arm. But Schebler is hitting much better and is competent on D. They are wanting to bring Winker up when the arb clock stops soon, so it looks like it will be too crowded for Suarez there. He will be arbitration eligible, so it will be interesting if they are able to get a 4 year deal done to make it easier to work a trade to open it up for Nick. They say they are having Nick only play 3B.

I have always wanted to see Suarez at 2B when they first acquired him and he has a little experience there. His range is good and he can turn the DP. Have Peraza go to his natural SS when they move Cozy (which is still the plan). Dilson Hererra has not shown much so far in Louisville at 2B. Scooter Gennett can be a good transition guy at 2B until they figure it out. But would love Suarez to give that a shot.

For those that think defense doesn't matter for big hitters that play 1B, please go watch a replay of Schwarber's once bouncer at JV in the 2nd inning against the Cubs tonight. What was a 1-1 game became a 5-1 game in that inning because Mr. Votto was scared to get in front of a sharply hit ground ball. He's the 32 years old star, not an 8 year old LL kid. When you watch it remember two things - he has played the position for the team for most all of his career and this is what all Reds fans have seen on a regular basis for the same period. The official scorer in Cincy bends over backwards not to give him errors on stuff like this all of the time. Most all of the fans and posters laugh about it. The point is that it costs wins. If you watch the games you know this, it will not be in the stats/box score. You would never see that kind of play happen with Rizzo, Freeman or Goldschmidt.

I love the guy's hitting. He's back fully to being the MVP JV at the plate. But his D is not even Class A quality after all this time.

For those that think defense doesn't matter for big hitters that play 1B, please go watch a replay of Schwarber's once bouncer at JV in the 2nd inning against the Cubs tonight. What was a 1-1 game became a 5-1 game in that inning because Mr. Votto was scared to get in front of a sharply hit ground ball. He's the 32 years old star, not an 8 year old LL kid. When you watch it remember two things - he has played the position for the team for most all of his career and this is what all Reds fans have seen on a regular basis for the same period. The official scorer in Cincy bends over backwards not to give him errors on stuff like this all of the time. Most all of the fans and posters laugh about it. The point is that it costs wins. If you watch the games you know this, it will not be in the stats/box score. You would never see that kind of play happen with Rizzo, Freeman or Goldschmidt.

I love the guy's hitting. He's back fully to being the MVP JV at the plate. But his D is not even Class A quality after all this time.

Lol, yeah lets just cherry pick individual plays to fit a narrative. The facts are:

UZR: 2.7 is second among first baseman behind Brandon Belt

RZR: .817 good for 7th in the league

Range Runs: 1.1 good for fourth in the league

Defensive Value: -0.3 good for third behind Brandon Belt and Joe Mauer.

DRS: 4 tied with Paul Goldshmidt for second behind Brandon Belt

Now you can definitely make the case that the publicly available defensive metrics have their flaws and that they do take a larger sample size into the season to normalize. However, without cherry picking individual plays here and there you cannot logically make the argument that he is worse than middle of the road defensively (he fell between 14 and 16 in most metrics last year in his worst season) much less try to say he is not even class a quality.

Seriously...Snit should be considered to be fired for having Bonifacio be the first pinch hitter

Lol, yeah lets just cherry pick individual plays to fit a narrative. The facts are:

UZR: 2.7 is second among first baseman behind Brandon Belt

RZR: .817 good for 7th in the league

Range Runs: 1.1 good for fourth in the league

Defensive Value: -0.3 good for third behind Brandon Belt and Joe Mauer.

DRS: 4 tied with Paul Goldshmidt for second behind Brandon Belt

Now you can definitely make the case that the publicly available defensive metrics have their flaws and that they do take a larger sample size into the season to normalize. However, without cherry picking individual plays here and there you cannot logically make the argument that he is worse than middle of the road defensively (he fell between 14 and 16 in most metrics last year in his worst season) much less try to say he is not even class a quality.

You have no idea what you are talking about since you rarely watch a Reds game. You are looking at a favorably scored 2 months - go look at the career and watch the games.

Same for Freddie Freeman. Or Trout.

It is a waste. The problem for the Reds org is nobody is coming out to watch JV and the strong O performance of the team this season because they all know the team will be at the bottom again this year and the foreseeable future because of the pitching.

At least Atlanta has a new ballpark. lol. I would pay to see Mike Trout play no matter what.

Price is comical. Aldeman was 3 outs away from a complete game shutout but pulls in in the 9th. Puts Wojo in who lets two doubles and a run scored and gets pulled after one out and now puts in Raisel Iglesias who allows another run. I would have given Tim the chance to finish the game out while saving the pen but I guess they're smarter than me.

Price is comical. Aldeman was 3 outs away from a complete game shutout but pulls in in the 9th. Puts Wojo in who lets two double plays and a run scored and gets pulled after one out and now puts in Raisel Iglesias who allows another run. I would have given Tim the chance to finish the game out while saving the pen but I guess they're smarter than me.

No, they are not smarter. The Phils could not do anything with him. What difference would it have made if he pitched 110 pitches instead of a 100? Nothing. They would be back taking a shower now.

Votto making it even harder for them. Good grief.

We've really got to find a replacement for Arroyo I cringe every time I see him penciled in for a start.

We've really got to find a replacement for Arroyo I cringe every time I see him penciled in for a start.

Both BA and Feldman as SP's is mind-blowing. It's coming down to whoever they can find at this point. The offense at over 5 runs per game keeps bailing them out.

Senzel is already the #6 overall prospect in Baseball America. .280/.350+ slash line at Daytona with a promotion likely soon to Pensacola. Getting an RBI every other game and on pace to steal 20 bases, which nobody realized he could do. Analysts see him as more of a Winker style hitter with strong OBP.

Scooter - the 17th in MLB history to do the 4 HR thing. Never in a million years would anybody ever guess it would be him. Congrats to one of the good guys.

Reactions: 1 person
Scooter - the 17th in MLB history to do the 4 HR thing. Never in a million years would anybody ever guess it would be him. Congrats to one of the good guys.

Yep was amazing to say I watched history last night and it doesn't hurt it was against St. Louis :p

I was really hoping he'd hit for the cycle just needed a three run homer to do it but still cool. Neat fact before last night the Reds had two 4 home run games against them.

Reactions: 2 people
Yep was amazing to say I watched history last night and it doesn't hurt it was against St. Louis :p

I was really hoping he'd hit for the cycle just needed a three run homer to do it but still cool. Neat fact before last night the Reds had two 4 home run games against them.

I agree. Been on the MLB thread that both teams share. All of the Cards fans' posts are doomsday - time to rebuild type stuff. Our fans are all 'been there' type posts. lol. Another great come from behind win last night. All this team needs is reasonably good SP's and it is playoff caliber. Votto is back to his 2010 self, but now there is a stronger hitting supporting cast. The pen is 180 degrees better.

Was through Lebanon where Scooter grew up last year while going to visit my dad's gravesite. To see a local Cincy area kid on the team does my heart good. Especially with the record tying night he had.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back