3. Ok
4. Fla
5. Texas
6. A & M
7. LSU
8. Tn
9. Aub
10. Ark

7) Tennessee (24-29 record): Tennessee has been wandering in the wilderness for more than a decade now, going from failed coaching hire to failed coaching hire trying to recapture the magic of the 1990s. There is terrific fan support here and you can recruit the talent needed to win big, but the school hasn’t been able to attract top-tier talent to this job in recent hires, which shows how this job’s reputation has slipped.

Raise your hand if you really feel you can mount an argument against the above analogy.

Was gonna ask what makes one better than the other? I mean someone says A&M is a better job than Tennessee. Why?

It’s fluid. One huge aspect is the AD and support personnel…which these rankings never account for. Because the people who make them don’t have a clue about that stuff.

Reactions: Behr
It’s fluid. One huge aspect is the AD and support personnel…which these rankings never account for. Because the people who make them don’t have a clue about that stuff.
I agree it's fluid. Even if I wasn't a Tennessee fan I'd think right now Tennessee is a better job than LSU or A&M.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I agree it's fluid. Even if I wasn't a Tennessee fan I'd think right now Tennessee is a better job than LSU or A&M.

For one thing, the factors they use are arbitrary. When you see these rankings, you often see Tennessee get dinged for "lack of instate talent."

A) Instate talent isn't what matters, proximate talent is. Kids cross state lines to go to school. All the time. It barely matters. Tennessee is situated very nicely with tons of talent within a 3-4 hour radius. Tennessee has never had trouble acquiring talent. It's had guys who couldn't coach it.
B) Funny, Michigan, Penn State, and Oklahoma never get dinged for lack of instate talent, even though they have less than Tennessee. But, the rankers say, they're close to Ohio and Texas so they can dive into there for talent. But...what? Tennessee can...why does the same not apply....huh?
C) Alabama turns out a little more instate talent than Tennessee, but has to share some of it with Auburn, making it a wash. But these "rankers" never mention that as a factor.
D) Why would one think that the appeal of a job to one coach is the same to another? To Jim Harbaugh, Michigan is the best job in America. To Johnny Majors, Tennessee was the best job in America. He left a potential dynasty at Pitt for it.
E) Expectations can be a good or bad thing. When Saban retires, that job will be VERY difficult. In fact, no one will be able to live up to the expectations. But they'll rank Alabama as the/a top job. But why would a coach leave a good situation for a no-win situation? Unless he's a Bama man, like Dabo. Chris Peterson, for example, never wanted a high pressure job like Bama or Tennessee. Mark Few is the same in basketball....to him, Gonzaga is a better job than Kentucky.

There is no objective way to rank these jobs because different people have different wants.

I think TAMU is a better job than TN but I agree it’s better than AU.
Living in TX, The only reason I don’t think TAMU is a better job is because the Longhorns tend to take their thunder(with perception and recruiting) and a lot of Aggie fans and booster have a little brother complex to them. It’s weird, Texas a&m could be doing a lot better on the field than Texas yet the horns still get more love, it tends to put a lot more pressure on them.

People who never lived in Texas don’t realize 70% of the state hates the Aggies, makes fun of them and would rather play anywhere than College Station. The 30% that support A&M would literally die for it. No kidding.

Well, you know, Texas is a mess despite claims to the contrary. Just drive along I-40 from the west miles and miles before the poo and mud infested cattle lots and sniff the air. Or along I-20 approaching Abilene and get your nose assaulted with oil well stench. Beyond that, not many gals are as friendly as born and bred Texas ones. Real ones, not transplants. Ow! Now, Shirley, you know I was just mouth running on a football forum. Ow! Ow! Of course, they can't compare with a Kiowa cutie, you know that. OWOWOWOW! For real, Shir, for real! [whimpering]

My problem with this list is that it looks too much at current success. When Tennessee was riding high, and Alabama was wandering around lost, they likely would be in reverse positions.

Any of the following SEC jobs are elite jobs because of tradition and resources (and last season’s records don’t change that):
Alabama
UGA
Florida
LSU
Tennessee
Auburn
A&M

There are “challenges” at every one of them…with the biggest being expectations. Even so, a great coach could have tremendous success at any of these schools IMO.

