Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

Other_Guy

foolishFool
I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?

I know we keep saying this, but the natural expectation is for the veteran returning OL to be improved. Then theres the addition of Morris, potentially Wright as well. The RBs should be improved.
Then you add Jim Chaney and Tee Martin. Now we've heard Jennings is coming back.
I think the defense takes a step in the new system as well and improves a little.
This really is beginning to sound like a recipe for a very successful season for JG, even surprising some of us at VN. Does anyone else see a potential big jump for JG, or is what we've seen all there is?

This is earlier than usual for our preseason championship. :)

He will take a big step if we get some blocking.

I reject the idea that a more experienced OL equals an improved OL. Undersized and undercoached remnants of the Butch Jones Era combined with freshman who have no business starting in SEC games isn't going to amount to much. Plus new offensive coach and system. Probably gonna be another long year. 6 to 7 wins.

Got to win the competition first but if he doesn't that would surprise me unless a grad beats him out. My expectations are 6 wins and a bowl for this season.

Reactions: RollerVol
Im Jake Frohm freshman year, UGA had some WRs that they could just throw back shoulder fades too and they would win a lot of those.

In my opinion Chaney will have to script almost every game. We don't have the pieces to just run "our" offense.

But we have some ability. And if our defense can continue to create turnovers we can be in some of these games.

Chaney needs to ORDER JG, to let the ball fly in certain situations. Regardless if it's open or not. He has a very good turnover ratio...but his gun shyness is crippling to the offense. It contributes a great deal to the OLines trouble.

I don't believe in JG.
If he proves me wrong then great! I just want Tennessee to win. That's why I'm hard on him....because he doesn't win.

We'll see, but I %100 think a freshman will be leading us to a bowl game at the end of next season.

But anything is possible. I still remember Cromptons turnaround. After that horrible UCLA game...

JG is good. I don't get everyone's issue with him. Kid clearly has the physical talent, makes great, accurate throws. We needed a better OL and an offense that puts him in a position to succeed, he wasn't given that this past year. I think Chaney will do this.

I applaud him for not throwing interceptions and killing drives. However, he has to make quicker decisions & release the ball quicker
He also needs to live in the film room and be able to recognize defensive formations immediately and react accordingly
It is possible to improve. Compton improved & Peterman improved at Pitt

IMO the coaches did him no favors with the play calling last year. There should have been more plays designed to get the ball out quick(wr screens, quick slants, etc) as well as keeping a TE or back chipping the pass rushers to win the numbers game at the LOS. Maybe CJC will put him in more opportunities to be successful. Just my 2 cents and GBO

I opened this thread hoping to hear JG has been working with Penn & Teller...

NO.

He has a very good turnover ratio...but his gun shyness is crippling to the offense. It contributes a great deal to the OLines trouble.

We'll see, but I %100 think a freshman will be leading us to a bowl game at the end of next season.
The turnover ration is "good" because he is gun shy. His sacks are terrible.

VN Store

Back