DA MATH!! How many spots are open/left to fill?

Milehigh_Vol

What do you all think we have realistically left for scholarships?

The math is very hard with the portal being a thing.

I was thinking about 5-8 but some know more than me.

Thanks for any future enlightenment!!

Thank you
Just an educated guess but we self-impose five scholarships for our recruiting violations. If that's the case, we are only looking at the maximum seven from the portal. Two of those appear to be taken already so maybe five more if we qualify for the seven spots from the portal.

Reactions: norrislakevol
We signed 20 guys, so far have brought in 2 transfers so all together 22, you can get the scholarship space back for players who transfer, but only up to 7 spots. So max we could sign is 32

If the numbers that LWS posted for scholarships are correct then TN currently has 85 scholarship players (counting the incoming class of 2022). More players are going to have to transfer out in order to take any more since 85 is the limit. The so called "super seniors" count against the 85 limit this season.

EDIT: I see that LWS has updated his list this morning and he now shows 86 scholarship players

Last edited:
Just an educated guess but we self-impose five scholarships for our recruiting violations. If that's the case, we are only looking at the maximum seven from the portal. Two of those appear to be taken already so maybe five more if we qualify for the seven spots from the portal.
I donā€™t think we self impose. I hope we tell the ncaa to ead

Callahan seems pretty sure about us giving up 5 spots, so I'd agree that we have 5 left. I'm mostly curious if we take any more HS players in Feb or we just rely on more transfers.

Callahan seems pretty sure about us giving up 5 spots, so I'd agree that we have 5 left. I'm mostly curious if we take any more HS players in Feb or we just rely on more transfers.
I would think it depends on position and need. If the opportunity is there you do what you ā€œhaveā€ to do.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
We signed 20 guys, so far have brought in 2 transfers so all together 22, you can get the scholarship space back for players who transfer, but only up to 7 spots. So max we could sign is 32

If thatā€™s accurate, then I would expect we would see some of our players start to hit the portalā€¦those we might term ā€œnon-regrettable transfers.ā€ In order to make room for some incoming transfers, most of whom I hope are speedy defense guys.

If the numbers that LWS posted for scholarships are correct then TN currently has 85 scholarship players (counting the incoming class of 2022). More players are going to have to transfer out in order to take any more since 85 is the limit. The so called "super seniors" count against the 85 limit this season.

EDIT: I see that LWS has updated his list this morning and he now shows 86 scholarship players
Donā€™t forget that many donā€™t count towards the 85 limit. Due to Covid, teams will have between 90-100 until that extra year of eligibility phases out.

Donā€™t forget that many donā€™t count towards the 85 limit. Due to Covid, teams will have between 90-100 until that extra year of eligibility phases out.

They all count this year. It was a one time waiver and the NCAA has not made any adjustments.

Last edited:

What Callahan said on the Sports Source show in the 8th segment yesterday.

Reactions: Devo182
If thatā€™s accurate, then I would expect we would see some of our players start to hit the portalā€¦those we might term ā€œnon-regrettable transfers.ā€ In order to make room for some incoming transfers, most of whom I hope are speedy defense guys.
Or just need some already in the portal to actually leave. We have 4 just sitting in there rn.

Paging Harrison Bailey...

But I have no doubt the other couple/few will bounce by end of Spring. In the meantime we'll grab who we can from HS and the portal. Hopefully a few good ones join the portal from Bama/UGA here soon or we find some suitable HS croots show us late interest.

Because of our portal losses last year, I don't think our self-imposed reductions will have any affect on our max recruiting numbers this year.

Because of our portal losses last year, I don't think our self-imposed reductions will have any affect on our max recruiting numbers this year.
Outgoing players from last year have no effect on our number of signing spots. We don't get those spots back. Only ones that left in the last few weeks.

As others have said, the biggest factor at this point is the 85 limit. In this season and moving forward everyone counts to the 85. You have a scholarship, you count. We're at 86 once the entire freshman class shows up sometime in the summer by everything we currently know. Sucks but this means we will lose someone at some point off the roster. If we want to take any more transfers or late signing day additions, we will lose more than one person to get them a spot.

As others have said, the biggest factor at this point is the 85 limit. In this season and moving forward everyone counts to the 85. You have a scholarship, you count. We're at 86 once the entire freshman class shows up sometime in the summer by everything we currently know. Sucks but this means we will lose someone at some point off the roster. If we want to take any more transfers or late signing day additions, we will lose more than one person to get them a spot.
Meh. This is literally an annual occurrence.

There's a reason why "the numbers will work themselves out" is a commonly used phrase. People always leave...coaches know all the numbers ahead of time and will massage them as needed.

Meh. This is literally an annual occurrence.

There's a reason why "the numbers will work themselves out" is a commonly used phrase. People always leave...coaches know all the numbers ahead of time and will massage them as needed.
Agreed, my post wasn't meant to cause concern really as much to highlight why we should expect "numbers to work themselves out" to occur.

What do you all think we have realistically left for scholarships?

The math is very hard with the portal being a thing.

I was thinking about 5-8 but some know more than me.

Thanks for any future enlightenment!!
We should have as many as left available.
That's for certain šŸ‘

Considering they made it legal now, I'm not convinced we should self impose anything, or accept meekly any punishment from that sham organization.

On another note, what's to stop a school from using up all their PWO spots on quality recruits now? Except maybe convincing them of their security on the team? Couldn't NIL money be more than enough to outweigh paying tuition though?

VN Store

Back