I would think Georgia/LSU would be the best jobs. There’s no other major school to compete with and it’s loaded with high school talent.

A lot of Georgia's population is transplanted. They don't have the loyalty to the home school that one may expect. That's why the Atlanta area pro teams are plagued by poor attendance. That said, 62 percent of the state's population lives in the Atlanta metro area. So the talent is heavily concentrated in that small area.

Many teams recruit there and do well there. Georgia doesn't have the state on lockdown and frankly, there's enough prospects in the state to supply the entire roster for 6 to 8 teams with blue chips if they chose to go that route. Spread it out with 5 or 6 prospects and you may have 30 or 40 teams signing several good prospects from there each year.

Reactions: Volatility
Texas AM has most money, HUGE OIL BARONS, Absolutely best facilities and sits within 175 miles of endless D1 prospects, and an almost cultishly fanatic fanbase,,, Its a choice job
Actually, A&M is better than Alabama. Why? When Saban leaves, no one will be able to satisfy the fan base. A lot of Bama fans are already down on Saban after one loss this year. They will fall like they did after Bear retired. Saban's replacement will win 10 games for a couple of years then get a brick thrown thru his widow and he'll leave (a la Curry). Then, the next coach will do well, but it won't be good enough (see Stallings), then they'll make some desperate hires and fall further until the delusional fan base realizes there is not another Saban out there. History will repeat itself.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Living in TX, The only reason I don’t think TAMU is a better job is because the Longhorns tend to take their thunder(with perception and recruiting) and a lot of Aggie fans and booster have a little brother complex to them. It’s weird, Texas a&m could be doing a lot better on the field than Texas yet the horns still get more love, it tends to put a lot more pressure on them.
TAM money will trump TX with the NIL, administration and fan support. Way more money and corporate execs. More rabid fan base. That will make TAM the #1 powerhouse in the SEC. If you haven't been to A&M for a game, you need to go and plan to tour the campus on game day. It's a great experience--proud patriotism on exhibit. The fans are very polite but as enthusiastic as any. I have several Aggie friends and they are all great people. Never met an Aggie I didn't like.

A lot of Georgia's population is transplanted. They don't have the loyalty to the home school that one may expect. That's why the Atlanta area pro teams are plagued by poor attendance. That said, 62 percent of the state's population lives in the Atlanta metro area. So the talent is heavily concentrated in that small area.

Many teams recruit there and do well there. Georgia doesn't have the state on lockdown and frankly, there's enough prospects in the state to supply the entire roster for 6 to 8 teams with blue chips if they chose to go that route. Spread it out with 5 or 6 prospects and you may have 30 or 40 teams signing several good prospects from there each year.
You are speaking alot of truth but UGA only recruits the kids that they want in GA. I live in Warner Robins, GA and coached youth travel football here so I've seen a ton of talent up close. I saw Marquez Calloway in the 7th grade. Saw Jake Fromm & his twin Bros. My son is a freshman DB at the same high school that Calloway played at. They are a powerhouse from Middle GA. Ranked #1 5A team, ranked #2 overall on GSHA,nationally ranked, & currently working on their 5 straight state title game appearance. CJH understands this bc he is recruiting the area. We have a 5 star recruit that visited recently for class of 23 from Warner Robins High, he plays DE ( Vic Burley). I watch him practice everyday the kid is a monster. ATL has a ton of talent but GA has great talent all over the state. You can field a legit team without ever going to ATL. We've always went to ATL and won. I recently coached a QB that is currently 13 yrs old and he already has offers from UGA, Bama, & TAMU. My last yrs team had 40 players and 85% of those kids are potential power 5 prospects. Half of those kids play at WRHS. If I was CJH I would be all over that team starting with Burley then go after that freshman class.

Was gonna ask what makes one better than the other? I mean someone says A&M is a better job than Tennessee. Why?
For the next year or two, A&M is the only school in texas that can go to any recruit's house and say "if you're gonna stay home for school, wouldn't you want to spend your college career in the SEC?" it's easier than ever to go out of state for college, but it still matters to a lot of kids to stay home and be a hometown hero in some regard. A&M will always have that advantage because of where they are.

VN Store

Back