Congrats Alexa Middleton

There is no comparison between the Alexa at tenn and the one at Iowa state. She just scored 16 points in the first half of a conference semi-final game. In her “comparable” junior year at tenn, she didn’t play past a second round in either the SEC tourney or the NCAA. She wasn’t even in games at crunch time. This is what a player can do when coached and valued!

Seriously. Her on court swag is something I never saw at Tennessee. The coaching staff never figured out what to do with her. Here she is vs. Texas with 24 points (4 triples) and 6 assists en route to a likely win for Iowa State.

I always liked to laugh at posters here who said Alexa should go to a D2 school because she wasn't good enough or athletic enough to play D1 ball. Yet she's the starting PG for a top 20 team while Tennessee is praying for no mid major upsets so they can just make the tournament.

Wasn't sure if anyone noticed or keeps up w/ former TN players but Alexa Middleton (Iowa State) got B12 Honorable Mention. She contributed in all games played this year and seemed to have really taken advantage of the opportunity there: Alexa Middleton - Women's Basketball - Iowa State University Athletics
Alexa had a Huge Game against the win today against Texas semi final. Off to Big 12 final tomorrow on Fox Sports 1. So glad she transfered. Holly did not know how to coach her.

Alexa had a Huge Game against the win today against Texas semi final. Off to Big 12 final tomorrow on Fox Sports 1. So glad she transfered. Holly did not know how to coach her.

👍 glad to see her doing well she is averaging 16 points against Baylor this year...

Hate that she left TN but glad to see her doing well and happy.

Good luck against Baylor tomorrow

Reactions: T.J.
Yes, it does. Many people (myself included) on here and elsewhere said while she was here that Alexa was getting rooked out of her career here by having a coach that didn’t know what to do with her.

Instead, we lost a basketball-loving young woman, born and raised in Tennessee and born to become a Lady Vol, to the state of Iowa.
Yes, indeed.

👍 glad to see her doing well she is averaging 16 points against Baylor this year...

Hate that she left TN but glad to see her doing well and happy.

Good luck against Baylor tomorrow
Same. I want my Lady Vols back. Holly literally has destroyed the aura of the program. And she broke my LV spirit. #FireHollyWarlick

Reactions: mcannon1
Let's separate myth from reality. As a freshman, Alexa's game needed a lot of development. She was recruited as a zone busting guard but she shot the ball very poorly and her defense was very suspect. She did work hard and would periodically make a play, where you would go "I did not know she had that in her".

She got better during her sophomore year and had her best LV season as a junior: that season, she shot close to 40% from behind the arc; had several big offensive games, and became a very solid defender. She was poised to be a major contributor before she transferred.

Regardless of the reason for her departure, the argument that she was dying on the vine as a LV and then suddenly blossomed when she went to Iowa St is just not true. Her stat line for this is fairly comparable to her junior year as a LV:
Middleton_LV
No! Holly is the reason why Alexa didn't have success at Tennessee.

Reactions: olddog
Well, she’s 4-4 from the floor right now in her conference’s semi-final game while the girls that “beat her out” at Tennessee are sitting home watching.
Why did they play over her?

No! Holly is the reason why Alexa didn't have success at Tennessee.

No matter how much animosity you have for Holly, the numbers don't lie.

Alexa's stats were getting better every year:

Middetons LV stats

She was on pace to be a major contributor at shooting guard as a senior

If her goal was to play PG, however, the arrival of Westbrook and Hayes would have been a problem.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
There is no comparison between the Alexa at tenn and the one at Iowa state. She just scored 16 points in the first half of a conference semi-final game. In her “comparable” junior year at tenn, she didn’t play past a second round in either the SEC tourney or the NCAA. She wasn’t even in games at crunch time. This is what a player can do when coached and valued!

the question is not whether she played on a more successful team this season but whether her own performances were comparable. She put up some big numbers is several games during her junior year as a LV. Just check her stat line.

To be clear, I am not insulting Middleton. She was developing into a quality player at UT and continued at Iowa St.

the issue with the LVs has never been developing individual players but having all those individuals play as a cohesive unit.

PS. In Middleton's freshman year, the LVs were SEC co-champs and made it to the elite 8.

