Connor O'Gara on Finebaum says

Image being AD DW for a second. He goes to meet coach “fill in the blank”.
DW: “Hey coach been watching your progress over the years. you’ve done a great job with the school building the program up from scratch. got your winning tradition and culture established there. How would you like to come to Knoxville where it’s been a total mess for years, there is no culture. we’re about to be put on probation for 2 to 3 years with reduced scholarships, no chance of bowl games, no championships and we are probably going to ruin your winning reputation but hey we will pay you lots of money”
doesn’t really sound like a very good thing to jump into.
Bonsai!!!!

And maybe it will be Steele as interim for a year and see who is available after this season and maybe know what the sanctions are going to be? At this point, I’m not betting against anything.

So you are willing to ruin the classes of 2022, 2023, and 2024....because this "temporary staff" will not be here and relationships with a new coaching staff will not exist. Recruits will not give a damn what those temp coaches have to sell. We will be playing catch up until 2024 in recruiting. With that mentality we will be looking at bottom tier last place SEC recruiting ranks. Finishing around 35ish for 2 or 3 years.
This is sensationalism

10-11 months delay isn’t significantly impacting 2023 and 2024. Certainly less than the benefit getting the best staff. It’s been awhile since we made a good hire, so I understand you’re not not familiar with how these things go. Unless we’re hiring someone not recruiting, the new staff will have worthy connections for 2022, 2023, 2024. It’s not uncommon to actually see an improvement in recruiting, although transition years are tough.

My home run candidates are worth 10-11 months. The question is, can Tennessee EVER land one. We may need to speculate regardless

Reactions: Sara Clark
Would also give someone like elliot on job training he wouldn't normally get however can recruit better than steele
I get what you're saying, I understand it. But what good will it do if we're in the same shape in 3 years? Pruitt started putting together a good recruiting class, but dang, he couldn't do anything with them. We need to stop hiring coordinators, we're a big school, wonderful facilities, great town...we can do better. As a fan, I hate it....but from a business perspective, this might be the best thing. From a fans perspective, it sucks, all of this!!

I don't know...think about it: What top tier coach is going to come in here with the NCAA breathing down our back, knowing we may have scholarship limitations, bowl game implications. It doesn't make us relevant any sooner, but maybe, assuming Steele doesn't get a three year contract, this might be the best scenario right now. I would rather, when the time comes, make a splash hire.
I know the argument is "our recruiting class". Well, if you can't do anything with 4-5 star recruits, their only as good as the paper those stars are written on. I hate every minute of it, I really do. And yes, to your comment, I think you're right, they brought him in, having a feeling they would have to go in this direction.
Kevin Steele is a fine man, a great coach and a brilliant tactician. Plus, he's a UT man. I'm well aware of his abysmal record as Baylor's head coach, but that was 20 years ago and past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance. If he winds up leading the team for a year or two, so be it. I'd rather have him here with Auburn still paying him than risk another Beldar. Plus, it would be a good audition for him.

I have my doubts that this report is true. Why would we bring in a homerun AD hire to tell us to stick with what we have? Pretty dangerous territory for someone just settling into the job.
Maybe DW realized he needed someone to get us thru the pain of the sanctions. Just guessing.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Kevin Steele is a fine man, a great coach and a brilliant tactician. Plus, he's a UT man. I'm well aware of his abysmal record as Baylor's head coach, but that was 20 years ago and past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance. If he winds up leading the team for a year or two, so be it. I'd rather have him here with Auburn still paying him than risk another Beldar. Plus, it would be a good audition for him.
I don't want Kevin Steele around for more than the 2021 season.

If that really happens, the press conference will be like trying to sell a poop sandwich to Gordon Ramsey.

Maybe DW realized he needed someone to get us thru the pain of the sanctions. Just guessing.

Bingo...it sounds like some of these coaches want to know what sanctions are headed UT's way before signing on. If there are major scholarship limits then it is going to be very painful.

Bingo...it sounds like some of these coaches want to know what sanctions are headed UT's way before signing on. If there are major scholarship limits then it is going to be very painful.
Money is one of the best painkillers

IF this happens surely we knew this was a very real possibility and actually we should be thankful we had KS to fall back on. After all, this may have been our best option all along (none I what I just stated declared whether I like KS as a coach, wanted him as our HC, or any other position I might have on KS being the head coach so don't assume either way).

Don’t believe it. Will have to wait and see.

Interim will only cost more money for staff and we will lose the bounty of recruits in Tennessee 2022

Reactions: Border Vol
I do not think they will go with Kevin Steele. They want a strong offensive mind...someone young who can relate with the players. Kevin Steele is a coordinator at best. If Kevin Steele has interim tag removed then you should really be concerned because that probably means that the Vols are in a bigger hole than fans even realize and it’ll take a LONG time to be even close to relevant again.

Don’t believe it. Will have to wait and see.

Interim will only cost more money for staff and we will lose the bounty of recruits in Tennessee 2022
Tennessee will probably have to eat a big sh*t sandwich courtesy of the NCAA.

Reactions: Spawn
If you hire Steele just to ride out the sanctions. It’s a five year rebuild. It’s the Ole Miss Luke/Kiffin blueprint. Surely even Fulmer could have pulled that off.

I’m not crazy about this option, but Steele is a Tennessee guy, good recruiter and has tons of connections. Maybe he’s a big picture guy and brings in a really good OC and DC, gets Rodney Garner back here and recruits well enough to be competitive and till we make our way out of any sanctions Personally, I would tell the NCAA we jumped on this, made the right decisions, fired those involved and exhibited institutional control. Then do what LSU did and tell them to go pound sand if they’re not gonna hang Bama first.

VN Store

Back