Corey andersons dropped pass

#2

Low Country Vol

Old School Vol
Joined
Aug 22, 2005
Messages
1,642
Likes
1
#2
dropped 2 against UAB and that huge one last night. Luckily we won both of those games. However, if it continues it will be a liability. Inexcusiable considering how we heard coming into the season he was a reliable reciever out of the backfield.
 
#3
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
79
Likes
0
#3
And CPF stating in the tennessean that he made a mistake about the QB situation...I want to see him shuffle some more personnel around like FB and players on special teams. Ja'kori Williams made huge plays on special teams...ALL that freakin talent wasted...We play not to lose instead of playing to win..sickning!!!!
 
#4
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
11,156
Likes
0
#4
it doesnt matter who is playing, someone wont be happy about the decision. we cant shuffle personnel around every other play or no one will get in synch and we'll play like crap. some players should get a chance, i agree.
 
#5

WA_Vol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
18,667
Likes
6
#5
Originally posted by Holbert1@Sep 27, 2005 4:44 PM
All I know is Holbert #30 would have caught that pass...
[snapback]153396[/snapback]​


The sad thing is, this guy is a converted tight end who was suppose to have good hands.....
 
#8

7IlikeOrange7

Gr8 2 B A TENNESSEE VOL
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
1,564
Likes
7
#8
Originally posted by Holbert1@Sep 27, 2005 4:00 PM
And CPF stating in the tennessean that he made a mistake about the QB situation...I want to see him shuffle some more personnel around like FB and players on special teams. Ja'kori Williams made huge plays on special teams...ALL that freakin talent wasted...We play not to lose instead of playing to win..sickning!!!!
[snapback]153411[/snapback]​

if you are tryin to say holbert is better than anderson you are hole heartedly mistaken!! Nothing against holbert but he doesnt compare to anderson! sorry its just the way it is!
 
#9

volbrian

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
1,196
Likes
0
#9
In a situation like Anderson drop, I figure out the assets of the palyer and the liabilities. Anderson brings a whole lot of the offense and dropping a pass can be overlooked.

Show me a skill player anywhere that hasnt dropped a for sure pass somewhere.
 
#11

7IlikeOrange7

Gr8 2 B A TENNESSEE VOL
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
1,564
Likes
7
#11
Originally posted by bleedingorange@Sep 27, 2005 7:08 PM
Yeah we are loaded with pass droppers
[snapback]153578[/snapback]​

well throw it to fayton.. he's the man!!! no drops last night and yes he had one against UAB but.... who cares last night he was the best and he will be the best this year!!!
 
#12
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
79
Likes
0
#12
Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7@Sep 27, 2005 7:02 PM
if you are tryin to say holbert is better than anderson you are hole heartedly mistaken!! Nothing against holbert but he doesnt compare to anderson! sorry its just the way it is!
[snapback]153571[/snapback]​


BS my man, you'll see...
I'm being biased but watch, he'll have a better career than CA
And all I'm saying is that he should get a breather here and there, maybe he was tired before attempting to catch that pass.
 
#13

volbrian

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
1,196
Likes
0
#13
Originally posted by Holbert1@Sep 28, 2005 1:38 AM
maybe he was tired before attempting to catch that pass.
[snapback]153902[/snapback]​


Hmmm. A player too tired to catch a wide open pass for a clear TD run? I dont think so.

He was just guilty of being too wide open. He saw the endzone before he saw the ball into his hands.
 
#14

GvHm6

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2005
Messages
105
Likes
0
#14
At the time, I said to my wife, 'We need the touchdown, but this is too early. If we score now they get the ball back with 3 and a half minutes left and only 4 points behind. We need to score slowly."

The FG to tie was not what I had in mind and I was pacing the floor as they lined it up. OT worked out just fine though.
 
#15

therickbol

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
7,378
Likes
2,897
#15
I am glad you believe in Holbert. But, you are wrong about the fact that he is better than Anderson right now. In fact, you are so wrong that Anderson is going to be a high NFL draft pick after this season. Dude, he is a 270 pound mountain that blocks like an OL, but runs and cathes like a TE.
 
#16

WA_Vol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
18,667
Likes
6
#16
Originally posted by therickbol@Sep 28, 2005 2:27 PM
I am glad you believe in Holbert. But, you are wrong about the fact that he is better than Anderson right now. In fact, you are so wrong that Anderson is going to be a high NFL draft pick after this season. Dude, he is a 270 pound mountain that blocks like an OL, but runs and cathes like a TE.
[snapback]154088[/snapback]​


IMO he drops almost as many as he catches. And his blocking isnt anything to be bragging about it.

IMO take him out and play the tight end instead and give riggs the freedom to run where he can instead of running behind his lead blocker who usually doesnt get a good block.
 
#17

OWB

Never
Staff member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
47,162
Likes
827
#17
Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 28, 2005 2:29 PM
IMO he drops almost as many as he catches. And his blocking isnt anything to be bragging about it. 

