Could Guarantano surprise us? (Merged)

Yes he needs more attempts.

He was good despite the limitations placed on him by having a terrible first year play caller and a HC who wanted to run the ball because the line couldn't pass block.

With more attempts he is among the league leaders in all stats with the best int rate in the SEC.

Everyone but the most ignorant and agenda driven posters recognize this.

QB rating, completion percentage, ypa, and int ratio show he did well last year. We just need to open it up more this year.

He's now 6-10 as a starter with four of those wins coming against ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte, and Southern Miss. The O has been anemic behind him averaging right around 20 ppg (just a tad better than what got Fulmer fired).

But you just keep believing that 5 yard completions on 3 and 10 equal greatness.

I still hope he comes around... but only someone completely deluded believes he already has.

Your first sentence shows the utter stupidity of your argument.

Reactions: k-town_king
Even if our line improves drastically, its not going to help JG much unless he improves drastically.

The line sucked, but if JG was "All That", he'd done better. Just would have, man. How can you not agree with that?

The o-line is NOT the only drastic improvement needed for JG to be what we really need him to be.

Now, I think with the changes in staff things look to be favorable for JG, and us. But it I sure don't see it as a guarantano.

Some of you need to lay off JG. IMO. Both sides. Lulz.

Just my 2 cents.
hyp

200 more attempts = 120 more completions
120 completions × 8 yards = 960 more passing yards.
246 attempts- 12 TDs, with 446 attempts he'd have 20 + TDs

Add those attempts and numbers to last season and Vols win 8-10 games. Our offense stunk it up last year and our defense faced a number of veteran QBs, all disastrous for our results and one of the reasons he only had 246 pass attempts. It'll be a different scenario this year where we'll be the veteran team, his attempts will go up as will yards and TDs. I believe it'll translate into wins and JG will go into his SR seasons as one of the top 10 QBs in the country, we shall see.
Which makes him just a tad better than VANDY.

But NOT the leader and most important player on the O... right? Just everyone else. He has no flaws that you are willing to admit, right? This is true in spite of two different OC's protecting him with low risk play calls.

And you really think that Pruitt wouldn't have turned him loose to produce more O if he could have? Really? Pruitt seems like a guy pretty willing to adjust in order to win.

The offense was ineffective. I think the RB's are OK but they're not dominant. The OL was not good... and the QB was not "scary" to opposing DC's.

JG is one of the few UT QB's in my lifetime to have a losing record over two seasons as the starter. The offense behind him has been anemic and easy do defend. If these "great" stats meant what you think they mean then UT would have been credible on O. They weren't. And he was part of the problem.

He has that physical ability if he can learn to read D's and make good decisions. He wasn't "top half" of the SEC last fall... and not really very close. He was spoon fed easy throws and was not respected by opposing DC's. A guy who struggles with reads and decisions is easy meat for a good DC. UT has averaged 18 ppg in JG's SEC starts. Different players around him. Different coaches. Different OL's... and the O simply does not score points behind him.

The good news is that Chaney will either fix him... or move on. Chaney has a history of fixing guys like JG AND of starting Fr.

The OL should improve. JG still needs to improve because A LOT of the problems with pass protection and the ineffective pass game are on him.
What everyone seems to ignore is that with an effective passing game......quick slant, mid-range passing game that burns the LB's......our running game would have improved drastically. It was OBVIOUS when he was going to pass, it was OBVIOUS when he was going to hand the ball off. It all starts with the QB being able to halfway read what the D is telling him and moving the blocking scheme to match that. Just lining up and running the play won't cut it. That is pretty much exactly what we did with JG at QB.

Reactions: sjt18
This isn’t a debate that will save lives, cure cancer, make me smart or change whatever track you may believe the world is on. Why oh why is it so important to be right on this subject? Can there not be truth in arguments for and against?

