Credit

donsargegolf

Does anyone feel John Chavis fails to get the recognition he deserves at Defensive Co-Ordinator? He has been the saving grace since the '98 season and made average offensive seasons earn better than deserved records, bowls and rankings!!! Great Job Chief :clap: :clap:

Attachments

• post_1_1106365059.jpg
    post_1_1106365059.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
he is good. but our d was lacking last year. and i know we had freshmen starting but that is no excuse. we arent the only ones with freshmen.

I totally agree 100% Don. But I dont think anyone is overlooking what he has done at UT. I know I havent.

In the past few years, while most coaches have been under fire for one thing or another, JC has been the only constant. He just keeps churning out good (if not GREAT) defenses like he has a machine somewhere.

i know. im not overlooking him. he is one hell of a coach. but he could have done a better job this year. with the talent he had. think about no burnett next year. he was our catalyst.

yeah i think the last couple years our defensive secondary has looked rather raggedy. I hope we pick up this year but i wouldnt say that he hasnt got the recognithion he deserves. everyone praises him, but he needs to work on that secondary.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 28, 2005 8:59 PM
yeah i think the last couple years our defensive secondary has looked rather raggedy. I hope we pick up this year but i wouldnt say that he hasnt got the recognithion he deserves. everyone praises him, but he needs to work on that secondary.

:clap:

He does a great job. He stopped using the Mustang (lets play to not lose, defense)this year and it generally paid off. Hope he stays forever. :withstupid:

we respect chavis so well because he is a standup hard working blue collar kinda guy....I think thats why we like him so well.....MOST of us don't like randy because he stands in the shadows, WILL NOT take chances overall isnt that impressive of a coach IMO.....I've never heard one bad thing said about chavis

remember the injuries since the Bama game. dismissed B. Johnson and injuries to Haralson,McBride, Fellows, Mahalona. Does that matter?

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Jan 28, 2005 8:59 PM
i know. im not overlooking him. he is one hell of a coach. but he could have done a better job this year. with the talent he had. think about no burnett next year. he was our catalyst.

Well weren't we banged up some for most of the year on the defensive side of the ball? And didn't we have a few players, Jason Allen, one that I can think of playing postitions that they had to adapt to? He done good this year with the defense he just needs to tighten his secondary up some and we'll have it...our front 4 are awesome...our LB core should be DOMINANT this coming year and our secondary will need some work but will be great...Not arguing JMO

yeah but i think all offensive corrdinators get riped if they dont average 30 points a game. i think we did good this year with two qbs at the helm. i liked how they waited for the defenses to set up then got the audible from randy sanders. i think by the end of the year he had our offense clicking like we should have been. lets see we had 37 on kentucky, 38 on vanderbilt, 28 on a Great Auburn defense, and 38 aginst texas a&m (we could have scored 50 i think). lets not forget that if it wasnt for our secondary just giving up some crazy plays aginst auburn we could have been in the sugar bowl. i would like to say this was our best coaching year ever b th oc, dc, on hc.

with the schedule we play and our expectaitions the Offensive AND Defensive numbers really come down to 3-4 games. Padding stats against Vandy,Cant-ucky, The Cocks, Louisana-Lafayette and Marshall do not count. Sorry.

Attachments

• post_1_1106382164.jpg
    post_1_1106382164.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
so what about aurbun and texas a&m. our twon last games. that most of also been padding stats.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jan 28, 2005 9:11 PM
yeah but i think all offensive corrdinators get riped if they dont average 30 points a game. i think we did good this year with two qbs at the helm. i liked how they waited for the defenses to set up then got the audible from randy sanders. i think by the end of the year he had our offense clicking like we should have been. lets see we had 37 on kentucky, 38 on vanderbilt, 28 on a Great Auburn defense, and 38 aginst texas a&m (we could have scored 50 i think). lets not forget that if it wasnt for our secondary just giving up some crazy plays aginst auburn we could have been in the sugar bowl. i would like to say this was our best coaching year ever b th oc, dc, on hc.

Randy Sanders isn't a good OC....We've got the talent to go down the field and he don't man....What I'm sayin is look at the talent we've got....with Erik Ainge under center...can throw it standing in the pocket or coming off the roll out and the receivers we've got like Hannon, Meachem, Smith, and Fayton why not line up with 4 wideouts every now and then and take some shots at the end zone? And with Riggs coming out of the backfield...Run you some screens and get up the field....I'm a Sophmore in high school and could probably call a better game than Sanders could

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 28, 2005 9:42 PM
I'd hire you too. RS stinks!