IMO take him out and play the tight end instead and give riggs the freedom to run where he can instead of running behind his lead blocker who usually doesnt get a good block.
[snapback]154092[/snapback]​

I totally disagree with that. Anderson made some good blocks in the LSU game.
 
#18

therickbol

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
7,378
Likes
2,897
#18
Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 28, 2005 1:29 PM
IMO he drops almost as many as he catches. And his blocking isnt anything to be bragging about it. 

IMO take him out and play the tight end instead and give riggs the freedom to run where he can instead of running behind his lead blocker who usually doesnt get a good block.
[snapback]154092[/snapback]​


Well, I don't know how you formulated that opinion. But, its not correct. Ask Riggs about his blocking. He'll tell you its great.
 
#19
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
15,750
Likes
14
#19
Originally posted by GvHm6@Sep 28, 2005 2:22 PM
At the time, I said to my wife, 'We need the touchdown, but this is too early. If we score now they get the ball back with 3 and a half minutes left and only 4 points behind. We need to score slowly."

The FG to tie was not what I had in mind and I was pacing the floor as they lined it up. OT worked out just fine though.
[snapback]154083[/snapback]​


I agreed with that until I remembered that our D had only given up 52 yds in the entire 2nd half! Corey should have caught that one and scored.
 
#21

WA_Vol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
18,667
Likes
6
#21
Originally posted by therickbol@Sep 28, 2005 3:41 PM
I saw Jerry Rice drop a pass one time. Man, he should have been cut by the 49ers! Geez, he dropped one pass. Don't be ridiculous.
[snapback]154137[/snapback]​



What percentage of passes has jerry rice dropped in his career?
Maybe 1%?

How many passes has our fullback dropped in his career?
Maybe 50%?

Lets compare apples to apples here.
 
#22

WA_Vol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
18,667
Likes
6
#22
Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Sep 28, 2005 2:54 PM
I totally disagree with that.  Anderson made some good blocks in the LSU game.
[snapback]154110[/snapback]​


If he was blocking so well for Riggs that game, then why was Riggs running numbers not any better?

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Gerald Riggs Jr. 24 97 8 89 2 22 3.7

3.7 yard per a carry is pretty low for Riggs. Especially when you consider them without the 22 yard gain he had.
I think Riggs ran the ball better when the halfback was out of the game and the tight end came in.
It gives Riggs a chance to run where he finds room, instead of having to follow the lead blocker who may or may not get the get a good lead in.
and yeah I know the offensive line has to block well too, but UT hasnt had a really good lead blocking fullback since s. bryson graduated. Cory Fleming was an ok blocker not great.
 
#23

OWB

Never
Staff member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
47,162
Likes
827
#23
Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 28, 2005 5:18 PM
What percentage of passes has jerry rice dropped in his career?
Maybe 1%?

How many passes has our fullback dropped in his career?
Maybe 50%?

Lets compare apples to apples here.
[snapback]154176[/snapback]​

You must mean apples to oranges if you are comparing Anderson and Rice.
 
#24

volbrian

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
1,196
Likes
0
#24
Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Sep 28, 2005 9:18 PM
You must mean apples to oranges if you are comparing Anderson and Rice.
[snapback]154212[/snapback]​


I agree. I mean how many hole clearing blocks has Rice performed in his career?
 
#25

OWB

Never
Staff member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
47,162
Likes
827
#25
Originally posted by oklavol@Sep 28, 2005 5:26 PM
If he was blocking so well for Riggs that game, then why was Riggs running numbers not any better?

Rushing              No Gain Loss  Net TD Lg  Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Gerald Riggs Jr.    24  97    8  89  2 22  3.7

3.7 yard per a carry is pretty low for Riggs.  Especially when you consider them without the 22 yard gain he had.
I think Riggs ran the ball better when the halfback was out of the game and the tight end came in. 
It gives Riggs a chance to run where he finds room, instead of having to follow the lead blocker who may or may not get the get a good lead in.
and yeah I know the offensive line has to block well too, but UT hasnt had a really good lead blocking fullback since s. bryson graduated.  Cory Fleming was an ok blocker not great.
[snapback]154179[/snapback]​

First of all, Riggs doesn't have to follow Anderson all the time if he sees something else. He almost got 100 yards on LSU's GOOD Dline. Not to mention he was on fire in OT. I don't care if he just got 10 yards as long as he scores that last TD like he did. 5 of 6 of our OT plays went to Riggs and he delivered.

Second and probably the biggest reason he didn't get more is because of this stat.... UT rushing attempts....34 UT passing attempts....51. It's really hard to run the ball when you are trying to make up 17 points in the 4th quarter. Plus Riggs only got 24 of those carries.

If we would have played in the first half like we did the second, Riggs would have had better numbers. No reason to blame Anderson. He is a defensive end turned fullback. That dropped pass was bad, but we shouldn't be shocked. Like I said, I also saw him make some key blocks in that game.
 

VN Store



Sponsors
 

Top