Cutting the cord...

GiveEmSix

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

sling is probably best option. get an hd antennae for your TV's so you get the local channels....

as for devices, Roku and Amazon fire stick are probably the two best. i like Roku because it comes pre loaded with Amazon Prime, and you can down load apps at your leisure...not all devices will let you download all apps....so ask about that if you want access to more than just waht that device may allow.

of course, if you know somebody, you can get hacked amazon firesticks and have everything you ever wanted.

not that i know, but you know....:)

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

Recently ditched DIRECTV and picked up SLING. So far I like the package which includes all ESPN channels & SEC Network. Currently paying $25 a month.

So far Sling and local with HD Antenna for CBS,NBC,ABC and FOX is working very well for us even with all sling minus movie channels it's 40.00 a month MUCH less than Dish or DIRECTV

What kind of internet speed do you need to make this work? Just curious.

it's a lot cheaper to spend the $100-$200 on the devices and antennas (depending on how many tv's you have), and scrap cable/satellite.....1 time expense...

$8/month for Netflix
$9/month for Amazon prime
$15/Month for HBO NOW
$25/month for Sling w/SEC network

for roughly $60-$70/month you can have access to just about anything you'd want, and you never pay lease fees again for rented/leased equipment. no more weather outages...

and depending on your internet/phone provider, another $60/month...a lot of people go from spending $300 plus, to less than $150 by cutting the cord.

i know for me, i switched to ATT fiber from Spectrum/TWC cabel internet....put my pone on the internet, and went from spending $70/month on interent, $60 on phone, $180 on direct TV....($310/month) to less than $190/month when it was all said and done.

and that's only because i chose to keep some other features. i could probably save another $40 or so a month if i was so inclined....

you can spend as much or as little as you want...but for $60 month on content alone, it just doesn't get much better than doing the a la carte route...

I use Sling because I can start it in August and cancel it in January. Use your Sling credentials to log in to the ESPN app, it's much better than using Sling to watch the espn channels. We've not had cable for five years and haven't missed a thing. We get all the major networks with an antenna and Amazon fire tv takes care of the rest.

Playstation Vue hands down. Sling is awful compared to Vue

What kind of internet speed do you need to make this work? Just curious.

i'm pulling down 60+ BPS on ATT fiber over wifi. was pulling down 21 BPS on cable...the Fiber works much better....

you can upgrade cable internet though and pull over 100BPS, which, really you wouldn't need unless you're gaming on line....which i don't do. streaming...what i have works fine.

i can be on one TV, wife on the other, and the kids on ipads, and no issues.

Reactions: 1 person
Lucky you can go to all the home games - I would just go to a sports bar to watch the road games, rather than pay for cable -- and Im guessing CBS will carry the UF and Alabama games -- leaves only UK and Missouri, so if you did get anything make sure ESPN channels are in the lineup (GT game is already ESPN)

If you can get good antennae reception, then the picture is superior on the networks and is free. Then get Sling or similar(Sling is $15 for me through T-Mobile). Not even a debate.

If you do not get good local TV reception, it makes everything a little more difficult.

I am lucky with good reception. I have a standard HD TV and had friends over for the Super Bowl. Someone thought I had a 4K TV because my picture was so good.

Recently ditched DIRECTV and picked up SLING. So far I like the package which includes all ESPN channels & SEC Network. Currently paying $25 a month.

I had DirecTV for 5 years. Switched to Dish. Dish's "Joey" (wifi enabled receiver) consumes more bandwidth than DirecTV's "Hopper".

Today I got an invite from DirecTV which included:
1) a $200 debit card from ATT
2) $19.95 per month for 1 year (180 channels)
3) Free movie channels for 3 months (HBO, Cine, etc...)

I'm starting to play DirecTV and Dish against one another once the 2-year contract expires.

I cut the cord back in 2010 and have never regretted it. Sling is great as well as the Kodi app. I seen earlier this year that Youtube started offering cable channels also. If you got a decent internet connection it pays to leave cable behind. You are pi**ing your money away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

I cut the cable from Xfinity and went to droidstream tv. I went from about $200.00 a month to just my internet service which is about $54.00 per month. You can watch quite abit of programming for free, or you can get a subscription for usaiptv for $84.00 for a year and the selection is nearly limitless.

I have high speed internet 200/20mps for 54.99/mth. I use Roku as the platform for PSVue, Amazon (prime level), netflix and Hulu. Last season I had basically the same set-up, except I had Time Warner business class 90/5mps for $90/mth, and SlingTv. SlingTv helped me ensure I got all the Volunteers games (I'm in Norte Carolina). But, it only ran on one tv/ device. Content was much more limited both in quantity and time shifting (non-existent). I pay more for PSVue, but can run more sessions and more content, plus dvr capabilities.
Not sure if ESPN with PSVue will be as robust as Sling, though. I will never go back to satellite. I get much more and better content than I ever did with Direct TV. (Plus, you never know what you might find on youtuber.

Last edited:
Playstation Vue hands down. Sling is awful compared to Vue

Absolutely!
OP, I already went through what you're going through. PlayStation Vue is the absolute best (at least legally) $40 a month and you get more channels than you get with over $100 cable subscription. Hook up 5 devices / TVs all for the same price.
The only people using cable or satellite don't have good internet, their internet package includes television or they just don't understand how much better is out there.

This! Get a Firestick, or whatever, with Kodi downloaded on it. Can't beat a free 99 subscription to everything including movies in theater.

It doesn't need to be "jailbroke". Buy a firestick. If you have a pc, or know someone with one, install adblink, and sideload whatever app (i.e. Kodi) on it and be done. Or if you have am android phone you can sideload with it using apps2fire. Except for Kodi, last time I tried for a friend, and that required a PC because it (firestick) wouldn't take the .apk of kodi, it wanted the .arm7a file if I remember correctly.

VN Store

Back