Cutting the cord...

Oh I agree, but 20-23 I was getting was struggling if we had more than 1 or 2 people streaming at the same time.

Killed 2 birds with one stone going to fiber... saved about $50/month in the bill and tripled the speed...
A lot depends on where you live too. I've lived in places where the speeds I got were significantly lower than what I paid for, however I've also lived in ones that always were right there or slightly above. Technically speaking, 10 MBPS is fine per person for the vast majority of people (assuming you don't have a 4K TV, but even then it's hard to find programming with this quality). I'd also like to point out that much of this has to do with which router/modem, its positioning in your house, and which devices you have connecting to it. Dual band routers help a lot with the multiple devices issue.

NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300v2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EM5UFP4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JXmqzbWHK82QT

Anyone needing to cut the cord and needs a good router, this is the best specs for the price i could find on amazon. $70 total. This router was $130 a year or two ago, and is up to AC standards (can do gigabit wifi). This will be most of the routers your cable company makes you rent.

DIRECTV NOW has a proportion now for 60 channels for $10/mo if you are ATT wireless customer

It doesn't need to be "jailbroke". Buy a firestick. If you have a pc, or know someone with one, install adblink, and sideload whatever app (i.e. Kodi) on it and be done. Or if you have am android phone you can sideload with it using apps2fire. Except for Kodi, last time I tried for a friend, and that required a PC because it (firestick) wouldn't take the .apk of kodi, it wanted the .arm7a file if I remember correctly.

This is the worst way of going about installing kodi on a firestick/TV. You don't need a PC and if you use Downloader, it takes about 4 minutes to get kodi running.

Reactions: 1 person
Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

Hulu TV is the best out there right now, in my opinion. I tried Vue, and the feed was really bad, and the overall experience poor.

It has the best sports package out there, IMO. It has the entire ESPN package, as well as a great compliment of other channels, and ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX shows on demand the next day usually. Haven't found a show I watch that it doesn't get. Streaming is high quality and doesn't break up. And, you can login to WatchESPN with your Hulu login to watch via their app if you want.

You also get 50 hours of DVR space, which is cool.

$40.00 and it includes basic Hulu service, which I think is $8 by itself.

This is the worst way of going about installing kodi on a firestick/TV. You don't need a PC and if you use Downloader, it takes about 4 minutes to get kodi running.

Long story short, this is the only way of doing it that i could figure out if I didn't have an auto one click pay thing set up with Amazon. Otherwise I couldn't install apps through the amazon app store.

Edit : My main point which I meant to make was it didn't need to be jailbroke. As in don't fall for paying extra.

Last edited:
You don't need to download Kodi through a PC or sideload it to the Firestick. It can be done easily using the Downloader app. Tons of videos on how to do it on Youtube. Don't pay someone $70-100 to get it done, when you can just pay $40 and download Kodi yourself.

I only watch movies and TV shows on Kodi though. Does anyone watch live TV? If so, what build-on do you use and does it buffer a lot?

You don't need to download Kodi through a PC or sideload it to the Firestick. It can be done easily using the Downloader app. Tons of videos on how to do it on Youtube. Don't pay someone $70-100 to get it done, when you can just pay $40 and download Kodi yourself.

I only watch movies and TV shows on Kodi though. Does anyone watch live TV? If so, what build-on do you use and does it buffer a lot?

Is there a way to install apps without having to put cc info for a one click purchase in your Amazon account?

I use to have ustvnow, and it did ok, but can't get it to work anymore. Guy at work said he has sportsdevil and it does pretty well with live sports. Personally not tried it yet.

Long story short, this is the only way of doing it that i could figure out if I didn't have an auto one click pay thing set up with Amazon. Otherwise I couldn't install apps through the amazon app store.

Edit : My main point which I meant to make was it didn't need to be jailbroke. As in don't fall for paying extra.
Agree with bottom part.

Is there a way to install apps without having to put cc info for a one click purchase in your Amazon account?

I use to have ustvnow, and it did ok, but can't get it to work anymore. Guy at work said he has sportsdevil and it does pretty well with live sports. Personally not tried it yet.

Yes

Also USATVNOW is a dying repository/app

Yes

Also USATVNOW is a dying repository/app

Well it kept giving me an error everytime I tried to install a downloader app. Said I needed to set up one click purchases. I refuse. In my stubbornness, I sideloaded. Either way it worked.

I think the repository is already dead, lol.

I got directvnow just to get a free apple tv. then I cancelled, and to be honest didn't subscribe to anything.. during the summer don't watch tv much. but they just sent me another free month to rejoin, so I did that and will cancel after a month. come fall, I'll sign up for PS Vue

Yeah, I know. It's terrible on FireTV and firesticks which is what most people will be using that are looking to cut the cord.

I must be lucky because I have had little trouble with DirectTV Now with my firestick

I got away from direct TV well over around 2 years ago,I've used free sites for TV shows,be sure to have a pop up blocker for them

used a uuh mmmm friends log in for ESPN,so I haven't missed a football game or a Lady
Vols basketball game either

i don't miss paying the monthly bill at all :)

oh and I only have DSL at 3 mgs at best.some times it is a problem,but not usaully

I'm in Chattanooga and have EPB Fiber Optics 1 gig speed. That's $80/month. Have flat HD antennas wall mounted behind TVs for local channels. I use Roku on our 2 TVs, and have Sling. In Football season, I use Orange package for $25/month which includes all the ESPN channels. This year when football ended, I switched to the Blue package with Sling, which gives me the Fox Sports South/ Southeast channels so I get Braves games, but no ESPN. Netflix adds $10/month. I'm also Amazon prime but mostly for the shipping. The video is a bonus for me. Between locals, Sling, Netflix and Amazon, I'm getting everything I want for around $130 a month for Internet and TV. I guess come August I may do Sling both packages so I can catch Football and end of the Braves season. Pretty happy with the setup.

Considering cutting the cable cord. Any advice on services and/or devices? I was considering Sling TV as SEC network is available. Any experiences?

Keep in mind, I HAVE to be able to see Tennessee away games (I'm usually at all the home games).

Sling + HD Antennae like others have suggested. Firestick if you dont have a Smart TV. Reddit.com/cfbstreams is the best platform for finding free game streams.

VN Store

Back