DA MATH!! How many spots are open/left to fill?

Some are forgetting one key part of the rule that allows a team to replace up to 7 transfers. You can only replace players who enter the portal after the fall term or Dec 15 whichever is earlier. We’ve only had 2 enter since then. They’ve both been replaced. Harrison Bailey entered before the semester was up so he and others like him cannot be replaced. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the way it was reported. So we will need some to leave just to get to 85 and once we do we can replace any new transfers.

Some are forgetting one key part of the rule that allows a team to replace up to 7 transfers. You can only replace players who enter the portal after the fall term or Dec 15 whichever is earlier. We’ve only had 2 enter since then. They’ve both been replaced. Harrison Bailey entered before the semester was up so he and others like him cannot be replaced. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the way it was reported. So we will need some to leave just to get to 85 and once we do we can replace any new transfers.

If they finish the semester of classes their spot can still be replaced.

What do you all think we have realistically left for scholarships?

The math is very hard with the portal being a thing.

I was thinking about 5-8 but some know more than me.

Thanks for any future enlightenment!!
They should all be DBs and LBs that's all I know

If they finish the semester of classes their spot can still be replaced.

This. So as long as Bailey, Evans, etc. remained enrolled in classes through 12/15, their spots can be opened up. I think there is room to get a LB, DL, DB, and RB, maybe more.

How do we suddenly have so many scholarship players after losing so many last year?

Go view LWSVOL's thread
Look at 2022 Roster
and you can see all the counters by class with potential to return. Short version is 2020 did not count in players 5 year to play 4 clock and more guys are taking advantage by being around up to 6 years.

Reactions: T2P_Priceless
I think the root of where we are with this is we have 85 scholarships, and we had limited people leave after having ~70 scholarships used this year. We are already near 85 again with our large recruiting class coming in and a couple transfers. The calculus of when Bailey left doesn't really matter because he isn't on the roster, and we're at 85. Someone ELSE will have to leave to fill another spot.

Callahan seems pretty sure about us giving up 5 spots, so I'd agree that we have 5 left. I'm mostly curious if we take any more HS players in Feb or we just rely on more transfers.

Price on the VQ Podcast today said essentially that the high school ranks just aren't looking prosperous for February. The staff doesn't seem to see a ton of difference makers left on the market. They are recruiting the Moten kid from South Florida, but he is a Miami legacy (I believe his brother played there), and he is from Miami. So, that only makes sense for him.

We signed 20 guys, so far have brought in 2 transfers so all together 22, you can get the scholarship space back for players who transfer, but only up to 7 spots. So max we could sign is 32
But that doesn’t factor in the self imposed reduction.

On another note, what's to stop a school from using up all their PWO spots on quality recruits now? Except maybe convincing them of their security on the team? Couldn't NIL money be more than enough to outweigh paying tuition though?
Consider the math. You'd have to pay NiL (much of which other schools would already be offering) PLUS scholarship and benefits.

You're talking a 30-100k premium for someone you're taking on as a walk-on. Plus no player wants to be considered a walk-on. Not even a blueshirt. It'a a major image/ego thing.

In short, I don't buy this fan fiction. Unless a fanbase has near unlimited funds compared to others. Otherwise, the premium needed to convince a kid to take on being a walk-on and making up the cost of a full-ride scholarship plus the standard NiL deal...it's just too much.

It's not when one enters the portal, which isn't a meaningful action. It's when they depart.

Consider the math. You'd have to pay NiL (much of which other schools would already be offering) PLUS scholarship and benefits.

You're talking a 30-100k premium for someone you're taking on as a walk-on. Plus no player wants to be considered a walk-on. Not even a blueshirt. It'a a major image/ego thing.

In short, I don't buy this fan fiction. Unless a fanbase has near unlimited funds compared to others. Otherwise, the premium needed to convince a kid to take on being a walk-on and making up the cost of a full-ride scholarship plus the standard NiL deal...it's just too much.
You read much about Texas schools and oil money? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they went at it this way.

I did math one time and the correct answer was 7, but I choose Threeve, so your mileage may vary when it comes to math, but the answer is probably threeve

Last edited:
Reactions: Devo182
FWIW in the Recruiting Chat last night on 247, RC seems to lean on Tennessee taking 4 to 5 more players, probably all portal and no additional freshmen.
So no moten?

Well, is what it is. 20 recruits is fine, just a little light on future 4-5 yr guys. Dcjwi

So no moten?

Well, is what it is. 20 recruits is fine, just a little light on future 4-5 yr guys. Dcjwi
They'll try for Moten but most expect him to go to Miami. Not sure about Miguel Mitchell, we are in his final 2 but maybe they think Florida for him?

VN Store

Back