$/ Corona/eligibility

I wish they would get creative.

The waiver applies to all players.

All seniors and stud Juniors, might apply to a few Sophomores, basically think of it as a Cape Cod League, from each conference make up a spring league next year.

So the SEC East and West, both have all star teams. They play versus other D1 conference all stars.

That would free up extra roster spots for incoming freshmen.

Obviously, there are elements like housing, coaches, many other things but people work it out for summer ball every year.

I wish they would get creative.

The waiver applies to all players.

All seniors and stud Juniors, might apply to a few Sophomores, basically think of it as a Cape Cod League, from each conference make up a spring league next year.

So the SEC East and West, both have all star teams. They play versus other D1 conference all stars.

That would free up extra roster spots for incoming freshmen.

Obviously, there are elements like housing, coaches, many other things but people work it out for summer ball every year.

I’ve said to finish this season in the fall. Move the Mlb draft to the winter and play a new season next spring

I think it could be wildly popular. Can you imagine the deck for a Saturday noon game before a late afternoon/evening football game ?

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
I’ve said to finish this season in the fall. Move the Mlb draft to the winter and play a new season next spring

I think it could be wildly popular. Can you imagine the deck for a Saturday noon game before a late afternoon/evening football game ?

My plan is kinda built around no draft happening, which I still don’t think is likely.

I like your idea too, between the two of us we might be able to come up with something. 😛

We cannot let Corbin win, Cafego would never forgive us.

We would bring back former MLB and college coaches.

For the SEC East squad I nominate Pete Rose!!!

😜

I love the fall idea. If not I think you will have to give everybody an extra year. But the NCAA does not make rational decisions most of the time. I do not think it would stress arms as some have said. it would make coaches use a lot more arms which most major colleges have and the rest would still be on the same page.

Reactions: vol66

Great idea. With the NCAA prob won’t happen but at the very least they should allow a very extended fall. Let them play 10 games or so.

Reactions: vol66 and BruinVol
I am told this is somehow tied to the draft and would mean the draft is more likely to happen now

I will think most P5 conferences are against it. Then the question comes will they at least give anyone who wants it a redshirt year?

Because the year of relief may not require them to burn their redshirt year. As some have interpretted, it would allow them to keep their redshirt year for injury for later. So, the question I asked is would the player have a choice to use their redshirt year because they did not play in enough games if they only played a few of the games. Everybody getting an extra year and the redshirt choice is not the same thing. I do not think.

Because the year of relief may not require them to burn their redshirt year. As some have interpretted, it would allow them to keep their redshirt year for injury for later. So, the question I asked is would the player have a choice to use their redshirt year because they did not play in enough games if they only played a few of the games. Everybody getting an extra year and the redshirt choice is not the same thing. I do not think.

If the NCAA determines “giving this year back” causes to many problems mainly because of a log jam on roster sizes then allowing a redshirt wouldn’t stop that much at all. Not many player RS in baseball anyway so it’s really no different other than a select few

And not to open up my usual can of worms but the ones they already RS are many times just “roster casualties”anyway. Players that stay at school Without making it the 35

So if a player plays 5 games or less this spring, they can still individually apply for a redshirt waiver due to natural disaster or calamity. That is all except 4 pitchers and a few fielders that did not play an inning. I think it would be the entire freshman class except Gilbert and all pitchers except Pleasants, Hunley, Walsh, and Davidson. Do you think they will say no to all of these and I bet it will be the same on most D1 rosters except a few freshmen and a few pitchers?

So if a player plays 5 games or less this spring, they can still individually apply for a redshirt waiver due to natural disaster or calamity. That is all except 4 pitchers and a few fielders that did not play an inning. I think it would be the entire freshman class except Gilbert and all pitchers except Pleasants, Hunley, Walsh, and Davidson. Do you think they will say no to all of these and I bet it will be the same on most D1 rosters except a few freshmen and a few pitchers?

Now that’s a good question.

Imo they have no choice but to honor existing rules if that is indeed a rule. I’m
Not aware of that one but I am sure you are correct

Quoting from another source who cited NCAA rule book so I apologize if it is wrong. Cannot find NCAA rule book.
General Redshirt Rules

Players must abstain completely from competition to preserve a season of eligibility during a redshirt year. Players who appear in even one inning of one baseball game will lose a season of eligibility, unless they later gain a hardship waiver for injury, illness, family crisis, natural disaster or other calamity. Players in redshirt years are bound by all NCAA rules, including those regulations designed to ensure academic progress toward graduation.

Counting Against the Roster

Division I baseball teams are allowed to give at least some athletic scholarship money to up to 27 players, who are called "counters" in college athletics. These teams are allowed to have 35 players on the roster. Redshirt players receiving any level of athletic scholarship count against both numbers.

Hardship Waiver

Players who suffer a season-ending injury or illness during the first half of the spring season may be eligible for a hardship waiver if they haven't played in more than 30 percent of their team's games. Playing time missed during fall baseball does not factor into the hardship calculations. Each player must apply to the NCAA for a hardship waiver and document his case. If the NCAA grants the waiver, that player will receive a do-over for that season -- effectively creating a "medical redshirt" year.

Looked at several in SEC. Vandy only has 15 players that would not be eligible for Redshirt.
Why would a player not apply for this even if they do not intend to use it? It is just good common sense in case you need it later. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. As I understand it, you have to apply after season, can't go back later and apply.
Beck would have played also in more than 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol66 and BruinVol
Quoting from another source who cited NCAA rule book so I apologize if it is wrong. Cannot find NCAA rule book.
General Redshirt Rules

Players must abstain completely from competition to preserve a season of eligibility during a redshirt year. Players who appear in even one inning of one baseball game will lose a season of eligibility, unless they later gain a hardship waiver for injury, illness, family crisis, natural disaster or other calamity. Players in redshirt years are bound by all NCAA rules, including those regulations designed to ensure academic progress toward graduation.

Counting Against the Roster

Division I baseball teams are allowed to give at least some athletic scholarship money to up to 27 players, who are called "counters" in college athletics. These teams are allowed to have 35 players on the roster. Redshirt players receiving any level of athletic scholarship count against both numbers.

Hardship Waiver

Players who suffer a season-ending injury or illness during the first half of the spring season may be eligible for a hardship waiver if they haven't played in more than 30 percent of their team's games. Playing time missed during fall baseball does not factor into the hardship calculations. Each player must apply to the NCAA for a hardship waiver and document his case. If the NCAA grants the waiver, that player will receive a do-over for that season -- effectively creating a "medical redshirt" year.

Looked at several in SEC. Vandy only has 15 players that would not be eligible for Redshirt.
Why would a player not apply for this even if they do not intend to use it? It is just good common sense in case you need it later. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. As I understand it, you have to apply after season, can't go back later and apply.
Beck would have played also in more than 5.

Yea that’s the normal medical/hardship waiver rule. You are right those things should cover BUT it’s based on a full season and % of games.
Maybe The NCAA would say if a player played more than 30% of the games actually played that might cut that waiver out but who knows

VN Store

Back