Cutting the cord...

I like the fact of how fast the Roku premier plus is..

Don't think I have ever been a fan of apple products..EVER.

I got a free Apple TV from my job(won it with an award) we have at&t internet and cell service, and direct tv now through at&t, I can watch football on ESPN but do not have CBS or ABC, nor any local channels, we had Comcast xfinity but was paying 160$ / month !

Could I go to the cable box and connect the main coaxial back to get local channels to my tv?

We have a Comcast mainline coming from a pole that’s still there, did Comcast disconnect it from the pole when we cancelled?

You need an antenna for local channels

I got a free Apple TV from my job(won it with an award) we have at&t internet and cell service, and direct tv now through at&t, I can watch football on ESPN but do not have CBS or ABC, nor any local channels, we had Comcast xfinity but was paying 160$ / month !

Could I go to the cable box and connect the main coaxial back to get local channels to my tv?

We have a Comcast mainline coming from a pole that’s still there, did Comcast disconnect it from the pole when we cancelled?
You just need a digital antenna to get your local channels over the air.

I like the fact of how fast the Roku premier plus is..

Don't think I have ever been a fan of apple products..EVER.

Even in Wi-Fi, mine have been as fast or faster than my direct tv boxes... So far so good with roku premier +

Bump...

Recent cord cutter here, I need advice on a good HD antenna, I am about 75 miles south of Nashville, and surrounded by gigantic trees.
And I am considering Sling, or PS Vue, which would be best?
I'll hang up and listen.

Bump...

Recent cord cutter here, I need advice on a good HD antenna, I am about 75 miles south of Nashville, and surrounded by gigantic trees.
I'll hang up and listen.

I haven't had any success w/ a couple "top of the line" HD antennas - we spend our time 50-50 between 2 homes, weekend place is about 70-80 miles from the nearest local channel antennas with lots of trees...not a techno guy so maybe its me.

I tried SLING, PS Vue and HULU. I thought they were all close based on streaming quality w/ our internet. So, for me, it really comes down to what you want and what you want to pay.

I really enjoyed SLING for the simplisity and ease to navagate between 2 channels while watching football. Best price point of the 3, but they don't have local channels, which we wanted for news and other shows.....and SEC game of the week. If I could get an HD antenna to work, we'd have SLING right now.

HULU and PS Vue have the local channel lineup in our area, which satisfied our desire to have the big 3. I liked HULU better than PS Vue, but you can only use at 1 location.

We cut the cord in Dec last year and went w/ PS Vue and are able to use at home and our weekend place. I pay less for internet at 2 places and PS Vue than I did for cable and internet at our primary home. I am happy with what I get; wish it were a bit easier to navigate through, but as said, I'm not a tech guy and haven't vested the time to figure it out if there is a way.

Used DirecTV Now for about a year and they started screwing around with channel packages and I got tired of how clunky it felt. Switched to Hulu and have been happy with it.

PS Vue for me. Allows more simultaneous streams than the others, and I need all of them for my house. Also, I have the lowest speed internet from Comcast and have no issues 99% of the time. I tried Sling first but it seemed to need more bandwidth and would bug out on the same connection. That was 3 years ago though so I am sure it has improved.

Bump...

I'll hang up and listen.

ESPN+ combined with an antenna to pick up your local CBS station would be the cheapest way to watch all the games.

5 dollars a month plus the cost of the antenna.

You might also look into YouTube TV. I like it a lot better than both of those you listed.

The best advice on this thread so far is given by JakezUT, so I'll just share what me and Shirley do. 'Bout five years (I think) back, we got fed up with both ever-increasing monthly fees first from DISH, then DirecTV - and their downright rude customer service reps. And I do mean RUDE. I got us a Channel Master CM-4221 UHF/HDTV Antenna. Plus a Motorola amplifier as we live (in KY) far from a major city or town. Plus a RCA rotor & controller to direct the antenna. For us, station access does change between summer and late fall. Maybe due to switching towers, I don't really know. We get between 33 - 36 channels, most of which we don't bother to watch. Channel reception will vary depending on where you live. I can point the antenna to receive channels from Indiana, Bowling Green, KY, Nashville, and sometimes Chicago. Asides from experimenting with the rotor I have no reason to set these far away channels. We're happy with what we have. Be sure to include a thick lightning ground wire. If an installer tells you it's unneeded, demand they install it anyway.

For streaming, we use a ROKU, though I am an Amazon Prime member, I don't bother using it for movies and such. ROKU has so many free channels, the only paid subscription we bother with is NetFlix Basic. Now, for UT games, I wait to see how many will show on HULU, an app already built into ROKU. If three or more games, I activate HULU Live TV. When the season is done, I quit the app. We save good money by not being locked in subscribers to a cable or satellite service. Plus get a strange benefit, though inconsistent and never preannounced. Newly released cinema movies show up on our Netflix Basic selections from time to time. I have no idea why except there might be a Netflix glitch or lax employee. They only stay up for between 1-3 nights then vanish. Always pop up at night, usually late. Anyway, we're now waiting for the full UT games broadcast schedule and times so we can decide when to activate HULU. OH yeah, we're grandfathered into a 35mbps plan that's no longer available for new subscribers. They've tempted us with their new 100mbps service but we ignore it. They remotely did something to mess with my modem and router to force us to change. Let's just say I messed with them too and didn't change. Don't ask, I ain't telling.

I cut the cord about 4 years ago and here is the most important thing I learned.

Just go for it, it doesn't matter what service you start with at all. Just pick one and get started because there are NO yearly contracts, all the good streaming services are by the month and they all offer a free trial period. So pick one and get started then try out all the others for free and decide which one you like best then switch to that one. The most it cost you extra is the 1 month fee.

I went with EPB's cheapest internet access which is $57 a month and is 300mb up and 300mb down fiber optic. (EPB is in Chattanooga only I think)
I got a Roku box with a USB port on it so I can plug a HDD or a memory stick in it and watch anything I have down loaded.
and I got Playstation Vue with a $40 HD antenna from wallmart.
when I want to get Netflix or Prime I just turn them on and watch till i get tired of them and turn them back off. only pay by the month so thats easy peasy.

I keep Vue on the lowest package most of the time, then when football starts I go up to the next package for 3 months or so and get every single game.
cutting the cord is so flexible and easy.

I went from $160 a month for crappy cable to....

$57 a month for Internet.
$35 a month for Vue. and I can get every thing I want when ever I want.

The only thing I wish was better was being able to switch between channels faster, But I get by that by watching the games on my desktop computer and simply open up different browsers with each channel on them. (Vue has a PC app that lets you watch everything on your computer too)

I highly recommend cutting the cord.

I went with You Tube TV and get all I could want, plenty of sports channels (including SEC) and all the Knoxville network channels, Smithsonian and Discover stuff I enjoy, Combined with free internet from a nice neighbor, a total of $50 bucks a month compared with my old Dish bill is pretty nice.

Youtube TV
Pros
  1. All regional sports channels /local
  2. Does all the fancy DVR stuff
  3. Add more people to it it and drop the bill ( after splitting the bill, I'm paying 17 bucks a month )
Cons
  1. 50 bucks
  2. even if you split the bill, it only works on 3 devices at one time (at least for now ). Would have to plan around that.
After what ever sports season you're interested in is over then you could cancel or start back up, just like any streaming service that is monthly issued.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back