Connecticut

Uconn will probably start 2 freshmen (it looks like Makurat has taken the job from Irwin ) and a sophomore a junior and a senior. So that's no excuse. Even if Irwin starts, she will be limited to about 11 minutes with the freshman getting the rest. Also the first player off the bench is a freshman.

You can expect a high number of turnovers because of the difference in guard play. UConn will mostly play 4 guards and ONO while the LV's are 4 wings and Key. The problem for UConn is when your size dominates the boards. If you can make some 3's early it will be a problem for UConn.

UConn should have a slight edge at the 5. UConn will play pressure defense and a motion offense utilizing speed against size. If you do not dominate the offensive boards, the UConn transition may just break your back. If UConn's 3 point shooting follows the norm, you are going to be hard pressed to keep up.

I don't expect a slaughter something like 75-60 UConn.
Yes, 75-60 or 80-60 UConn is good guess if the Lady Vols don't come with their "A" game on offense and defense. If they do, then 75-69 Lady Vols.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Unfortunately, the game is being played in Hartford, at the Civic Center almost an hour from campus. The atmosphere is not nearly as entertaining with an older crowd and almost no students.

Joking aside, was that to allow for a bigger crowd?

Joking aside, was that to allow for a bigger crowd?

I'm pretty sure the only reason they play at the Hartford Civic Center is pressure from state government (in Hartford) and all the associated businesses. A bit of the ol' "you're our school so you do what we say or else." If Tennessee is playing Connecticut at Hartford, it's because people in Connecticut's government pressured the school to put it there.

Last edited:
Just noticed that attendance in Hartford was 12,415 for the much more important Baylor game. Seems odd that this game against Tennessee that nobody up there cares about has already outsold that game in which the #1 ranking was at stake. Hmmmm.

Just noticed that attendance in Hartford was 12,415 for the much more important Baylor game. Seems odd that this game against Tennessee that nobody up there cares about has already outsold that game in which the #1 ranking was at stake. Hmmmm.

People are buying tickets for the probable curb stomp that UConn is going to hand Tennessee. If it happens it will probably be turnovers, points off turnovers and overall guard play.

There's four possible lead paragraphs to the Lady Vols story in Friday's newspaper. With the up and down way both teams are playing this year, I don't think we can rule any of them out.

1. They're back! Coach Harper and the Lady Vols get the signature win they've been looking for, shocking the #3 team in the country on the Huskies home court.

2. They say that close only counts in horseshoes, but the Lady Vols effort on the home court of the #3 team in the country last night is an encouraging sign for Coach Harper's program, as they gave eleven-time national champion UConn all they could handle before coming up just short of what would have been a surprising and epic win.

3. ā€œWe're making strides, but we still have a ways to go.ā€ That was first-year coach Harper's assessment after last night's double digit loss to the #3 ranked UConn Huskies on their home court. Indeed, throughout the game there were long periods when the Lady Vols stood toe-to-toe with the eleven time national champions, but in the end there were too many times they couldn't maintain that effort or buckled under UConn's pressure.

4. Tennessee fans were reminded last night that while UConn may not be the overpowering juggernaut that they were for most of the last decade, they still are a force to be reckoned with as they handed the Lady Vols their worst loss since the Stanford game, and their worst defeat against the Huskies since their 23 point loss in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.

There's four possible lead paragraphs to the Lady Vols story in Friday's newspaper. With the up and down way both teams are playing this year, I don't think we can rule any of them out.

1. They're back! Coach Harper and the Lady Vols get the signature win they've been looking for, shocking the #3 team in the country on the Huskies home court.

2. They say that close only counts in horseshoes, but the Lady Vols effort on the home court of the #3 team in the country last night is an encouraging sign for Coach Harper's program, as they gave eleven-time national champion UConn all they could handle before coming up just short of what would have been a surprising and epic win.

3. ā€œWe're making strides, but we still have a ways to go.ā€ That was first-year coach Harper's assessment after last night's double digit loss to the #3 ranked UConn Huskies on their home court. Indeed, throughout the game there were long periods when the Lady Vols stood toe-to-toe with the eleven time national champions, but in the end there were too many times they couldn't maintain that effort or buckled under UConn's pressure.

4. Tennessee fans were reminded last night that while UConn may not be the overpowering juggernaut that they were for most of the last decade, they still are a force to be reckoned with as they handed the Lady Vols their worst loss since the Stanford game, and their worst defeat against the Huskies since their 23 point loss in the 2002 NCAA Tournament.
Good post!!