Her sophomore year, the LVs also made it to the elite 8 (and the SEC conference semifinal)

Her junior there was a drop-off (with early round losses in the SEC and NCAA).

But again, the idea that AM never experienced any team success while a LV simply does not match the facts.

This conversation is a strange one.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
If she wanted to make a real statement she should have given a shout out to TN fans. We aren’t the problem, Holley is the problem.

This was her night, has any of Tennessee past incoming transfers (not Grad- transfers) that graduated thanked their previous schools on Senior Night. HW, I can no longer call her a coach, should've fought like hell to kept her here.

Reactions: T.J.
Just glad Alexa found a program where she could thrive and have fun rather than end her career mired on the bench during the most miserable TN year ever. She was playing behind Cooper and Hayes, who have also departed for other reasons.

Ironically, Warlick's record with point guard recruits isn't looking too great. That should be her strong suit.

the question is not whether she played on a more successful team this season but whether her own performances were comparable. She put up some big numbers is several games during her junior year as a LV. Just check her stat line.

To be clear, I am not insulting Middleton. She was developing into a quality player at UT and continued at Iowa St.

the issue with the LVs has never been developing individual players but having all those individuals play as a cohesive unit.

PS. In Middleton's freshman year, the LVs were SEC co-champs and made it to the elite 8.

Her sophomore year, the LVs also made it to the elite 8 (and the SEC conference semifinal)

Her junior there was a drop-off (with early round losses in the SEC and NCAA).

But again, the idea that AM never experienced any team success while a LV simply does not match the facts.

This conversation is a strange one.[/QUOTE
This conversation is beyond strange because you’re trying to defend a program that’s off the rails. You’re the one who said AM’s junior stats at tenn were comparable. I just pointed out how badly the team fared her junior year.

I am not defending the program at all. I was pointing out the fact that Alexa was not "dying on the vine" until she went to Iowa State. She was getting better as a player over her 3 years as a LV, as evidenced by her stat line and her improvement curve was also obvious from watching her play.

Similarly, just about every knowledgeable observer agrees that Cheridene Green and Evina Westbrook are playing at a higher level than last year but they also recognizes that this has been the worst season in LV history. Individual players improvement and the state of the program can trend in different directions.

Did I ever say that "this improvement was a sign that the LV's program is going great!" Nope. Much of it may be due to the players own work ethic.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
She had a great game against Baylor yesterday, but as others have pointed out. She’s another High School AA that ended up being average at best, at two different schools.

She has played better since being at Iowa State, but not to any great extent, really just more playing time. She’s still walking proof that high school awards mean next to nothing. Made HM Big-12 with another big bust, Joyner Holmes.

Whereas someone like Megan Gustafson who was ranked 80th in the 2015 class, received no national Prep awards and was only the 12th overall post player. Now leads the country in scoring and averages a double double.

Alexa wasn’t UTs problem, but she certainly wasn’t the answer either.

Last edited:
I am not defending the program at all. I was pointing out facts that Alexa was not "dying on the vine" until she went to Iowa State. She was getting better as a player over her 3 years. Those are simple objective numbers that are apparent from her stat line. and it was also obvious from watching her play.

Similarly, just about every knowledgeable agrees that Cheridene Green and Evina Westbrook are playing at a higher level than last year but also recognizes that this has been the worst season in LV history. Individual players improvement and the state of the program can trend in different directions.

Did I ever say that this improvement was a sign that the LV's programis going great! Much of it may be due to the players own work ethic.

You’re hitting the nail on the head. Mike Neighbors talked a lot in his SEC interviews this week about how he has great individual athletes, but it hasn't been easy getting them to play together. Everyone is used to being the star and that creates a lot of big personalities. Sounds like he got real with them and figured out a way for them to accept that they don’t have to be best friends, but they have to learn to play together and ultilize their talents. All for the greater good.

Holly has not been able to unify her athletes she has maybe 3 women on her team right now that could be national POY candidates under the right coach. She can’t get them all on the same page though, and she’s been given plenty of time.

