Could Bucs LBs coach Barry join Vols as defensive coordinator? No, not really.

I really want to see Lance Thompson as our DC. He is very familar with the recruits and I see him leaving for a DC job somewhere else if he doesn't get this one. I've been really impressed by his response to this situation and trying to keep this class together
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Depth is an issue no matter who we bring in… it is going to be worse for Monte’s replacement than it was for Monte. Money has nothing to do with it. We could pay Saban $10M a year to be our DC (hypothetically speaking - not literal on many levels) or we can pay Lance Thompson $400K. Regardless, we still have a problem until our depleted roster is replenished.

The part of our fan base mentioned above is in for a collision course with reality. Hope stronger minds prevail for Dooley’s sake; we are in for some down years.

Make no mistake, Kiffin’s tenure hurt much more than helped.

Having said all that, this hire (should it transpire) is a good one, IMHO.

I never said money was an issue. I said Monte didn't deserve as much money as he was being paid here, based on our defensive performance last year regardless of lack of depth and injuries.

I heard kiffin is tryin to get him as well. I wonder if he was already interested or if he wants him so we don't get him.

What's IMO & IMHO?

Kiff's prob trying to get Barry cause he graduated from S. Cal & he thinks he can...and, cause we're going after him. That probably helps his motivation to hire him. Just like how he probably had Garza recruiting Hunter & Loften for UT, with plans to hire him away, & grab those two at USC. Neither will come to UT now that Garza's gone, I'm fairly confident of that.

I never said money was an issue. I said Monte didn't deserve as much money as he was being paid here, based on our defensive performance last year regardless of lack of depth and injuries.

How much was he making at the BUCS, wasn’t it in the neighborhood of $3M? Check out their message boards when he announced he was coming to UT. By the sentiments expressed it seems most felt he was worth 3x what we paid him.

As for his tenure at UT, in hindsight you’re right… he wasn’t worth the money. Had he stayed years instead of months... who knows(?). Given the results of last year and what it cost though, you are absolutely correct.

However, looking toward the future at the time he was hired... he was definitely worth the money.

What's IMO & IMHO?

Kiff's prob trying to get Barry cause he graduated from S. Cal & he thinks he can...and, cause we're going after him. That probably helps his motivation to hire him. Just like how he probably had Garza recruiting Hunter & Loften for UT, with plans to hire him away, & grab those two at USC. Neither will come to UT now that Garza's gone, I'm fairly confident of that.
Hunter already said since Garza left, that he is still solid to UT (his position coach ain't going anywhere, and he also wants to be close enough to home that his folks can drive to games)

I am convinced that this site is a curse to any candidate mentioned. The person hired will most definitely be a surprise. Someone many of us were not expecting.

I am convinced that this site is a curse to any candidate mentioned. The person hired will most definitely be a surprise. Someone many of us were not expecting.
After the snoozer he hired today...that would be great for Tennessee.....TECH!....I'm done hoping for the best with Dooley. His hire was a snoozer as it was, and I'm convinced after he said in the presser that this wouldn't be an all-star staff (setting us up to embrace low-expectations), that he was going to bring in a mess of no-name bunch of his buds.

He's proving me right with at least every other hire. Bagget is the only one worth noting.

I am sitting here eating my Big Orange Now and Laters and can't believe that anyone is not impressed with what monte did last year. sounds more like sour oranges than anything.

If you don't have the personnel, your defense is not going to be very good. simple as that. According to the ncaa's website, alabama's defense in 2007 (saban's first year), alabama was 31st in the country and they went 7-6. wonder why? they didn't have the defensive personnel to run his defense. after his second recruiting class, bama went to number 3 in the country and went 12 and 2. this past year, they were number two and we know what happened. sure the scheme is part of it but you have to have the players.

monte is known for the tampa two. we didn't have the personnel to run the defense he had perfected in the NFL, yet he adapted and we held florida to 23 pts, and bama to 12 (who put up 37 against the number 3 texas defense run by muschamp). except for the ole miss game (when our defense was decimated by injuries and only three days after the robbery), our defense was fine this year. our defense didn't lose the ucla game, our defense didn't lose the fla game, our defense didn't lose the bama game, our defense didn't lose the auburn game. we have to have the players brothas and we just didn't have them this year.

in any event, the past is the past and we have to look to the future. i think bringing in someone who was mentored by a future hall of famer is a great idea. especially someone WHO WANTS TO COME and be apart of the VOLNATION! Why make the comments like he did if he didn't want the job. After what we have went through the last two weeks, someone who wants to be here is important and to have the pedigree of mentoring under monte for 7 years is icing on the cake. IMO, bringing in barry to run the D with CLT right by his side seems like a great fit for UT.

Go Getta'em CDD and Go Vols!

excellent post ...somebody ring the bell

Amen brother, someone with NFL experience WHO WANTS TO BE HERE! What a concept.