Why do you say no one cares about it?

Of course it's almost sold out.

Reactions: NeedOrange
I still want to know how much Geno paid to get the lawsuit with the female ref to go away.
I wonder if he still drunk yells at opposing coaches in restaurants? He should watch that with Coach Mulkey. I think she could take him.

Typical Adams.... Can always find ways to "down UT". He may be right, it did hurt Tennessee more than UC, but I think for Pat, it was more a principle than a personality conflict. I don't think the Pat I meet (only once seated at a luncheon) would "back down" from a personality difference. But I do think the negativity from the impact fallout of a principle would never "back her down".

I agree with a lot of Adams' columns, but this was stupid. Canceling the UConn series didn't hurt Tennessee. Pat's illness is what crippled Tennessee...

Oh, I doubt that. Having lurked -- and even posted -- on the Boneyard back in the day, I doubt very much that UConn fans just consider this just "another home and home series." After all those years of constant ... vitriol ... yeah, let's just call it vitriol, there's no way it's just another home-and-home series. Granted Tennessee is very much in uncharted territory in the many years since, and Connecticut hasn't felt threatened in a long time, but I don't think all those UConn posters I remember from way back have forgotten this rivalry for a second.
True enough, but they are all 13 years older, slower, mellower. There are some on the BY that will get hyped just like there are a few on here too. Good luck Thursday

So Fulmer came up 500 seats short of a total buyout?

Time to him to start a GoFundMe page to cover the remaining tickets.

Be nice hearing the Big Orange Ocean lustily roaring out a tidal wave of Rocky Top.
Don't remind me. That song rang in my ears for days the last time I went.

Unfortunately, the game is being played in Hartford, at the Civic Center almost an hour from campus. The atmosphere is not nearly as entertaining with an older crowd and almost no students.
It will be plenty entertaining with almost 16,000 fans there, older or not.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If it's not a slaughter, you should probably be concerned. Quite a few AP voters don't think Tennessee belongs in the Top 25 at all, and most of your fanbase appears to feel the same way. Connecticut has what ESPN analysts consider to be 3 of the top 25 players in the nation in Dangerfield, Walker and Nelson-Ododa. Tennessee had one on the list: Rennia Davis. It *should* be an easy win for CT.
It might be, but i just watched some real stinkers recently. So Davis comes out and makes 6/8 3's and liv gets 2 fouls in 4 minutes. If shoulds was woulds, I'd be rich

A near sellout (with only 500 tickets remaining, it could BE a sellout by Thursday) suggests that this may not be "just another home and home series like Cal or Dayton" to the fans, at least. Of course, Hartford may be a sellout for Cal and Dayton, too.... I don't know. But I kinda doubt it.

I'm getting the feeling that there's a whole lot of pretending that this game doesn't matter to anyone up there going on. 15,500-16,000 people don't waste time on something that doesn't matter at all. Tennesseans don't, anyway.
good point. Maybe I was trolling a bit. Perhaps a lot of folks are expecting the old battles. They might have heard the history but they don't feel it. Diana won't be there to give a pregame speech.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I still want to know how much Geno paid to get the lawsuit with the female ref to go away.
I wonder if he still drunk yells at opposing coaches in restaurants? He should watch that with Coach Mulkey. I think she could take him.

I think she could to šŸ˜‚

Seriously, though. Auriemma has probably been quietly preparing for Tennessee for weeks
That I can confirm. UConn has been preparing for Tennessee for weeks. I know because they do that for every team. At the beginning the 4 coaches divide up the season. Someone takes game one, someone takes game two etc. They continue in rotation and get whatever game falls in their sequence. The coaches go over the next game plan the day after a game and decide how to implement it. they also discuss every player's development and what they need to do to help each player improve game to game. They already have a partial game plan for Oregon and SCar and every team on their schedule.

I'm pretty sure the only reason they play at the Hartford Civic Center is pressure from state government (in Hartford) and all the associated businesses. A bit of the ol' "you're our school so you do what we say or else." If Tennessee is playing Connecticut at Hartford, it's because people in Connecticut's government pressured the school to put it there.
More seats, more money. Gampel only seats 10,000. Also games at the XL center qualify for home games so they have a seating capacity that makes the NCAA happy for first round tourney games.

I did see a link to the game ticket sales offering seats to the game for $5 (or online orders for $10 including processing and delivery fees).

If they'd throw in air fare, hotel, and pretzels, I'd pony up for two seats.

Reactions: Orange Maniac

VN Store

Back