Credit

Why is it a team that was supposed to go 7-5 or 8-4 and finish second or third in their division, yet finished winning the division and going 10-3 with a blowout win in the Cotton Bowl, can have people who call theirselves fans yelling for those coaches to be fired. I know the blame has to go somewhere when we lose, but it is not any one person on that field that can take the blame for a loss. I notice however that most of those yelling for UT to fire this coach or that have no problems bragging about us bringing in possibly the #1 recruiting class in the nation. We are getting more than one of those top ranked recruits because of instability in the coaching staff at other schools. We may not have the best OC or DC in the country right now, but if we did we probably wouldn't be bringing in that top ranked recruiting class because one of those would have been lured away by the big bucks. I think we do probably have the best OC and DC for UT right now because we have loyalty and stability. As for Chavis, I think he does a wonderful job with what he has. I will reserve final judgement on RS for after this year, but I think he did pretty good this year while calling the plays at the line because of youth at qb. As far as arm tackling goes, I agree. But I have always contributed some of that to what TN gives up for speed.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 30, 2005 10:09 PM
2003- UT 10 Canes 6; 2002 -UT18 SC 10 ; 2001- UT 13 ARK 3, UT 26 LSU 18, UT17 SC 10, 2000- UT 19 SO MISS 16, UT20 ALA 10, UT 17 SC14, UT19 MEMPHIS 17; 1999- UT 17 MEMPHIS 16, UT 24 AUB 0, UT 21 ALA 7,. That is 12 games back to CRS first season and I will not retract. Thank You very much.

So any win in which the vols don't score more than 24 points is the defense saving the offense? Football is a TEAM game, that means sometimes the defense carries the offense, and sometimes the offense carries the defense. Somehow I don't think a 24-0 score qualifies as the defense SAVING the offense. A strong defensive performance, absolutely, but the offense didn't need saving there.

You want proof that it goes both ways?

2004: Tennessee 37 Kentucky 31; Tennessee 38 Vanderbilt 33; Tennessee 30 Florida 28; 2003: UT 51 Alabama 43, UT 34 Marshall 24; 2002 UT 41, Arkansas 38
2001: UT 35 Alabama 24; UT 49 Memphis 28; UT 38 Kentucky 35; UT 34, UF 32 2000: UT 28 Vanderbilt 26

I tried to be fair too, and not put in games where most of the points were scored in garbage time, or I could have had a couple more games on here.I know that some of these games are OT games, but I still think it's valid to say the offense is the primary reason we won those games.

This is NOT an indictment of the defensive performance over the past 5 years, just pointing out that from game to game, there will be times that the defense carries the offense, and there will be times that the offense carries the defense. That is the definition of a TEAM.

Sorry to pick on you Sarge, but I just don't agree with what you are saying.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 30, 2005 10:58 PM
i personally do not hate him, frankly played ALOT of golf with him, and have told him as a "friend" what I have stated here. Thanks for your incorrect data. :bad: Hope things are well on the Left Coast.

So I shouldn't trust the data off of the UTsports website?

Way to fly in the face of logic there...

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 30, 2005 10:09 PM
2003- UT 10 Canes 6; 2002 -UT18 SC 10 ; 2001- UT 13 ARK 3, UT 26 LSU 18, UT17 SC 10, 2000- UT 19 SO MISS 16, UT20 ALA 10, UT 17 SC14, UT19 MEMPHIS 17; 1999- UT 17 MEMPHIS 16, UT 24 AUB 0, UT 21 ALA 7,. That is 12 games back to CRS first season and I will not retract. Thank You very much.

UT 10 Canes 6
That's a given. One of the best performances by our D ever.

UT 18 SC 10
The offense put up 416 total yards and held the ball 38 minutes. Those are pretty good numbers. The D however, did give up (another) 4th qtr TD, which closed the game to 12-10. Wouldn't call this one "bailing out Sanders ass".

UT 13 Ark 3
The O scored 13 points in the 4th qtr, the D stifled the Hogs all day. Looks like a total team effort to me. This was the second game of the season, and if memory serves me correctly we had all new starters on O, except Clausen. Looks like one of those "defensive struggles". Guess you could call it "bailing out Sanders ass" if you're looking for something to criticize. I'm not, so I won't.