Well this may sound a little odd but this is a true story...My Uncle works for Jim Ogle and Jim and Phillip Fulmer are good friends and Phil will come up and stay with Jim on occasion and my uncle will get to talk to Phil some and my uncle came straight out and told him he needed to get rid of Randy Sanders and my Uncle said Phil told him that he couldn't get rid of him because the alumni gets touchy when you want to go to fire somebody...So that kinda of tells you right there that Phil wants rid of him but can't really do a lot till RS's contract is up :moon2:

I think that post is BS and RS just got an extension recently. We are stuck and I hate it :crap: :puke: :yikes: :pukeb: :lame: :punch_bag:

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 28, 2005 10:04 PM
I think that post is BS and RS just got an extension recently. We are stuck and I hate it :crap: :puke: :yikes: :pukeb: :lame: :punch_bag:

I never said you gotta believe me Don but he has talked to Phil Fulmer before....And that's exactly what he said....Course this was way back over the summer...I don't really keep up with what is goin on in Randy Sanders world....But I wish something would go haywire and they'd get rid of him....Like I said I never said you have to believe me but what I said is true

fireing randy sanders at this point and time may not be the wisest thing in the world. that might affect recurits wanting to come here. the only solution i think would be if trooper became the oc and rs stepped down to be qb coach, bu i think that is only wishful thinking.

I have to respectfully say that I think you are all crazy. The offense carried the team at the end of the season when the defense was giving up 33 and 31 points to Vanderbilt and Kentucky, and that was with a 3rd string qb!!! I'll admit I haven't always agreed with the offensive play calling, but there is no doubt in my mind that you all are just using RS as the scapegoat. Keep in mind, last year was the first time since 2001 that we've had a group of decent, at least somewhat experienced skill players.

This year, Sanders did an amazing job preparing the freshmen qb's, the offense was great except for a 4 game stretch in the middle of the year where points were hard to come by. And if that's all you are basing your criticism on, then why not go after chavis for the last part of the season when everybody was putting up 30 on us.

I feel the need to clarify, I'm not saying Chavis did a bad job, I've always thought highly of him, just drawing a comparison between him and Sanders and wondering why Sanders gets all this crap. It's not like Chavis is doing more with less, if anything we have had a lot more talent on the defensive side of the ball in recent years, last year was the first balanced year in a while, and I think it showed.

Sanders does what any decent coach does, tries to do what he can with what he's got. That means, if you don't have a lot of weapons to go down the field with, you play conservative. Anybody think we were conservative against A&M? How about against Michigan way back in 2001? The fact that people complain about coaching after a year in which we performed waaaaaaay better than we were supposed to is beyond me.

Now that that is done, I do dislike the fact that Sanders never seems to own up to his own mistakes. But the man is not a bad coach.

Randy Sanders gets to claim Cutcliffe's NC game, and that was his problem to start with. I think maybe with all these young quarterbacks, RS may be finding his style of coaching. I sure hope for his sake, he can show everyone next year it works, because with the talent he has to work with, he should be able to put up some numbers. If he can just build on what we saw in the Cotton Bowl, he may turn out to be a good OC yet. As far as recruiting goes, keeping RS has turned out to be a good thing, because stability in the coaching staff is key for many of these recruits.
As far as Chavis goes, if we didn't have him, we would have lost more games than we did this year. And as far as the stability thing goes with him, we have Chavis to thank for staying. He has been wooed more than once with better offers, but he was loyal to Tennessee. He may have given up points in games, but if you watched the same games I did this year, when it came time for a stop we direly needed, his D came through more times than not. With the injuries, suspensions, etc this year, I think Chavis did a wonderful job. He may not be the best DC in the country, but in my opinion, he is the best DC for Tennessee.

Yeah, I'm all for keeping Chavis and Sanders both around. Sanders does wonders with training the QB's, even if the playcalling does get crappy. But I think that for the most part, our offense did a terrific job this season. Our defense did make stops, but didn't come through consistently enough. It's fine to pull that kind of stuff against teams like Vandy and Kentucky because we can play catch up easy, but when playing the big guys, we gotta take a lead and hold on to it for dear life. Our defense didn't really do a whole lot of that this year. The best we ever had except for A&M was an offensive duel for the lead, which is an irresponsible way to play.

Im not going to get on here and try to explain the VOLs late season defensive slump in 2004. But let me say this. UT went 5 games (UGA, OLE MISS, BAMA , USC and ND) where the defense played stellar.

Stats:

UGA 14 points, 265 yards offense (most of it in the 4th quarter when UT went into the "Prevent").

Ole Miss 17 points, 257 yards

BAMA 13 points, 218 yards

USC 29 points, 567 yards (21 points and 300 yards were in the 4th quarter against UTs 2nd and 3rd string defense)

ND 10 points, 216 yards.

My point is that during the meat of our 2004 schedule, Our defense won the games for us. No, I dont know what happened during the Vandy, UK games. But lets NOT lose sight of the fact that JC had our defense playing great until those last 2 reg season games.

VN Store

Back