Coronavirus (No politics)

The New York governor explained it very well in his address this morning. Just trying to stop the wave from overwhelming the medical capabilities. It comes down to how many ventilators are available for the percentage who need them, small percentage but can easily overrun the available capacity. He said he did not expect to stop the wave only trying to reduce its impact. They have 3,000 of these in New York and they are currently 80% occupied. That means when the wave hits people will die simply because of lack of equipment and overcrowding. This is the reason for shutting and slowing the pace of the virus.

Personally, I don't care to see a lockdown. Like most on this board, I am fiercely independent and don't like gov interference in life.

The purpose of my posts is not to stir up hype, but to bring up information as it surfaces.

I can see where there are questions about the current Covid19 infection rates and death rates. I have those questions too.

One thing that stands out though is that the hospitals in Italy are at near capacity with Covid19 intensive care cases across many age ranges. Same thing happened in China. The common flu and the Swine H1N1 flu didn't do that. South Korea got ahead of the game and prevented this situation from happening there.

How this unfolds in the US is TBD. New York City will likely be the first indicator.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
The risk is real. Prevention will help. Sometimes making sacrifices is necessary and it’s noble to care about other people. Medical professionals will thank you for it when they don’t have to let people die because we are out of supplies like in Italy. It’s easy to say something doesn’t matter until it’s staring you in the face. We don’t have to think ahead and act now (we are already late but now is better than later still). It’s just that if we don’t we’ll regret it, some people more than others. Maybe you or someone you care for very much.

Current US mortality rate 1.8%. Remove Washington state from the numbers and it drops to 1.1%. Number of infected will continue growing, and that mortality rate is going to trend closer to that 1.1% number, if not lower. Just my prediction.

Reactions: gisman and I40flyer
Current US mortality rate 1.8%. Remove Washington state from the numbers and it drops to 1.1%. Number of infected will continue growing, and that mortality rate is going to trend closer to that 1.1% number, if not lower. Just my prediction.
It’s too early to play with the rate. Give it time and may indeed decrease. I’ve said this for over a month now: look at how many people have recovered compared to infected numbers. Last I saw it was only a handful of people in the US. That’s a little concerning. I really hope this isn’t as bad as it sounds.

Death rate will still be down to flu levels once the tests are done. Won’t make a difference. But hey be scared of it if you want.

If we don’t get in front of it and the hospitals get swamped the death rate will be higher. That is what this is all about.

Yes, the vast majority who get it will not die. However the ones that will need to be hospitalized can quickly out pace the number of beds available.

See post above about ventilators in NY. That is the real concern.

Reactions: A.Vol70
It’s too early to play with the rate. Give it time and may indeed decrease. I’ve said this for over a month now: look at how many people have recovered compared to infected numbers. Last I saw it was only a handful of people in the US. That’s a little concerning. I really hope this isn’t as bad as it sounds.
It’s not as bad as it sounds. Whatever the final numbers come out to be, the infection numbers will far outpace the mortality numbers, reducing the mortality rate.

The N95 masks and hand sanitizer are issues of greed. People aren't trying to be sure they're healthy, they are trying to get rich.

The toilet paper is the same reason people buy milk and bread when they are calling for snow. It's just what we do. We are not going to run out of toilet paper in this country.

If you want to use any of those three things to judge how people really feel about this virus, you're kidding yourself.

The Ohio and Illinois governors have ordered all restaurants to be closed. Drive-thru, takeout, and food delivery will be allowed. No dine-in.

Reactions: TBrown
The N95 masks and hand sanitizer are issues of greed. People aren't trying to be sure they're healthy, they are trying to get rich.

The toilet paper is the same reason people buy milk and bread when they are calling for snow. It's just what we do. We are not going to run out of toilet paper in this country.

If you want to use any of those three things to judge how people really feel about this virus, you're kidding yourself.

The toilet paper panic isn’t even just a US thing. People in Europe and Australia doing the same thing.

H1N1 Swine Flu had a death rate of 0.02%, five times less than the flu death rate and about 50x lower than Covid19. All hype with no bite.
Y2k and the Mayan thing were based on speculation or other non-existent facts.

However, there are hard numbers on what Covid19 has done, and has the capability to do, in other countries, with examples from countries that act soon and examples for countries that act too late. In particular, there is information showing that it can overwhelm hospital systems with people of all ages requiring critical care and or intensive care to survive Covid19.

It is wrong to overhype the effects of Covid19. It is also wrong to dismiss current information and write this off as a non-event.
It sounds like a lot of the people who've been taken out ("vulnerables") were going to be taken out by something soon anyway, the same kind of folks who generally don't get much beyond palliative care in countries with rationed, socialized medical care like China and Italy. I don't have a clue what medicine looks like in Iran. Anything can happen, but this is shaping up to be much ado about nothing.

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back