Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

I reject the idea that a more experienced OL equals an improved OL. Undersized and undercoached remnants of the Butch Jones Era combined with freshman who have no business starting in SEC games isn't going to amount to much. Plus new offensive coach and system. Probably gonna be another long year. 6 to 7 wins.
Im not suggesting that experienced will automaticallt equal improved. Im saying you should EXPECT returning players to improve. Theyve played a lot together so there should be some continuity too. As much as I hate to bash the guy, Richmond being gone is actually a good thing.
But you are being hypocritical by suggesting a new system will equal struggle, arent you? Everyone bashed Helton, so why wouldnt people think Chaney would make an instant improvement?
Also, 7 wins is not "another long season". Thats 2 wins closer to an East title.

I like JG and appreciate him giving his all every game, however I don't know if it's just me but
it seems like everything he does is slow, he's not great at reading defenses but he can get there and I don't think he's in tune with his internal clock. I'm definitely rooting for him and i think Chaney could do wonders for him, he definitely has the attitude and toughness to succeed with some coaching up he could be really good

If the oline improves then yes he can and will, plus do not underestimate what the op said about thinking the Defense should improve. If the defense improves and causes more 3 & outs this will cause opponents defense to tire out which will weaken there pass rush and allow JG more time in the pocket to survey. So both oline and must help him.

Difficult to say. This will be JGs third OC and second QB coach since becoming the starter. Thats a very difficult situation. Factor in the horrid OL and it makes for a sketchy possibility.

Reactions: lexkyvol
the answer is no. JG will not take TN any further than he already has. he doesn't have the skills.

Chaney and Tee will hopefully get Harrison Bailey and TN can begin a new chapter.

He would surprise the he!! out of me if he rush for 50-70 yards in a game. But I guarantee if he did that we’d win. He has good speed and he’s definitely tough for a guy standing like a statue in the pocket taking hit after hit. Since teams are only rushing 3-4 guys mostly against our porous O line it would require the secondary and LBs to cheat up and open up the passing game. He has a good arm and imo has good enough receivers to move the football. I start to sound like a broken record talking about JG. If he attempted to get those yards when his O line goes AWOL it would prevent lots of drives from stalling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?

If he improves it will be a big suprise. To me JG has the arm strength but does not think fast enough. He is slow on his feet. I believe we have seen the best of JG already. With that said I hope he does improve and plays very well for us.

JG is good. I don't get everyone's issue with him. Kid clearly has the physical talent, makes great, accurate throws. We needed a better OL and an offense that puts him in a position to succeed, he wasn't given that this past year. I think Chaney will do this.
Kid needs to let it fly within 3 seconds.

I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?
Unless someone can teach him how to read a defense, and not hold onto the ball, or stare down recievers than no... he starts next year, we 6 and 6.

What always got me about JG was he never pulled the ball down & ran when the passing play wasn't there to pass. He came in as a highly ranked duel-threat QB & I haven't seen any of that running yet. He holds the ball in the pocket way too long & therefor gets sacked & loses 8 yards bringing up 3rd & long.....then we punt. Fun Fun.
JG has shown me he's a tough kid standing in the pocket & gets clobbered really good but nothing has changed as far as his improvement to scramble when it's necessary & not to have negative yardage each game.

Last edited:
I actually do think he will surprise us “vols fans”. Just due to the fact unfortunately so many vol fans wrote him off.

I think we saw growth from him. I know all people seem to say is he gets hit too well often and holds the ball too long. Which is fair but he made several throws and plays that guys in NFL can’t make.

He protected the ball and took appropriate risks with deep balls at the right times. I think with another year of development and the addition of Chaney and the oline will improve. I personally believe he will take a significant step.

No one questions his toughness or competitiveness which bleeds out to the team. His teammates love him and respect him I think you’ll see his leadership take a step as well.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I reject the idea that a more experienced OL equals an improved OL. Undersized and undercoached remnants of the Butch Jones Era combined with freshman who have no business starting in SEC games isn't going to amount to much. Plus new offensive coach and system. Probably gonna be another long year. 6 to 7 wins.
I think another year to get bigger and stronger is the key. I just hope they remember what it felt like to get pushed around and run over every day they step in the weight room and training facility.

He had one of the highest completion percentages with literally one of the worst o lines in college football history. That is not to mention 1/4 of his incompletions were dropped passes (highest rate by recievers in SEC).

I guarantee if we give this guy a solid line and solid weapons then he will be great, probably even elite.

Let's not forget that defenses did not respect our run game at all either. JG had every factor working against him and he was still in the middle of the pack in the SEC. Let that sink in for a moment.

I don't get the notion that JG sucks or can't improve.

The guy has a great completion percentage behind not only the worst lines in the SEC but the WHOLE COUNTRY. I'm not sure if the JG naysayers remember but the powerhouse Charlotte had their way with our OL. The only games that they protected JG, well...guess what? JG had his best games.

But sure, let's throw in Shrout or Maurer because that'll give us a better chance. Obviously, blue font.

It's hard to say how good he might be with some blocking. I don't like or dislike him but when a quarterback feels like the levee is going to break every time he drops back to pass, it makes it pretty tough to think about all the things he should be thinking about. I don't know if he can be a great quarterback or not but with our O-line, he hasn't had much of a chance to develop. Maybe this year we'll see a much improved line and find out.

Kid needs to let it fly within 3 seconds.

Normally he has a defender in his face at 2 seconds. Even still, our WRs were one of the worst in the SEC in drops and they dont get open like other WRs. But JG does need help on his awareness. Also, he needs to learn to lead the WR a little better. Hopefully he can improve on these things.

VN Store

Back