Could Tim Banks Return to Penn State?

I don't know. I think Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford (all private institutions with a strongly academic focus, but residing in a Power 5 conference) are every bit as much a stepping stone to "real Power 5 jobs" as any Group of 5 school.

Whether a guy is interviewing from Duke or from UCF, I don't think anyone much cares. They just look at what the coach was able to accomplish, how well he performed on all the different metrics required of a head coach. And if he did well, then he has the chance to interview for the really top jobs.

Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin have all used those schools as springboards to bigger head coaching jobs. Spurrier in particular did it from Duke.

So there's no backwater curse. Duke and the other schools like it don't often get a great young coach...but when they occasionally do, there's no curse to starting there. Proven.
I agree for the most part but it's a lot easier to recruit "afleets" to a UCF than to a Stanford. That makes winning less of a challenge.

I don't know. I think Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford (all private institutions with a strongly academic focus, but residing in a Power 5 conference) are every bit as much a stepping stone to "real Power 5 jobs" as any Group of 5 school.

Whether a guy is interviewing from Duke or from UCF, I don't think anyone much cares. They just look at what the coach was able to accomplish, how well he performed on all the different metrics required of a head coach. And if he did well, then he has the chance to interview for the really top jobs.

Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin have all used those schools as springboards to bigger head coaching jobs. Spurrier in particular did it from Duke.

So there's no backwater curse. Duke and the other schools like it don't often get a great young coach...but when they occasionally do, there's no curse to starting there. Proven.

Don't argue with your appraisal of this type of situation. I will only point out the highlighted part of your statement, which here again I do not argue with. What are the odds of this and who is to say Banks or any "young guy" can go into this situation (Duke being primarily a basketball school) where THE sport is experiencing a coaching change the will get the lions share of the attention and be effective? I guess what I am saying is this guy (be it Banks or another) will be on an island to themselves with very limited support.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Under the radar? I believe Banks was brought in for his recruiting abilities. We were 80th in scoring defense. 85th in total defense and 104th in 3rd down efficiency. I agree fast paced offenses may put a defense on the field more but do they put them on the field as much as an inept offense? Those that go 3 and out? Maybe once he gets some better players in our defense will improve. We will need this to compete for championships. If we can match up to our offense (or close) we will be dangerous. GBO!!

Seems like stretch to me. Doubt he leaves unless it's for a HC job

Under the radar? I believe Banks was brought in for his recruiting abilities. We were 80th in scoring defense. 85th in total defense and 104th in 3rd down efficiency. I agree fast paced offenses may put a defense on the field more but do they put them on the field as much as an inept offense? Those that go 3 and out? Maybe once he gets some better players in our defense will improve. We will need this to compete for championships. If we can match up to our offense (or close) we will be dangerous. GBO!!
This... plus the defense has to sometimes get an actual stop on 3rd down to get themselves rest. Being last in the SEC against the pass and one of the worst for giving up 3rd downs doesn't get yourself rest.

It has been well-reported that Coach Banks is a potential candidate for the Duke head coaching vacancy, but another interesting option that is flying under the radar may also be developing in Happy Valley. If Banks isn’t the choice for Duke, could James Franklin attempt to re-hire him at PSU now that Brent Pry is the lead man in Blacksburg? I’ve seen several PSU hot boards listing him as a candidate, and Tony Basilio also mentioned that UT’s staff was a bit “concerned” about it on his show today.
Why they suck!

VN Store

Back