(insane applause)

Much agreed w/your Fulmer comment; I'm so bitter towards the guy it's almost like he never did anything good; Regardless, we've got 27 mid-term commitments; Phil's last year he had 2

I dont get it either man ...why did her 'short ' recruit us ...meaning not filling out most of the scholarships ? There are 2 and 3 star 'project' guys out there if he could not get the bluechips. Why was Phil only bringing in 18 recruits at times? just don't get it

maybe we should just let TENNacious hire the entire coaching staff. You hate on every single thing that has happened with the exception of Bagget. You have no idea what these guys can do. They would not be hired if they were not qualified. According to you they are snoozers. Im curious, who would you hire? Who would you have coaching each position? Enlighten all of us.

And before you retort this statement with "shut up cuz you only have 15 posts," just know that I am fully expecting it. Tear me down because I would rather trust MY football coach's opinion on the coaches rather than someone who doesn't recognize anything positive ever.

maybe we should just let TENNacious hire the entire coaching staff. You hate on every single thing that has happened with the exception of Bagget. You have no idea what these guys can do. They would not be hired if they were not qualified. According to you they are snoozers. Im curious, who would you hire? Who would you have coaching each position? Enlighten all of us.

And before you retort this statement with "shut up cuz you only have 15 posts," just know that I am fully expecting it. Tear me down because I would rather trust MY football coach's opinion on the coaches rather than someone who doesn't recognize anything positive ever.

I could not agree more with you, and I bet I am not the only one. I get so tired of seeing all this guy's posts.

Pete Carroll was scraps too when he went to USC

ummmm....no

Iowa State (SC)
Ohio State (SC)
North Carolina State (DC)
Pacific (OC)
Buffalo Bills (DB)
Minnesota Vikings (DB)
New York Jets (DC)
New York Jets
San Francisco 49ers (DC)
New England Patriots HC
USC

ummmm....no

Iowa State (SC)
Ohio State (SC)
Pacific (OC)
Buffalo Bills (DB)
Minnesota Vikings (DB)
New York Jets (DC)
New York Jets
San Francisco 49ers (DC)
New England Patriots HC
USC

If I remember correctly, he was a recently fired NFL coach that nobody wanted. Most people thought he was a bust as the pick to be the coach of USC, but you probably don't remember that.

More cover 2. I think I am going to puke. What has my beloved school come to.

my man...we have never ran a 'cover 2 defense' nor have we run a 'Tampa 2' You may have seen Tampa looks 2 times a game against pro style offenses ...but that is less than most teams use it.

We were Cover 1 or even Cover 0 . Our defense was more like a flexible 4-4 . Or you could call it an 8 man front .

Don't fear the cover 2 or Tampa 2 -- They are two different things. It is not here , will never be here unless everyone switches to a pro style , and it never was here .

excellent post ...somebody ring the bell

Ding, ding and ding again. The consensus here seems to be that they would love to get an experienced defensive guru and are quite upset by the lack of household names dd has been looking at for dc. People grouse that we are not "opening the check book" to go after the best in the business. And yet last year we literally had one of the best that has ever coached a defense in mk. After having him for a year they talk about how he sucked because we looked clueless. Uh, we finished 22 inthe nation in total defense, we were in the top 15 in total defense prior to losing all our game ready linebackers. And that same stretch included games against the only two teams to be ranked no. 1 inthe nation for the entire season. This was done during a time when the offense was bad at times and epically hamstrung by qb play at others. This was done with a thin roster of tallent, a dl rotation that included a guy that could never practice because his knees were so bad, but we needed him anyway because we just didn't have enough guys.

We would kill at this moment to get someone of mk caliber right now and he would be worth every dime we pay him, because with our roster, we are going to have to out coach the other team week in and week out to cover all of our weaknesses. Do we have good players? Sure we do, you can reel off 20-30 names of good players, but that doesn't cut it. Reality is it takes a two deep roster of tallent across the board to compete, and we don't have that. I'm really concerned that next year, when we are suffering through a tough year, that the same people who couldn't distinguish between bad coaching and personnel shortcomings will be talking about how our current coaches "suck."

If I remember correctly, he was a recently fired NFL coach that nobody wanted. Most people thought he was a bust as the pick to be the coach of USC, but you probably don't remember that.

I recall ...but he wasn't a no name , no experience , never been there - done that kinda guy . Poistion Coach experience , coordinator experience , and head coaching experience .

Failing in the NFL does not make a coach 'scraps' ...Nick Saban , Lou Holtz , Steve Spurrier , the list could go on and on .

My point is ..Carrol did not come from a single stint at a losing low level college team. comparing apples to oranges

ummmm....no

Iowa State (SC)
Ohio State (SC)
Pacific (OC)
Buffalo Bills (DB)
Minnesota Vikings (DB)
New York Jets (DC)
New York Jets
San Francisco 49ers (DC)
New England Patriots HC
USC

I lived in Connecticut when PC coached the Pats. They hated him up there and he failed terribly. See similar resutls in store in Seattle.

VN Store

Back