Could Tim Banks Return to Penn State?

A Typical Vol Fan

It has been well-reported that Coach Banks is a potential candidate for the Duke head coaching vacancy, but another interesting option that is flying under the radar may also be developing in Happy Valley. If Banks isn’t the choice for Duke, could James Franklin attempt to re-hire him at PSU now that Brent Pry is the lead man in Blacksburg? I’ve seen several PSU hot boards listing him as a candidate, and Tony Basilio also mentioned that UT’s staff was a bit “concerned” about it on his show today.

Why would Coach Banks go back to Penn State to be DC, when he left his job as Co-DC at Penn State to come to Tennessee?

I don't get the draw. Unless you believe Franklin is just going to throw more money at him than Heupel and Dan White can gather up?

Honestly don't get the thought process behind this concern. To Duke to be a head coach, sure, makes sense. But not this.

It might be “easier” for him there…..however State doesn’t seem to be on an upward trajectory right now.

I’m hoping he stays, I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: feathersax
Please stop with the Banks threads daily. I will say if he's gonna leave, just leave. It's becoming a detraction. If he's staying, then stay.

Reactions: TNbuc2
I think Banks would be wise to be patient another year or two when he could very well be in line for a nice P5 HC job.

With that said I would understand why Banks may feel he us at a disadvantage coaching Defense at UT when the offense scores so quickly. The games are longer. His defense has to defend more possessions. And they are constantly on the field.

In my opinion he did a great job constantly the circumstances.

Why would Coach Banks go back to Penn State to be DC, when he left his job as Co-DC at Penn State to come to Tennessee?

I don't get the draw. Unless you believe Franklin is just going to throw more money at him than Heupel and Dan White can gather up?

Honestly don't get the thought process behind this concern. To Duke to be a head coach, sure, makes sense. But not this.

No, this doesn't. He nor anyone else is going to make the "splash" with Duke football that they would need to move up to the top tier teams. Being head coach at Duke is much like being US Vise Pres., looks good on resume, good way to "crown" a career. But other wise will likely never be heard of again.

No, this doesn't. He nor anyone else is going to make the "splash" with Duke football that they would need to move up to the top tier teams. Being head coach at Duke is much like being US Vise Pres., looks good on resume, good way to "crown" a career. But other wise will likely never be heard of again.
I don't know. I think Duke, Vandy, Northwestern, and Stanford (all private institutions with a strongly academic focus, but residing in a Power 5 conference) are every bit as much a stepping stone to "real Power 5 jobs" as any Group of 5 school.

Whether a guy is interviewing from Duke or from UCF, I don't think anyone much cares. They just look at what the coach was able to accomplish, how well he performed on all the different metrics required of a head coach. And if he did well, then he has the chance to interview for the really top jobs.

Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin have all used those schools as springboards to bigger head coaching jobs. Spurrier in particular did it from Duke.

So there's no backwater curse. Duke and the other schools like it don't often get a great young coach...but when they occasionally do, there's no curse to starting there. Proven.

Last edited:
Reactions: stillavol
It has been well-reported that Coach Banks is a potential candidate for the Duke head coaching vacancy, but another interesting option that is flying under the radar may also be developing in Happy Valley. If Banks isn’t the choice for Duke, could James Franklin attempt to re-hire him at PSU now that Brent Pry is the lead man in Blacksburg? I’ve seen several PSU hot boards listing him as a candidate, and Tony Basilio also mentioned that UT’s staff was a bit “concerned” about it on his show today.

If your just here to troll at least pick something that has some credibility to it. Just making up $hit is not a good look.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

VN Store

Back