Could BJ be next great coach in SEC?

He has to prove it on the field. If he does not make a bowl game this year he will loose his mojo. He screwed up an opportunity to make a bowl game last year and that may come back to haunt him.

He gets an A+ in recruiting and selling the program but we are still waiting for player development and game day coaching. So far he has an incomplete there.

Prove it on the field. We did beat S Carolina last year. The number 4 team in the nation. Give Butch the time to get his players in here. Kiffin and Dooley messed it up bad. It will take Butch a couple years to get it fixed. Dooley didn't even figured it out because he left us with all the O-line and D-line gone after last year. Butch will not let us get in that shape again. He knows what he is doing.

It isn't an advantage until we actually see those players contribute.

The one class we have a measure on so far is the '13 class. Two of the five 4* players Jones signed are already gone. Sanders appears to have been passed by a Fr.

Jabo Lee who you must have forgotten about never made it to campus.

Malik Brown is gone already too, correct?

I'm not throwing stones at Jones over attrition. It happens just like it happened with Dooley and Kiffin and Fulmer.

Jabo Lee was "encouraged" to find another school after he made his grades. So, technically not the same as a non-qualifier.

You're missing my point. I was specifically referring to players that Dooley recruited that did not qualify academically to enroll.

Attrition after enrollment happens to all coaches, but it seems for whatever reason you can't admit that anything Butch and his staff have done thus far is significant or better than Dooley.

Reactions: 2 people
let us not forget that Kiffen and Dooley also had us in BIG trouble with the NCAA academically and we almost received sanctions because of it. CBJ and staff had that limiting who we could recruit while raising the teams GPA to get us out of trouble.

You can bet that still has a HUGE effect on who we can recruit regardless of the number of stars the recruit has. Our recruits have to perform well in the class room.

to try to pretend that CBJ and staff haven't outperformed both Kiffen and Dooley in recruiting is stupid.

Only time will tell. But it sure looks in Butch's favor.. He is a hell of a recruiter.

With 2 more recruiting coach Jones can sell the 3 year plan to our recruits like little nicky does and that's when we start taking what recruits we want and let little nicky take our leftovers.

Broken damn record talking about last years losses. They were months ago, in 2013 and with a different team. Move on and shut up with the repetitive bs about mizzou and vandy, for ****'* sake, and please, no more 3A east tn football stories and how they relate to sec football. It's mind numbing.
If somebody came on here talking about the SC win everyday I'd say the same thing. Last year is gone.
We are on a new football season and discussing if we should've beaten vandy or that mizzou wasn't more talented is tired.

It isn't an advantage until we actually see those players contribute.

The one class we have a measure on so far is the '13 class. Two of the five 4* players Jones signed are already gone. Sanders appears to have been passed by a Fr.

Jabo Lee who you must have forgotten about never made it to campus.

Malik Brown is gone already too, correct?

I'm not throwing stones at Jones over attrition. It happens just like it happened with Dooley and Kiffin and Fulmer.

If you think about he had only 6 weeks to recruits he had to keep most of DD verbals, so let the man have 2 more recruiting classes and see where we are at, before we start judging him, but I can tell you one thing right now we will be kicking AZZ in 2 years.:rock:

Broken damn record talking about last years losses. They were months ago, in 2013 and with a different team. Move on and shut up with the repetitive bs about mizzou and vandy, for ****'* sake, and please, no more 3A east tn football stories and how they relate to sec football. It's mind numbing.
If somebody came on here talking about the SC win everyday I'd say the same thing. Last year is gone.
We are on a new football season and discussing if we should've beaten vandy or that mizzou wasn't more talented is tired.

Give them H@LL man, tell them like it is tell them FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF there self.:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure who said UT "would" have beaten them. But UT would have played the game differently. It would have been managed differently. Worley probably wouldn't have been slinging the ball around like he did after coming in. It certainly isn't a stretch to say Worley would have been better than 4/11 for 5 yards and 3 turnovers in the 1st half.

UT would have had a better chance for the win. It is the coach's job to give his team their best chance to win.

BTW, I still respect the decision. It took guts. But a coach isn't evaluated on his guts... he's evaluated on the quality of his decisions. That would went terribly wrong.

Seemingly everybody who's commented on last year's Florida game holds that opinion. I disagree.

I'm with you 100% that Worley would've played better than Peterman. Hell, either you or I would have just by taking the snap, taking a knee and kicking the fg in the first qtr and then punting after doing the same on every other first half possession

However, it was a 17-7 game at the half, we got the ball to start the second half so there was absolutely no need to sling the ball around at all. In fact, in our first 2 drives of the second half, we ran 13 plays.... 6 were runs, 7 were passes.

We only began to sling it around in the 4th after we'd been out scored 14-3 with Worley as QB for the 4th quarter. We scored at the 10:20 mark of the 4th. From that point on, Justin was 3-12 for 60 yards and 2 ints. And as I mentioned, Florida our scored us 14-10 for the second half when Justin was in there.

Justin played much better than Peterman, but I just don't believe we would've won if he'd started and played the whole game.

Jabo Lee was "encouraged" to find another school after he made his grades. So, technically not the same as a non-qualifier.
Don't do that. Don't parse and excuse until you wiggle around things. I'm sure if I were inclined to excuse Dooley on a recruit or two I could find some that did the same.

