Countdown to first pitch

I hope I still have this SI, but I do have fond memories. I was there (NO BS!).
It was my first day on the Braves beat for an Alabama paper. My boss was there to do the heavy lifting, while I wrote sidebar after interview w/ Tom House -- the Brave lefty who caught the shot in the bullpen. I remained in Atlanta for rest of the series and the following one.. Great regret was that I failed to savor or take advantage of my period covering Braves, I was in my early 20s. Enough said

Wow, quite a first day on the job, awesome!!! The pitcher who gave up #715 (Al Downing) was the uncle of a close childhood friend of mine.

What a treasure. Did your Dad live in Atlanta at time?
all the writers who were in attendance received Aaron by Furman Bisher and a certificate that they were g there that night. /Braves were unable to seat all members of media in the press box until the day after. It was a crushing week personally. Tried to reconnect w/ flame who was undergrad at Emory, We met for drinks at hotel lounge but she brought boyfriend w\her.
She married him the next year. He was a med student

Ouch, we've all been there. Nothing worse than a girl you have your eye on showing up unexpectedly with the boyfriend in tow.

I hope I still have this SI, but I do have fond memories. I was there (NO BS!).
It was my first day on the Braves beat for an Alabama paper. My boss was there to do the heavy lifting, while I wrote sidebar after interview w/ Tom House -- the Brave lefty who caught the shot in the bullpen. I remained in Atlanta for rest of the series and the following one.. Great regret was that I failed to savor or take advantage of my period covering Braves, I was in my early 20s. Enough said
Incredible!

I watched Robinson play on black and white TV when I was a boy. He is quite rightly famous for having the guts and brains to break the color barrier then, but I remember him as a fantastic ballplayer. Great baserunner and clutch hitter, and terrific defender. He was clutch, and he was one of my favorites, as he was a Dodger and that was my favorite team then.

I watched Robinson play on black and white TV when I was a boy. He is quite rightly famous for having the guts and brains to break the color barrier then, but I remember him as a fantastic ballplayer. Great baserunner and clutch hitter, and terrific defender. He was clutch, and he was one of my favorites, as he was a Dodger and that was my favorite team then.
My father was all Vol football (and boxing) fan, and I knew little about baseball until 1958, when a neighbor convinced me to buy his baseball cards. What a treasure. There was Musial, Pee Wee, Doby, Robinson and a rookie infielder named Aaron. I was soon watching Peewee and Dizzy in black and white and playing Little League baseball and buying sports' magazines that provided a decent introduction to the game.

But I never "talked baseball" with an adult until going to a Senators game in 1960 with a great aunt who was an avid fan and civil rights advocate who told me ofJackie's place in history. I later learned that both of my grandfathers were serious fans of the game. I would have loved to learn what they thought of the game before and after Branch Rickey's decision..

My father was all Vol football (and boxing) fan, and I knew little about baseball until 1958, when a neighbor convinced me to buy his baseball cards. What a treasure. There was Musial, Pee Wee, Doby, Robinson and a rookie infielder named Aaron. I was soon watching Peewee and Dizzy in black and white and playing Little League baseball and buying sports' magazines that provided a decent introduction to the game.

But I never "talked baseball" with an adult until going to a Senators game in 1960 with a great aunt who was an avid fan and civil rights advocate who told me ofJackie's place in history. I later learned that both of my grandfathers were serious fans of the game. I would have loved to learn what they thought of the game before and after Branch Rickey's decision..

Cool memories. Dizzy and Peewee on the Saturday Game of the Week. I think it was Falstaff the beer sponsor. I would watch every Saturday with my Dad, who taught me about the game. I did the little league thing, too, and bought all the baseball cards I could buy. I had most of those guys, too, and a few more stars, snd a whole bunch of no names. I recall it was hard to get a star. A lot of bubble gum and cavities to earn a big star;'s card. Can't remember If I had Robinson's. If your Aunt was a Senator fan then she had to have been a die hard baseball fan. No one else would have them!

Very, very cool. We'll take all of these memories you care to share.

My older brother was (and still is) a huge White Sox fan, he was 14 when they lost to the Dodgers in the 59 series.... years later when he came home from his Viet Nam tour of duty he opened up his baseball card collection and showed it to me. All of the Dodger cards were ripped in half.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Cool memories. Dizzy and Peewee on the Saturday Game of the Week. I think it was Falstaff the beer sponsor. I would watch every Saturday with my Dad, who taught me about the game. I did the little league thing, too, and bought all the baseball cards I could buy. I had most of those guys, too, and a few more stars, snd a whole bunch of no names. I recall it was hard to get a star. A lot of bubble gum and cavities to earn a big star;'s card. Can't remember If I had Robinson's. If your Aunt was a Senator fan then she had to have been a die hard baseball fan. No one else would have them!

Definitely a diehard. She took a job in DC in the early 30s and my Mother remembered that she and my grandfather were both fans of the Atlanta Crackers. Clearest memories were a twinbill with the Yankees in which Mel Stottlemyre tossed a 2-hitter and a return of Killebrew and Allison to DC as the Twins visited, not to mention the Oriole and Senator games on TV every night.

Oh yeah. Got to see Don Zimmer

Definitely a diehard. She took a job in DC in the early 30s and my Mother remembered that she and my grandfather were both fans of the Atlanta Crackers. Clearest memories were a twinbill with the Yankees in which Mel Stottlemyre tossed a 2-hitter and a return of Killebrew and Allison to DC as the Twins visited, not to mention the Oriole and Senator games on TV every night.

Oh yeah. Got to see Don Zimmer

Cool beans. The old southern league. My Dad took me to see Memphis Chicks games in the 50's and the Crackers would play there sometimes. I was a young boy. I thought then that they must have been named after firecrackers. What did I know? I remember being awed every time I went to the big ballpark. Stottlemyre, Killebrew, Allison. Bygone times. Feels good to hear those names again. Didn't Zimmer become a manager of some note?

Cool beans. The old southern league. My Dad took me to see Memphis Chicks games in the 50's and the Crackers would play there sometimes. I was a young boy. I thought then that they must have been named after firecrackers. What did I know? I remember being awed every time I went to the big ballpark. Stottlemyre, Killebrew, Allison. Bygone times. Feels good to hear those names again. Didn't Zimmer become a manager of some note?
my minors days were solely spent in bill myer stadium with the tiger and red farmhands. lot of great names on those teams-

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

Easy case for Jackie as a top 5 second basemen ever since the dead ball era

40 days!

_T1_1815.JPG

Thanks for this mention. He went to Anna-Jonesboro HS here in southern Illinois, not too far from where I live and teach. I got to see Josh play basketball in our Eldorado Holiday Tournament and a few times in baseball. I'm always glad to see someone from So Ill choose to continue their athletic career at Tennessee.
I played juco ball with a guy from Anna Jonesboro , small world

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers

VN Store

Back