UT 26 LSU 18
You're kidding, right? Same team that we lost the SECCG to? We had a 19-7 lead after 3, gave up 11 in the 4th. If Sanders's O doesn't put up a TD in the 4th, we barely win 19-18. Wouldn't call this one "bailing out Sanders ass".

UT 17 SC 10
This was #14 (SC) against #9 (UT), and we were ahead 10-7 after 3 qtrs. Wouldn't call this one "bailing out Sanders ass".

The entire 2000 season was supposed to be lost due to the loss of many players to graduation. Did the defense play well in most games? Yes. Did the offense overachieve what was expected from them? Yes.

I could go on, but the resources for game reviews on the net are scarce pre-2001. I've already debunked 3 games, putting you at 9, with another 5 that are questionable. And I forgot to add the 99 Arkansas game where we gave up points late, costing us a shot at another BCS title. I think I've made my point that if you're using the same criteria to grade Sanders on whether he should stay or go, but then blindly supporting Chavis 100% and refusing to use the same criteria to grade him, you're suffering from Volsheimers.

Hey JCV, keep on loving your fellow East Tennessee buddy who couldn't play, barely can coach and damn sure can't co-ordinate. Looks like you will accept anybody who can read a clipboard and spit dip at the same time. CRS.., :finger: And to SoCalVol, pull for a team in your own time zone.

What donsarge doesn't like randy, huh. When did this happen????

:beer:

Jan 4, 1999. First drive Fiesta Bowl. Trembling hands, nervous face, signs of a man WAY in over his head. Nothing has changed since. :bad: :flush:

Except perhaps an offense that comes out and exceeds expectations, saving the Vols from possible humiliation at the hands of South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

At least when we had Cutcliffe(sp.?)he was calm under pressure.....RS needs to do something with his play calling though...Line up and take more shots down the field...With the QB's and receivers we've got...We'd make the play 9 times out of 10

anyone remember the throw RS made against Miss. St in 4th quarter in Knoxville, 1986? Terrence Cleveland WIDE OPEN in back of the endzone, thru the uprights. Since then it's all been down hill.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 31, 2005 10:39 PM
anyone remember the throw RS made against Miss. St in 4th quarter in Knoxville, 1986? Terrence Cleveland WIDE OPEN in back of the endzone, thru the uprights. Since then it's all been down hill.

So your hatred goes WAAAY back.

:lol: :lol:

read me his COACHING resume' and explain his qualifications for the position he presently holds, PLEASE. Our program is a multi-multi million dollar business mind you .I will be waiting.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 31, 2005 10:30 PM
Hey JCV, keep on loving your fellow East Tennessee buddy who couldn't play, barely can coach and damn sure can't co-ordinate. Looks like you will accept anybody who can read a clipboard and spit dip at the same time. CRS.., :finger: And to SoCalVol, pull for a team in your own time zone.

Way to go away from discussion in favor of petty insults. Find a team in my own time zone? I suppose if it were up to you, UT wouldn't have Burnett, Simon, either Clausen (and hopefully Jimmy) or Ainge ... or did you not realize that all of them come from the left coast that you use to dismiss the arguments I present.

:lolup:

woho makeing fun of kevin simon.................................

not funny. :gun:

I for one, wouldn't want to give up that "left coast" pipeline.

any word on CRS resume' and his qualifications? That search will take a lo-o-ong while. I will be waiting though. :snoring: nighty night

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Jan 31, 2005 7:50 PM
read me his COACHING resume' and explain his qualifications for the position he presently holds, PLEASE. Our program is a multi-multi million dollar business mind you .I will be waiting.

Perhaps waiting ten more minutes would be considerable, although I will forgive you on account of difference in time.

If it weren't for our offense this season, we could have lost to South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Where was our savior Chavis then? Our defense won us exactly ONE game this season, saving our offense. Saving us from our defense, our offense won us at least four games, and lost us only one. Then again, if our defense was any good, we very well could have beaten Auburn in the SECCG.

And don't try to use injuries/inexperience etc. as an excuse, because our depth chart was equally problematic on both sides of the ball.

VN Store

Back