Da Reds thread

Reds now 5-2 after 7-1 pounding of Pirates!

Suarez Gennett both hit their 2nd HR's
Schebler & Duvall continue to drive in runs
Bullpen pitches 7 hitless innings!

Reds now 5-2 after 7-1 pounding of Pirates!

Suarez Gennett both hit their 2nd HR's
Schebler & Duvall continue to drive in runs
Bullpen pitches 7 hitless innings!

Who would have thought after last season our pitching would be good? That said we're in a weather delay for tonight's game.

World Series here we come!! :popcorn:

Starting to believe again, Appy. All of this with JV not hitting yet. Who knew the pitching would be this great? Hat's off to Williams, Price, and the coaching staff. A lot to look forward to regardless of the final outcome of the season. Feels good to be positive again.

FWIW I am loving the analytics method for using the pitchers. They have the right staff to do it with the unproven starters, but overall they are very talented pitchers. Multi innings usage of the pen no matter the inning. The off night Finnegan had was a perfect example of using it. Lorenzen came in and shut the door on the rally and they went multi inning with the pen the rest of the way. Loved it.

We're going to really have to find a replacement for Arroyo's spot in the rotation if we want to stay competitive.

Price is still wanting to give BA more time. I think BA pulls himself out of it if things don't improve. It sounds like Romano may be ready to be brought up sooner rather than later, possibly for Sunday's start.

Starting to believe again, Appy. All of this with JV not hitting yet. Who knew the pitching would be this great? Hat's off to Williams, Price, and the coaching staff. A lot to look forward to regardless of the final outcome of the season. Feels good to be positive again.

FWIW I am loving the analytics method for using the pitchers. They have the right staff to do it with the unproven starters, but overall they are very talented pitchers. Multi innings usage of the pen no matter the inning. The off night Finnegan had was a perfect example of using it. Lorenzen came in and shut the door on the rally and they went multi inning with the pen the rest of the way. Loved it.

We're going to really have to find a replacement for Arroyo's spot in the rotation if we want to stay competitive.

Price is still wanting to give BA more time. I think BA pulls himself out of it if things don't improve. It sounds like Romano may be ready to be brought up sooner rather than later, possibly for Sunday's start.

Winker called up. Good to see if he can get it done in the bigs.
Who would have thought the day would come when I'm not the believer and you are V4us! We need multiple breakout seasons from unproven players. At best, imo, we finish 3rd in the central and 6-7 in the NL.

Arroyo was a mistake. I'm still in shock of that move. Quite a few more options out there besides him, doesn't make much sense.

SP will do us in imo. Pen is solid..which is mind boggling after last season. If we were to be in the playoff hunt I believe it will be due to small ball, very good defense and divisional foes being weaker than expected. JMO.

The season is young, and it's obviously a long season, so I'm all kinds of excited with how we're winning games. Hope we can keep it up.

Well - looked like they were tanking and it all flipped. Never dreamed they would be over .500 at this point with 3 SP's still out and only one lefty in the pen. The bats are waking up as well. Taking 6/7 from the Pirates cancels losing 6/7 with the Brewers.

Thank you Pirates and Giants, 9-1 vs those two so far in '17. :)

I've not been able to watch much this year, but from the looks of it some of this young talent is being developed. Hope to see Billy continue to improve OBP. As Vols4us has said many times, if he can get that OBP to .325+ this team will go.

After going back and forth for a couple years with Vols4us on Votto, I can at least understand where he was coming from. But now...I don't see how anyone can say anything negative about him. His overall numbers are right up there with the best in the game the last 2+ seasons, and if you look at him since the beginning of the 2010 season he's easily in the top 5, no matter how you slice it.

betr88.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Best hitting first baseman of the decade depending on what position you slot Miggy. Has a legitimate HOF case

I don't think Votto is HOFer YET. At least not a first ballot guy. He's pretty close though (and with a few more good seasons should be)

Thank you Pirates and Giants, 9-1 vs those two so far in '17. :)

I've not been able to watch much this year, but from the looks of it some of this young talent is being developed. Hope to see Billy continue to improve OBP. As Vols4us has said many times, if he can get that OBP to .325+ this team will go.

After going back and forth for a couple years with Vols4us on Votto, I can at least understand where he was coming from. But now...I don't see how anyone can say anything negative about him. His overall numbers are right up there with the best in the game the last 2+ seasons, and if you look at him since the beginning of the 2010 season he's easily in the top 5, no matter how you slice it.

betr88.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Good post, Appy. JV is back to the JV they contracted at the plate, since mid-season last year. His D is what hurts him in the HOF discussion. If he could just be average it would help. Hope he gets there.

Billy has to become more consistent. Time for him to be what he is capable of being. His speed and instincts are incredible. It's a different team offensively when he gets on base regularly. It's also helped him and the team that that they have Cozy behind him now. A direct correlation when they moved Peraza back to 7th and Cozy up. Billy started seeing better pitches to hit and he stopped pressing too hard to get on base.

Last edited:
Who would have thought the day would come when I'm not the believer and you are V4us! We need multiple breakout seasons from unproven players. At best, imo, we finish 3rd in the central and 6-7 in the NL.

Arroyo was a mistake. I'm still in shock of that move. Quite a few more options out there besides him, doesn't make much sense.

SP will do us in imo. Pen is solid..which is mind boggling after last season. If we were to be in the playoff hunt I believe it will be due to small ball, very good defense and divisional foes being weaker than expected. JMO.

The season is young, and it's obviously a long season, so I'm all kinds of excited with how we're winning games. Hope we can keep it up.

:)

BA is not a long term fix. But he is now giving them some quality starts and eating innings when they need it in the worst way. Still 3 SP's out and only one LH in the pen. He is likely to be a pitching coach in the org when he calls it quits.

You hit it on the head - the division is weaker. I doubt the Brewers will continue to pound their way to wins all season and the Cubs have pitching issues. So there is a legitimate shot at a WC spot if the SP comes together. The pen has been great and there is a lot of talent there.

MLBTR posted that Bob and Dicky are investing big in the farm system, scouting, analytics, etc. That is something that has been sorely needed and will pay huge benefits over time. They are starting to develop some trading chips to upgrade the roster over the next couple of years. I find myself more optimistic and pleasantly surprised with Dicky's performance so far.

VN Store

Back