Congrats Alexa Middleton

I’m sorry but I don’t think she was deserving of second team SEC. Her in conference numbers were abysmal. She shot 38% from the floor 15% from 3 and had a negative A/T ratio in conference. That spot should have gone to Kayla Wells or Evina Westbrook IMO. I believe Dawn would agree, she didn’t play well enough to earn an award. To me, she’s been a bust. She’s supposed to be a 5 star PG and she can barely pass the ball and can’t shoot the 3. Sorry but she’s a pass for me.
I think players like Cooper and Davis, only made the team because there were high pre-season expectations of them and they were SC/Tennessee players. If I'm being honest, neither (and probably others) had any business being ahead of Wells (and I'll Jordan Danberry and Jazzmun Holmes from MSST for good measure). I'm not sold on Westbrook deserving honors above a lot of other players, but think if a Tennessee player had to be selected it should have easily been Evina over Davis. Davis too often failed to show up for games.

Reactions: Silence Dogood
👍 glad to see her doing well she is averaging 16 points against Baylor this year...

Hate that she left TN but glad to see her doing well and happy.

Good luck against Baylor tomorrow

Keep in mind that when they have played Baylor they essentially opted not to guard her. They chose to expend their defensive energy in other ways and on other players. She had personal good scoring games in both of those games, but they still lost pretty handily by 15 and 13. And Baylor led the whole way, blew it open in the 3rd quarter and then played subs in the 4th quarter and Iowa State left starters in closing the gap a little. Kim Mulkey actually looks at the big picture unlike Holly.

Last edited:
I think players like Cooper and Davis, only made the team because there were high pre-season expectations of them and they were SC/Tennessee players. If I'm being honest, neither (and probably others) had any business being ahead of Wells (and I'll Jordan Danberry and Jazzmun Holmes from MSST for good measure). I'm not sold on Westbrook deserving honors above a lot of other players, but think if a Tennessee player had to be selected it should have easily been Evina over Davis. Davis too often failed to show up for games.

Davis deserved to be on there. She had a few tough games during the losing streak but she still scored well, commanded defensive attention from the opponent and she was the leading rebounder on the top rebounding team in the SEC. Her personal statistics also weren't bad like Cooper's are. Cooper is only there because they finished second in the SEC and she is theoretically their leading scorer. All season she declined though, at one point she was averaging like 17 a game and barely finished averaging double figures by the end of SEC play.

I'll just go total Grumpy Gus and say none of the three deserve All-SEC.

Anyone remember consistent players? Complete players who could shoot a bit and also manage to stay between the basket and the player they're assigned to guard? During the same game? Who might have a quiet scoring game once in a while but never a stretch of games so wretched, mental error filled, and detached that fans speculated you might transfer? Who could never reel off a string of 4 or 5 rapidfire unforced turnovers?

That's an All SEC player.

Keep in mind that when they have played Baylor they essentially opted not to guard her. She had personal good scoring games in both of those games, but they still lost pretty handily by 15 and 13. And Baylor led the whole way, blew it open in the 3rd quarter and then played subs in the 4th quarter and Iowa State left starters in closing the gap a little. Kim Mulkey actually looks at the big picture unlike Holly.
31490545-F266-477B-9C88-117CFE379EF4.jpegE6EBC5E4-F45D-4E4F-827D-4D7341E10ED4.jpeg

Anyone remember consistent players? Complete players who could shoot a bit and also manage to stay between the basket and the player they're assigned to guard? During the same game? Who might have a quiet scoring game once in a while but never a stretch of games so wretched, mental error filled, and detached that fans speculated you might transfer? Who could never reel off a string of 4 or 5 rapidfire unforced turnovers?

x1,000,000

Rennia has the talent, but I have a hard time seeing her as an All-SEC player because of the stretch of games where she was so disinterested and miserable, plus the fact that her numbers were fairly pedestrian this year for someone who was a preseason 1st team player and her team tanked from their preseason ranking to where they finished. They were picked to finish 1st in the SEC by some publications, and on paper had the best team coming into the season. Based on all this, there were other players who were more deserving given the fact that they were surrounded by a lot less talent but didn't only come to play when they felt like it.

