Courtney Banghart - Princeton

If you can build a tough squad without ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS? Finish that thought for me.

I'll finish it. That tough squad is playing on a level field in-conference. Most of the Ivies have very generous need-based financial aid programs. Here's what Princeton gives for aid. How Princeton's Aid Program Works Virtually every student with financial need gets a good package.

Banghart.jpg

I'll finish it. That tough squad is playing on a level field in-conference. Most of the Ivies have very generous need-based financial aid programs. Here's what Princeton gives for aid. How Princeton's Aid Program Works Virtually every student with financial need gets a good package.
But she’s competitive outside the conference. Recruiting players with a “good package” but not a full ride. My stepdaughter was a pretty accomplished pitcher for her softball team. Her dream college was a private school (Austin College) near Sherman, TX. They don’t give scholarships, but they knocked $25 k off her tuition every year...still $25 k. She graduates in May from TWU...didn’t play softball. There’s the lure of an Ivy League education, but coaches like Banghart excel with a hefty handicap.

Courtney Banghart would be a strong hire by Phil Fulmer much stronger than Kellie Jolly Harper or Kara Lawson.
Banghart has Coached her team for twelve years and taken her team to the NCAA Tournament 8 times and made it to the second round once.
Harper has been a head Coach for 15 years, and taken a total of 5 teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, a feat only 11 Coaches have ever done, and her team this year defeated ranked teams with highly rated recruits, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited:
Reactions: teacherdean
Banghart has Coached her team for twelve years and taken her team to the NCAA Tournament 8 times and made it to the second round once.
Harper has been a head Coach for 15 years, and taken a total of 5 teams from 3 different schools to the NCAA Tournament, a feat only 11 Coaches have ever done, and her team this year defeated ranked teams with highly rated recruits, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen.

So what you just said is Banghart gets her team to the NCAA tournament 66% of the time and got past the 1st round once. KJH gets her teams to the tournament 33% of the time and got past the 1st round once. It's not clear to me which coach you are arguing for....

So what you just said is Banghart gets her team to the NCAA tournament 66% of the time and got past the 1st round once. KJH gets her teams to the tournament 33% of the time and got past the 1st round once. It's not clear to me which coach you are arguing for....
It’s much harder to take teams from 3 different schools to the tournament than from a school you’ve Coached for years with your own recruits. Even with that disadvantage, Harper has taken this year’s team, a team that had one senior and was mostly freshmen and sophomores, to the Sweet Sixteen against nationally ranked competition, that is past the 2nd round. They played very competitively against Stanford, ranked number 4 in the country, in the Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited:
In 3 of 4 years at Western Carolina, Harper’s teams were ranked in the WBCA Academic Top 25. Harper herself was a three year SEC Academic Honoree.
I don’t remember saying KJH wouldn’t meet that standard. I haven’t railed against her as a candidate either...tho she’s further down on my list. Someone who can coach with results in the Ivy League impresses me. Don’t know if Fulmer feels the same way. I’d guess KJH has a better inroad with him.

I think what he's saying is that Princeton is the best of the Ivies. That alone is what has gotten them to the NCAA 8 times.

Not downplaying her coaching abilities. Wes Moore ruled the SoCon for years at Chattanooga. But you're still looking at a small pond situation.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back