$/ Corona/eligibility

A heart felt Thank You to you ALL!
Landon Gray will not be returning for the extra year. He will graduate with his Business Mgmt degree next month and go to work for Sports Field Solutions, a sizable sports field maint and construction company here in TX. The dream was always to play in the bigs, but life happens and he was offered a great position with a company where he gets to be on fields and meet with coaches every day.

The TN experience for our family has been EPIC! Landon and his wife Avery (married in Nov) are VFLs! They love Knoxville and UT. They were welcomed with open arms and there is absolutely no negative to speak of with the program. We all made life long friends and will be VOLS fans for life!

Just to cover nay sayers: Yes he was given the opportunity to return. In fact, All coaches stayed in great contact and strongly encouraged his return. The money, status etc would have been exactly the same. Even more important, they have fully supported him in his decision to pass on the extra year, pass on the low ball free agent signing possibilities and accept the career with a company they all know!
For me, this forum has been most entertaining and informative. You won’t be getting rid of me anytime soon. Now it’s no secret who I am and I can speak freely ( No you didn’t know I was a Dad)!

Again, Thanks from the Gray family! GO VOLS!

Landon Gray will not be returning for the extra year. He will graduate with his Business Mgmt degree next month and go to work for Sports Field Solutions, a sizable sports field maint and construction company here in TX. The dream was always to play in the bigs, but life happens and he was offered a great position with a company where he gets to be on fields and meet with coaches every day.

The TN experience for our family has been EPIC! Landon and his wife Avery (married in Nov) are VFLs! They love Knoxville and UT. They were welcomed with open arms and there is absolutely no negative to speak of with the program. We all made life long friends and will be VOLS fans for life!

Just to cover nay sayers: Yes he was given the opportunity to return. In fact, All coaches stayed in great contact and strongly encouraged his return. The money, status etc would have been exactly the same. Even more important, they have fully supported him in his decision to pass on the extra year, pass on the low ball free agent signing possibilities and accept the career with a company they all know!
For me, this forum has been most entertaining and informative. You won’t be getting rid of me anytime soon. Now it’s no secret who I am and I can speak freely ( No you didn’t know I was a Dad)!

Congrats to Landon. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and will succeed in life. Also sounds like he benefitted from good parenting.

Please stay around here.

Thank you to your son’s contributions. I enjoyed watching him play. He was finding a groove this year too with the stick. It’s a shame this was ripped away from him. Congratulations on his new job!

Last edited:
Not surprised, but ugh.
The upcoming Cape Cod Baseball League season is still on ... for now. The CCBL's Board of Directors will meet May 6 to discuss how the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has shut down colleges nationwide and canceled spring baseball for the grand majority of potential Cape League players, will impact its scheduled starting date of June 13.

Cape League president Chuck Sturtevant said that announcements by Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker, Major League Baseball or the National Alliance of College Summer Baseball prior to May 6 could directly impact the CCBL's ability to have a 2020 summer season.

You got more on this??

Congrats to Landon!

The upcoming Cape Cod Baseball League season is still on ... for now. The CCBL's Board of Directors will meet May 6 to discuss how the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has shut down colleges nationwide and canceled spring baseball for the grand majority of potential Cape League players, will impact its scheduled starting date of June 13.

Cape League president Chuck Sturtevant said that announcements by Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker, Major League Baseball or the National Alliance of College Summer Baseball prior to May 6 could directly impact the CCBL's ability to have a 2020 summer season.

You got more on this??

Here’s the unfortunate news: Cape Cod Baseball League: News.

I've enjoyed watching Landon work the last two years. Congratulations to him on the recent nuptials, graduation and new career.

Please do stick around. Maybe one day we'll meet up at a Vol game on Texas soil.

Vols dipped into the grad transfer market and picked up Jackson Greer from ETSU , he will be a good replacement for Landon Gray. Him and Pav will be a hell of a catching duo!

Last edited:
Reactions: TX2TN and txbo
I missed it. What did it say?

Sorry I missed this
it’s been a very confusing list of tweets by Kendall Rogers about transfer being immediately eligible.

best way I can explain is that it can be voted on in May but isn’t as likely as I thought a few days ago.
but Rogers muddied the water with his tweets that were all over the map

Sorry I missed this
it’s been a very confusing list of tweets by Kendall Rogers about transfer being immediately eligible.

best way I can explain is that it can be voted on in May but isn’t as likely as I thought a few days ago.
but Rogers muddied the water with his tweets that were all over the map

Thanks.

Sounds like it’s still anybody’s guess.

Best of luck to Landon!!! I've really enjoyed watching him play the last 2 years and sooner than later all of life's realities are presented to us and decisions have to be made. Sounds like Landon has a made his decision and I wish him nothing but the best in the next phase of his life.........this is an example of how its suppose to work for 99% of the student-athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TX2TN and txbo
Best Wishes to Landon Gray, such a great Guy , fun to watch. Wish him and his wife a long life together with many blessings along the way. Great time watching him at UT. Congrats on the degree and Job opportunity!!! Go Vols!!!

Considering that Vanderbilt is paying for full scholarships on most of their players, it would be quite expensive for the school to pay. Despite their recent success, it does not break even. Even though the school is a "taker" that sucks more from the SEC than it possibly provides overall. Even welfare queens have their limits.

Considering that Vanderbilt is paying for full scholarships on most of their players, it would be quite expensive for the school to pay. Despite their recent success, it does not break even. Even though the school is a "taker" that sucks more from the SEC than it possibly provides overall. Even welfare queens have their limits.

I Don’t follow what you are saying

as for vandy their players get the $ like all
The student body

This doesn’t effect them at all $ wise really. They have had players there that decided to quit playing baseball but stay there because the $ was so good

Vols dipped into the grad transfer market and picked up Jackson Greer from ETSU , he will be a good replacement for Landon Gray. Him and Pav will be a hell of a catching duo!
Will be interesting to see which seniors come back, which guys get drafted and sign, etc...

The NCAA really screwed up letting everyone get this year back. Compete cluster where Many are going to be hurt for the next 4 years
I guess the real question is whether all of those guys being essentially free agents with the shortened draft, does that increase or decrease the number of returnees? It will be interesting to see how that goes.

I guess the real question is whether all of those guys being essentially free agents with the shortened draft, does that increase or decrease the number of returnees? It will be interesting to see how that goes.

More returners with less incoming guys. Next years in coming class will be much less across college baseball. It’s really bad for the class of 2021

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back