Coronavirus (No politics)

My department sent a message yesterday, new social distancing policy starts tomorrow. People are divided into team A or B. The team I was put on will work from home Mon-Wed and go into the office Thurs-Fri this week. Then switches the following week.

Interested to see who is all on Team A or B. I know my official team has been put on the same team A and we are spread out in four states. Some official teams are all in the same location, so did they split those up or what.

The DoD has banned all domestic travel for military personnel and families.
Annoying. I get it, but annoying. My sister can't come home to Charleston next month just to hang out at my parents house. We will delay the family hanging out to May.

Annoying. I get it, but annoying. My sister can't come home to Charleston next month just to hang out at my parents house. We will delay the family hanging out to May.
I was going on leave Saturday....

Take a break from all the gloom and doom for just a moment.....

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Overheard this yesterday - "They're gonna send college kids home. They don't get the corona virus. It's gonna be all over their dirty clothes. Moms are gonna wash their kids clothes and contract the virus. Before they're showing any symptoms, they're gonna check in on their elderly parents and give them the virus. We're gonna lose the grandparent generation because of this."

🙄

Still having trouble thinking that this is any different H1N1, Y2k, the Myan apocalypse, etc. Media blew this thing up and made people freak out to the point where the politicians had to do something, or at least appear to do something. If we're going to take this tack with every illness that is transmittable and potentially fatal, then we may as well resign ourselves to going back to a pre-civilization way of life where you eat whatever you can kill with a rock or a stick.

If your elderly and/or havr respiratory issues please seek help if you feel ill..

If not. STFU and go to work before yall crash thr f'n economy!!!!

Reactions: allvol123
I don't know if these moves were premature, we will find out later. I do know the push to overachieve here was due to the immediate politicization of this event by the media. Candidates and rival politicians should keep their mouths shut and let the people in charge, doesn't matter who they are or what party they belong to, handle it as best they can. Interference only makes things worse by creating panic and the by-product, mass hysteria.

I don't know if these moves were premature, we will find out later. I do know the push to overachieve here was due to the immediate politicization of this event by the media. Candidates and rival politicians should keep their mouths shut and let the people in charge, doesn't matter who they are or what party they belong to, handle it as best they can. Interference only makes things worse by creating panic and the by-product, mass hysteria.
Not sure I agree with you.

If your elderly and/or havr respiratory issues please seek help if you feel ill..

If not. STFU and go to work before yall crash thr f'n economy!!!!

I don’t think that’s how this works at all...
this virus is getting into the bodies of all age people. It is just that the older you are, or the more health issues you already have, the likelier you are to die.

Also on that continuum is people who won’t die, but will need periods of hospitalization and intensive life-saving care.

I guess if you knew in advance that a)you were immune [not possible since this is a brand new virus that hasn’t worked through humans before], and also b) that you wouldn’t spread it to everyone you interacted with, then yes - be cavalier and throw caution to the wind.

But evidence from sophisticated European nations (I don’t trust any info from China), is that this thing will cripple our healthcare system if we take a do-nothing approach.

I don’t think we prevent that by just asking old folks to stay home. The rest of us can carry this around (and potentially get quite sick) too.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
Still having trouble thinking that this is any different H1N1, Y2k, the Myan apocalypse, etc. Media blew this thing up and made people freak out to the point where the politicians had to do something, or at least appear to do something. If we're going to take this tack with every illness that is transmittable and potentially fatal, then we may as well resign ourselves to going back to a pre-civilization way of life where you eat whatever you can kill with a rock or a stick.

H1N1 Swine Flu had a death rate of 0.02%, five times less than the flu death rate and about 50x lower than Covid19. All hype with no bite.
Y2k and the Mayan thing were based on speculation or other non-existent facts.

However, there are hard numbers on what Covid19 has done, and has the capability to do, in other countries, with examples from countries that act soon and examples for countries that act too late. In particular, there is information showing that it can overwhelm hospital systems with people of all ages requiring critical care and or intensive care to survive Covid19.

It is wrong to overhype the effects of Covid19. It is also wrong to dismiss current information and write this off as a non-event.

H1N1 Swine Flu had a death rate of 0.02%, five times less than the flu death rate and about 50x lower than Covid19. All hype with no bite.
Y2k and the Mayan thing were based on speculation or other non-existent facts.

However, there are hard numbers on what Covid19 has done, and has the capability to do, in other countries, with examples from countries that act soon and examples for countries that act too late. In particular, there is information showing that it can overwhelm hospital systems with people of all ages requiring critical care and or intensive care to survive Covid19.

It is wrong to overhype the effects of Covid19. It is also wrong to dismiss current information and write this off as a non-event.

Hard numbers.

18,000 american deaths in us only

Currently 6000 covid deaths worldwide, and it has been worldwide for months.

VN Store

Back