x1,000,000

Rennia has the talent, but I have a hard time seeing her as an All-SEC player because of the stretch of games where she was so disinterested and miserable, plus the fact that her numbers were fairly pedestrian this year for someone who was a preseason 1st team player and her team tanked from their preseason ranking to where they finished. They were picked to finish 1st in the SEC by some publications, and on paper had the best team coming into the season. Based on all this, there were other players who were more deserving given the fact that they were surrounded by a lot less talent but didn't only come to play when they felt like it.
I've said often, they're the girl with the curl, especially when they're bad. It's not just whether their good games are good, but also how utterly hapless and mission harmful their bad stretches are. And the fact that they are bad stretches, not just bad moments. Way way too wild of a swing btw best play and worst play. Not near solid nor consistent, not reliable. Made especially frustrating by the fact that both (Davis and Westbrook) are so obviously physically capable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amb3096

So their starters actually played the majority of the game while their 4 all American players pretty much sat the pine in a blow out ?

This is not sarcastic or anything I’m just figuring out the min situation. The freshman really haven’t played as much as some had thought. They are def talented but even smith who had some big games has seen inconsistent playing time. Maybe injuries ? I dunno...

it is also
a well coached player
I won't be tough on these kids...until I see a coach that is tougher on these kids

So their starters actually played the majority of the game while their 4 all American players pretty much sat the pine in a blow out ?

This is not sarcastic or anything I’m just figuring out the min situation. The freshman really haven’t played as much as some had thought. They are def talented but even smith who had some big games has seen inconsistent playing time. Maybe injuries ? I dunno...

He/She was just pointing out to me that Kim didn't sub everyone out. She still subbed the last couple of minutes.

Kim rarely plays her freshman much, especially when she has so much upperclassman talent. Part of how she keeps are program in good shape. I've seen in interviews where she flat tells incoming players that they're going to sit a lot as freshman and if they can't deal with that they need to go somewhere else. A lot of times she wont play them at all in games they are up in against a bad team, but then the next game against a ranked opponent they'll play 12 or 15 minutes. Keeps them motivated to produce or they know they wont get another chance for a long time. Just last night she put in a bunch of young players and instead of extending the lead they were giving up layups. She pulled them all and put her starters back in. Said in post game that they weren't extending the lead so she took them out, that she expects the same of them as she does her starters.

it is also
a well coached player
I won't be tough on these kids...until I see a coach that is tougher on these kids
It depends on what you mean by "tougher". Are we back to implying the players are willfully bad and some good ole cracking down and punishment will fix what ails us? I just don't believe that.

Smarter, not tougher IMO is what LV teams need. Better prepared and equipped in all areas; physically, with x and o strategy, and lord knows most importantly with the mental intangibles of focus, concentration and confidence that the current staff is so woefully bad at supplying.

Reactions: lvocd
It depends on what you mean by "tougher". Are we back to implying the players are willfully bad and some good ole cracking down and punishment will fix what ails us? I just don't believe that.

Smarter, not tougher IMO is what LV teams need. Better prepared and equipped in all areas; physically, with x and o strategy, and lord knows most importantly with the mental intangibles of focus, concentration and confidence that the current staff is so woefully bad at supplying.

Tough may not be the word:
I would not accept half effort that miraculously turns into supergirl from Ren
Meme would never be the last one down the court for me
C Green would develop soft hands under me
etc....

Tough is not meanness..
it is being a coach who will not accept less than they are capable of and would sit them and play those who would give a coach what they need to win...
A coach who would call a timeout and YES get tough on the one's that needed to hear the Gospel...
A coach they cannot impress....
A coach who makes efforts to change game strategies
tough is to accept nothing less than what you are capable of
tough is to risk a Technical to crawl a ref for calling a pitiful game
tough is to take a tech to wake up your team
tough is to talk to your player like they need to be talked to when they screw up
Tough is more than just being a bully

Tough is doing this in a whisper
As I tell my players on day one,,,"I will not yell and rant and rave,, because you will just ignore a louder version of what I say"

Tough is expecting-expectations and getting them!

Let's separate myth from reality. As a freshman, Alexa's game needed a lot of development. She was recruited as a zone busting guard but she shot the ball very poorly and her defense was very suspect. She did work hard and would periodically make a play, where you would go "I did not know she had that in her".

