Could Butch leave?

Butch doesn't seem to have that killer instinct. Maybe at Cincy he could take it easy with a 14-17 point lead, not in the SEC . He needs to learn to keep the pedal to the metal and he will be okay.

Good weekend to start by hanging 100 on Vandy.

OK...good mid major coaches, I'd say probably very good in their short time at that level; all within their first 3 years of being HC and we really have no idea if they would be better than Jones.

Fuente has won 1 game he probably shouldn't have (Ole Miss)...his team has won some close ones and lost some close ones. It appears to me that he is competitive against his competition...much like Jones. I think it may be too early to tell if he is good enough to do all the things necessary at this level.

Rhule is having his first great season at Temple...another one that may be too early to call.

Babers is an interesting candidate but I'm not sure he's the right guy or better than Jones either. Short resume, he didn't inherit a mess at BGSU, but he's winning where he has HC'd so far. Just not enough to go on yet.

Just my take...there are a lot of young coaches out there doing pretty good at the level they're coaching. Gus Malzahn was one of them a few years ago...now the AU crowd isn't so enamored with their vunderkind.

I'll throw one back at you - Willie Taggert did a pretty decent job at WKU finishing their move into FBS and taking the team to its first D1 bowl game in 50 years. He seems to be digging USF out of the Skip Holts' hole...and beat Rhule a couple weeks back. May be too early...but I was impressed w/ what he did at WKU...and since a couple of my kids went there I did and do follow them a bit.

I don't know if any of those guys can sustain a program.

Taggert is definitely a guy who seems to have some game day skills along with the ability to build a program.

It is difficult to find a coach that is both in UT's price range... and unlike some programs UT MUST have both to be successful.

If UGA finds someone who can coach... they'll never have a shortage of players knocking the door down to play for them. Same with UF and LSU. Texas falls in that category as does USCw.

I don't know if any of those guys can sustain a program.

Taggert is definitely a guy who seems to have some game day skills along with the ability to build a program.

It is difficult to find a coach that is both in UT's price range... and unlike some programs UT MUST have both to be successful.

If UGA finds someone who can coach... they'll never have a shortage of players knocking the door down to play for them. Same with UF and LSU. Texas falls in that category as does USCw.

Middle TN is catching up talent-wise with the population booming in Davidson and surrounding counties. In 10-15 years TN might rival Georgia as far as talented high school football players go. I'm not predicting it, but we're certainly trending upwards.

VN assistants? Are you kidding? There are guys here on VN that are better coaches than most of D1 coaches. Dont you know we have about 10-20 top shelf, highly qualified head coaches on here? They know more about football than Butch and his staff combined. Do you even VN bro?

I never lost a Tecmo Bowl. Whatta you need to know?

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone who thinks Butch Jones is going to run away from a challenge doesn't know him very well or pay attention to much he says. He's not going anywhere on his own. He'll have to be ran out of Knoxville. The way things are trending, doesn't look like that'll be happening anytime time soon. GoVols!
that's the same message he drilled in cincys fan base

Nobody is going to hire Butch for a high profile job, ergo... we're stuck with him.

And volnation is stuck with you!

On topic Butch isn't leaving, JRM isn't leaving and Sutton isn’t leaving. Only seniors. To much hard work to get to where they're at and expectations coming next season.

Reactions: 3 people
I mean this isn't his first year in the profession. He should know that there are some absolute crazies out there and that's just part of it.

The death threats, etc. are absolutely uncalled for but he's gotta know that kind of stuff can happen.

If he doesn't want his family to have to deal with crazy high expectations and the wacky off-the-wall fans then he needs to go sell jingles for a car dealership.

I had a guy do a subtle threat to me today and I do not make near what the butcher does.

No thanks twice. Regardless of what happens with Jones (who probably isn't going anywhere)... Mizzou's DC and possibly DL coach could be available in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if Bajakian was encouraged to leave or not... but if those guys were interested in UT then I wouldn't mind if they suggested that Jancek and Stripling diversified their resumes.

Strip is why we are getting so many good DL who are producing. He has put many into the NFL Quit talking out your butt. Now everyone knows about your stupid gibberish.

If Les Miles is fired by LSU, he could be atop Missouri and South Carolina's coaching lists while I think Herman of Houston could land at Southern California since he is a California native. JMHO.

Just read these quotes on Tennessean.

Butch Jones: SEC coaching takes years off life

Now, I think it would be crazy to leave when you have the talent returning that Butch has, however, this does NOT sound like a coach that is loving the pressures of the SEC.

Any other thoughts? Insights? Could he pull an Urban?

I hope not.. Jones is the man to lead this program back to prominence!

OK...good mid major coaches, I'd say probably very good in their short time at that level; all within their first 3 years of being HC and we really have no idea if they would be better than Jones.

Fuente has won 1 game he probably shouldn't have (Ole Miss)...his team has won some close ones and lost some close ones. It appears to me that he is competitive against his competition...much like Jones. I think it may be too early to tell if he is good enough to do all the things necessary at this level.

Rhule is having his first great season at Temple...another one that may be too early to call.

Babers is an interesting candidate but I'm not sure he's the right guy or better than Jones either. Short resume, he didn't inherit a mess at BGSU, but he's winning where he has HC'd so far. Just not enough to go on yet.

Just my take...there are a lot of young coaches out there doing pretty good at the level they're coaching. Gus Malzahn was one of them a few years ago...now the AU crowd isn't so enamored with their vunderkind.

I'll throw one back at you - Willie Taggert did a pretty decent job at WKU finishing their move into FBS and taking the team to its first D1 bowl game in 50 years. He seems to be digging USF out of the Skip Holts' hole...and beat Rhule a couple weeks back. May be too early...but I was impressed w/ what he did at WKU...and since a couple of my kids went there I did and do follow them a bit.

Imho you left out the guy I think could be the best of this year's crop of good young coaches... Toledo's Matt Campbell.

I don't see how Butch could look this team in the eyes and say he is leaving after building what we have now

I don't see how Butch could look this team in the eyes and say he is leaving after building what we have now

Butch Jones will do just that at some point (unless he's fired) first. Almost all coaches move on at some point with very few exceptions and Butch Jones is no different. It's a business

Taggart is a good coach. I actually wanted us to hire him when Dooley was fired.

I wonder if anyone mentioned that he had to follow one of the worst coaches of all time that left this program in total shambles?

Ho long is that song going to be sung??? When does he step up, and take responsibility ??? Two more years? Five more years? There must come a time, when even the fan boys agree, it's on him. The idea that "We're heading in the right direction", is very kind. But in the SEC, we don't need kind, we need hard as nails WINNING coaches, if we don't have one, we'll never even win the SEC.:banghead2:

VN Store

Back