You're missing my point. I was specifically referring to players that Dooley recruited that did not qualify academically to enroll.
Yes. if that was your point then I missed it... and still fail to see the importance of that point. If guys don't qualify or else they never pan out after qualifying... what real difference does it make?

Attrition after enrollment happens to all coaches, but it seems for whatever reason you can't admit that anything Butch and his staff have done thus far is significant or better than Dooley.
I'm not closed to it. But everyone wants to use recruiting results and I am simply pointing out that if the '15 class doesn't add some 4/5* players then his avg over 3 years isn't going to be much if any better than Dooley's.

We also don't know that he's a better coach at the level he's at. The evidence to prove that just isn't in yet. I hope we all want to believe that he is but '13 was not impressive no matter how hard you try to excuse it by blaming the players. Dooley and Kiffin faced similar situations and both made a bowl.

And I'll repeat... even if you could prove that Jones was marginally better than Dooley at this point... that wouldn't be very comforting. UT needs someone MUCH better than Dooley.

Prove it on the field. We did beat S Carolina last year. The number 4 team in the nation. Give Butch the time to get his players in here. Kiffin and Dooley messed it up bad. It will take Butch a couple years to get it fixed. Dooley didn't even figured it out because he left us with all the O-line and D-line gone after last year. Butch will not let us get in that shape again. He knows what he is doing.

5-7 is not proving it on the field in the SEC. in fact, that is Vandy's level of success. I give him a mulligan for last year but he should have won seven games with a veteran offensive line.

If you don't want to read it... DON'T. Believe it or not... not everyone here writes or participates in the board for YOUR pleasure.

Last year is part of Jones record. It doesn't have to be ignored because it is inconvenient or unpleasant.
The past... is still the best predictor of the future. Last year is relevant to what we can expect this fall and going forward. I'm not sure yet what it means... but it wasn't good. Perhaps it is part of some master plan or grand method for transforming the program. I hope so. But all we have now... are the FACTS of last fall.

I've talked PLENTY about the upcoming season there Mo. Give the stalking a rest. You DO have a thing you do ad nauseum... that's follow me around, ignore 95% of what I post, and jump on crap like this.

If you think about he had only 6 weeks to recruits he had to keep most of DD verbals, so let the man have 2 more recruiting classes and see where we are at, before we start judging him, but I can tell you one thing right now we will be kicking AZZ in 2 years.:rock:

I've never denied that Dooley left him in a bad way. He left him in a deep hole.

Blah blah. Last year isn't a predictor of future years. If you think it is, why tf would you watch.
It's football and cyclical.

And it's hard not to read the same **** over and over because you put in in multiple threads. Still arguing mizzou wasn't better or faster. That's brilliant.

Reactions: 3 people
Blah blah. Last year isn't a predictor of future years. If you think it is, why tf would you watch.

And it's hard not to read the same **** over and over because you put in in multiple threads. Still arguing mizzou wasn't better or faster. That's brilliant.

:birgits_giggle:

There is nobody on the planet that would say we were more talented or as talented.

One listed 40 times in HS to try to prove we had as much football speed as them.
Yet my 6 yr old figured it out in about 3 plays. "Dad, why are we slower than everybody we play", were the exact words.

Oh my god.....that is the worst. Yet, these knuckle heads don't stop to consider that reported high school times are faster than nfl combine results. That stuff is a bunch of bogus crap.
The only thing recruiting gurus can tell you is who has offered who and therefore, what staffs have vetted prospects as being legit. I would rather sign guys that were offered by Bama and Florida than mtsu and Florida international. But past that, I wait until I see them and understand that at least 50 percent of them won't cut it in the long run.

If you are as smart as you thought you were then you would have figured out that I wasn't just talking about results.

Then you need to get your head out of there before you smother. When it comes up or is relevant to the conversation or point, I talk about it. I do NOT harp on it or bring it up randomly as you've tried to suggest.

You can deny as long as you like. Mizzou didn't win because they had better athletes.

One listed 40 times in HS to try to prove we had as much football speed as them.
Yet my 6 yr old figured it out in about 3 plays. "Dad, why are we slower than everybody we play", were the exact words.

When your kicker runs faster than your DBs on pro day, you might have a talent problem.

When your kicker runs faster than your DBs on pro day, you might have a talent problem.

4 defensive players drafted since Eric Berry. Boise had 9 in same period. Bama had 23 during the same time. Nfl drafts speed and they haven't liked UT defensive players like they used to.
But they will soon.

Come on guys...calm down

We are all tennessee fans.

Rocky top you'll always be.........home...sweet .............

Ok I'll shut up

Recruiting is improved.
Off field issues are down
Strength and conditioning is up.
Team gpa is up.
Leaders seem to be in place on both sides of the ball.
Enough upper classmen in year two of the system to make a difference.
Enough young talent to push the team in the right direction
Skill players, especially QBs seemed to take their development seriously and participated in all the right camps, etc.

Bottom line, all the elements are in place for this to be a much better year than last. If Butch can't get to a bowl game then we can question his coaching ability. I think we get there before Kentucky.

VN Store

Back