This isn’t a debate that will save lives, cure cancer, make me smart or change whatever track you may believe the world is on. Why oh why is it so important to be right on this subject? Can there not be truth in arguments for and against?
Because some of us who do have serious issues in life and who see those important every day issues... enjoy discussing and arguing over UT football as a diversion. If that's not what you're doing... then why not just see your way clear of threads like this?

Yes he needs more attempts.

He was good despite the limitations placed on him by having a terrible first year play caller and a HC who wanted to run the ball because the line couldn't pass block.

With more attempts he is among the league leaders in all stats with the best int rate in the SEC.

Everyone but the most ignorant and agenda driven posters recognize this.

QB rating, completion percentage, ypa, and int ratio show he did well last year. We just need to open it up more this year.
There are two agendas here.

One is people who are fans of UT. There are people who think JG is a smaller and larger part of the offensive problems in this group. Their "agenda" is for UT to win.

The second are the cult like fans of JG who really only care about defending JG and denying his weaknesses. They'll "hate" on any other player, group of players, coach, or UT generally... to avoid laying any blame at all at the feet of their cult idol. You... are the model for this "agenda".

Because some of us who do have serious issues in life and who see those important every day issues... enjoy discussing and arguing over UT football as a diversion. If that's not what you're doing... then why not just see your way clear of threads like this?

That’s rich. I enjoy arguing football but realize that I don’t play or coach the game. I didn’t direct this towards you specifically but thank you for the answer.
The only problem I have with this thread is the inability of a few to acknowledge the points of the opposing few. Good points on both sides if one takes a step back and thinks for a moment.
I suppose we beat each other over the head until we have a common enemy when the season starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behr

Dont mind me, just Quoting to make it easier to find.

Reactions: MoodyVol
That’s rich. I enjoy arguing football but realize that I don’t play or coach the game. I didn’t direct this towards you specifically but thank you for the answer.
The only problem I have with this thread is the inability of a few to acknowledge the points of the opposing few. Good points on both sides of one takes a step back and thinks for a moment.
I suppose we beat each other over the head until we have a common enemy when the season starts.

Waste of time bro, but this whole thing is, so carry on. Lol.

And Rich it is.

Yep. Stating facts is "stupid" to some people.

MORE than most on here........

JG NEVER looks worse than when he is attempting to throw the long ball.....
His films just DON'T LIE.

Do we even have a WR who can run by SEC secondaries on the roster?

Up to this point, we DON'T have a QB who has proven that he can throw it past SEC secondaries....and as you said in a prior post, PART of that
problem for JG is HIS TIMING. He just flat out WAITS TOO LONG to throw it.

He has demonstrated NO CONCEPT of how to throw a receiver open.

I don't know if he will improve this season with Chaney. We NEED HIM to improve, but I am not thinking that he will.

Reactions: jacvols and sjt18
Waste of time bro, but this whole thing is, so carry on. Lol.

And Rich it is.

Sometimes I just like to check in on the people with “serious issues in life” to see what they are doing to combat their demons. I do have concerns for my fellow Vol Fans.

I’m outta this one!

Sometimes I just like to check in on the people with “serious issues in life” to see what they are doing to combat their demons. I do have concerns my my fellow Vol Fans.

I’m outta this one!

Serious life issues that are serious enough that I need a break from thinking about, but not so serious that I feel guilty wasting time talking seriously with some anonymous people on the internet about a game played by kids.

Wow....sorry but I guess we do have more in common than not....LOL

Serious life issues that are serious enough that I need a break from thinking about, but not so serious that I feel guilty wasting time talking seriously with some anonymous people on the internet about a game played by kids.

AMEN

The only problem I have with this thread is the inability of a few to acknowledge the points of the opposing few. Good points on both sides if one takes a step back and thinks for a moment.
Here's what I see. I see one or two that say JG can't even tie shoes correctly. They're wrong. The kid has untapped physical talent.

But I see more and a more determined effort from a few who absolutely refuse to see any weakness or place any blame on JG at all.

VN Store

Back