She got better during her sophomore year and had her best LV season as a junior: that season, she shot close to 40% from behind the arc; had several big offensive games, and became a very solid defender. She was poised to be a major contributor before she transferred.

Regardless of the reason for her departure, the argument that she was dying on the vine as a LV and then suddenly blossomed when she went to Iowa St is just not true. Her stat line for this season' is fairly comparable to her junior year as a LV:
Middleton_LV
Great take!

Reactions: madtownvol
Alexa has 15 points against the #1 team in the country, and the game is still in the 3rd quarter.

Evidently, she's able to score against some pretty decent starters.

Update: 18 points at end of 3rd. Almost hit mid-court shot as time expired.

Score is 48-44 as 4th begins.

Last edited:
Alexa looks like the perfect PG needed for this Lady Vol team! I don’t get why Holly just did not think she looked like a starter for the Lady Vols!

Reactions: lvocd
Come on, Iowa State! Regroup and then get back in this thing!

I heart Middleton!

First time I've seen AM since she left, honestly didn't think much of her skills when she was here. Wow what a different player. I mean like, actually developed and improved and stuff. In exactly the areas so lacking in this program - she looks totally dialed in and confident. Very mature. Coincidence?

Baylor pulling away now but IState is scrappy as hell. Maybe I'll watch more of the tourney than I thought because its been very nice and restorative to see good teams in a good quality game. Been a minute.

Reactions: SandyO
Congrats to Alexa Middleton, they played Baylor well until the 4th quarter falling 67 to 49. I am glad that she had a chance to show what she is capable of. Iowa State is not worried about going to the NCAA tournament. Just think, Iowa State did it with one 5 Star, yes you guessed it, Alexa Middleton. Good coaches can coach lesser talent to reach their potential and leave it all on the floor. Alexa also made the all tournament team. Congratulations Alexa!!!!

Reactions: SandyO
Congrats to Alexa Middleton, they played Baylor well until the 4th quarter falling 67 to 49. I am glad that she had a chance to show what she is capable of. Iowa State is not worried about going to the NCAA tournament. Just think, Iowa State did it with one 5 Star, yes you guessed it, Alexa Middleton. Good coaches can coach lesser talent to reach their potential and leave it all on the floor. Alexa also made the all tournament team. Congratulations Alexa!!!!
The best player on ISU is the guard from Canada. She is the straw that stirs the drink. In the end the Lady Vols played Baylor closer than Iowa State.

Fennely's ISU' offense is built differently than Warlick's (!!!) and is ideal for Alexa's skill set. It's designed for kick-out threes; ironically, Baylor did a great job of shutting down the 3's but gave up lots of paint points and mid-range jumpers. Fenelly had a great game plan, but ultimately Baylor's bigs were just too much for ISU to handle, and tbey broke the game open in tbe 4th quarter. It was a dogfight until late.

Alexa put the year off to good use, it seems. If her parents hadn't convinced her to stay at UT her junior year, she may have improved even more and become an elite point guard. As it is, she became a crucial part of ISU's success rather than an afterthought at UT.

Props to her for finding a team where she fit and was happy. Her situation was totally different from the UT starting PG who bolted to Maryland in midseason when we were undefeated and ranked #1. That unexpected move may have cost us a 9th championship.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Fennely's ISU' offense is built differently than Warlick's (!!!) and is ideal for Alexa's skill set. It's designed for kick-out threes; ironically, Baylor did a great job of shutting down the 3's but gave up lots of paint points and mid-range jumpers. Fenelly had a great game plan, but ultimately Baylor's bigs were just too much for ISU to handle, and tbey broke the game open in tbe 4th quarter. It was a dogfight until late.

Alexa put the year off to good use, it seems. If her parents hadn't convinced her to stay at UT her junior year, she may have improved even more and become an elite point guard. As it is, she became a crucial part of ISU's success rather than an afterthought at UT.

Props to her for finding a team where she fit and was happy. Her situation was totally different from the UT starting PG who bolted to Maryland in midseason when we were undefeated and ranked #1. That unexpected move may have cost us a 9th championship.

Does Holly really have an offensive scheme, except don’t dribble drive, throw the ball around, make multiple turnovers, throw it inside and throw up a brick.

VN Store

Back