I remember specifically that Candace Parker and Nikki Anosike could not stand each other when they came in as Freshman. Pat forced them to play 1-1 because she knew Nikki would beat Candace on defense alone. Nikki did and they realized that if they play together they’re a lot better than if they fight with each other. Doesn’t mean they were ever best friends, but they sorted out a relationship that worked for them and won two national titles.

Just glad Alexa found a program where she could thrive and have fun rather than end her career mired on the bench during the most miserable TN year ever. She was playing behind Cooper and Hayes, who have also departed for other reasons.

Ironically, Warlick's record with point guard recruits isn't looking too great. That should be her strong suit.

I agree. Copper has basically been a bust at SC this season too. And she had an entire year off to work on her game, get in better shape and learn from Dawn Staley. She still leads them in scoring, but mostly because they don’t have a domiant player and she scored well in non-conference when they were losing. She’s been a complete no-show later in this season. I know she had an ankle injury, but she hasn’t looked mentally engaged either.

She was a total no-show in their loss to Arkansas. Came in the game and jacked up 3 quick 3 point bricks and made a circus shot layup. That was it. Played no defense and Dawn sat her back down.

She shoots 26% from 3 barely 40% from the floor and has a 0 A/T ratio. We know Dawn can coach and has sat her a lot this season. Looks more and more like she just doesn’t have it.

Maybe Holly just doesn’t have the BS meter necessary to spot true talent.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, Holly has recruited some outstanding talent as well as some recruits who may have been overrated, Holly’s problem is figuring out how to get the best out of her recruits and getting them to play together as a unit. It seems as though she recruits 5 stars in hopes that they will come in college ready, when the truth is, even great athletics need to be coached and motivated.

I agree. Copper has basically been a bust at SC this season too. And she had an entire year off to work on her game, get in better shape and learn from Dawn Staley. She still leads them in scoring, but mostly because they don’t have a domiant player and she scored well in non-conference when they were losing. She’s been a complete no-show later in this season. I know she had an ankle injury, but she hasn’t looked mentally engaged either.

She was a total no-show in their loss to Arkansas. Came in the game and jacked up 3 quick 3 point bricks and made a circus shot layup. That was it. Played no defense and Dawn sat her back down.

She shoots 26% from 3 barely 40% from the floor and has a 0 A/T ratio. We know Dawn can coach and has sat her a lot this season. Looks more and more like she just doesn’t have it.
Not my first pick, but I wouldn't exactly call her a bust. Wasn't she 2nd team All SEC? She also showed what she's capable of against MSST #1. She was unstoppable for most of the game until MSST's lead started to swell. Dawn had resigned herself to the fact that Te'a was only going to play 1 year for SC. Surely Te'a isn't foolish enough to think she's pro-ready at this point? She still has a lot of upside if she stays with them another year.

Without a doubt, Holly has recruited some outstanding talent as well as some recruits who may have been overrated, Holly’s problem is figuring out how to get the best out of her recruits. It seems as though she recruits 5 stars in hope that they will come in college ready, when the truth is, even great athletics need to be coached and motivated.
That's been my biggest pet peeve with Holly. It's like she expects them to be way more mature than most 18 year olds are, and that she can just cash her check and the teenagers will figure things out for her. She's also managed to make some players worse, like Bashaara Graves who played fearlessly her freshman year, and seemed to lose confidence in her ability with each passing year.

Not my first pick, but I wouldn't exactly call her a bust. Wasn't she 2nd team All SEC? She also showed what she's capable of against MSST #1. She was unstoppable for most of the game until MSST's lead started to swell. Dawn had resigned herself to the fact that Te'a was only going to play 1 year for SC. Surely Te'a isn't foolish enough to think she's pro-ready at this point? She still has a lot of upside if she stays with them another year.

I’m sorry but I don’t think she was deserving of second team SEC. Her in conference numbers were abysmal. She shot 38% from the floor 15% from 3 and had a negative A/T ratio in conference. That spot should have gone to Kayla Wells or Evina Westbrook IMO. I believe Dawn would agree, she didn’t play well enough to earn an award. To me, she’s been a bust. She’s supposed to be a 5 star PG and she can barely pass the ball and can’t shoot the 3. Sorry but she’s a pass for me.

VN Store

Back