Confirmed: Samantha Williams to Tennessee

Fantastic news! A very impressive hire by Kellie.

The coaching staff and combination of players that get back to competing for championships (SEC and NCAA) is going to be remembered for a long, long time. We definitely will need high-profile recruits to right the ship, and Coach Williams could be a very important piece.

Here’s hoping!

I agree it's a great move. But before patting Kellie on the back too much for "knowing what she's doing" let's also remember she's rectifying her own mistake. Credit to her for doing so. Like I said before, I have renewed hope for her now...

I am sure Coach K is breathing a sigh of relief in your fervent support
oh and
Party on Darth.png

I don't think her recruiting skills will be an issue...She is one the credentialed tops...More than proven...🧡🏀🧡

We will see and it starts now with the class of 2022 and if her skills are what you say they are then she must bring in 6-3 Janiah Barker and 6-3 Ashlyn Watkins nothing less, If UConn and SC and UNC, Stanford can stack the deck then TN should be able to. Just found out she took this position because she was offered more money then she was making as a head coach.

Last edited:
No... not really. Mickie DeMoss accepted the head coaching job at Kentucky in the spring of 2003. In November of 2003, the Lady Vols signed their best ever class. That class included Candace Parker, Alexis Hornbuckle, Alex Fuller, Nicky Anosike and Sade Wiley-Gatewood. That class won National Championships in 2007 and 2008.
Hard to say they were better than 1998 National Champions. That’s a personal opinion. Either way, it’s a win-win for Lady Vols.

And then there is the 1 out of a hundred times when you say something that actually makes sense. Go figure.

In what world does what I say not make sense? I always put thought into what I post, have had many sources at UT and within the program over the years (I've been on UT message boards for about 15 years or so now and used to be on this site under a different name) and know who a few of the anonymous people that come in with info are. You might not like what I have to say, the fact that I'm not a pollyanna, or that I give both praise and criticism when they are due, but that's not my concern and that's not my problem. If I cared about what others thought, I would be a sycophant like you and a few other notable members here, but alas, I'm not. Regardless of how you feel about what I say, my posts *always* make sense to anyone with basic common sense, whether they agree or not. Disagreement is not the same as someone not making sense.

Again, you're someone who carried Holly's water until the bitter end and swore up and down that she was a great coach and acted like nothing was ever wrong. You consistently whine at the slightest criticism of the program. I wouldn't be throwing stones about statements that 'make no sense' if I were you.

Hard to say they were better than 1998 National Champions. That’s a personal opinion. Either way, it’s a win-win for Lady Vols.

If you're talking about Catchings, Randall, Clement and Geter, the 2004 HS class, on paper, was better coming into UT. Catchings was the HSPOY, and Randall and Clement were both top ten recruits. But the 2005 class had Parker, one of the greatest girls' HS basketball players ever, if not the best, who had won the Naismith HSPOY award both her junior and senior years. Plus Hornbuckle and SWG were both top 5 recruits and the top players at their positions. Then throw in Fuller and Anosike, who were both McDonald's AAs and Dosty, and I'd say on paper that's the best class ever period, not just at UT. It was better than the Catchings/Randall class and also better than the Cash/Williams/Jones/Bird class at UConn (which on paper was also better than the Catchings/Randall class). But WTBS, that 2004 class didn't live up to expectations as a whole, due to some players having injuries, one transferring and one simply never panning out in college (and also transferring). It's still arguable that class wound up being better than the Catchings class due to winning two NCs, but they had an assist from the JUCO route -- although I have no doubt in my mind that they win in 2005 if Candace is healthy. Catchings certainly lived up to the hype, and Randall showed a lot of promise early in her career but struggled with consistency post-Holdsclaw, and had a very unremarkable senior year. Geter of course left after two years and Clement was a virtual bust as a college player.

Last edited:
In what world does what I say not make sense? I always put thought into what I post, have had many sources at UT and within the program over the years (I've been on UT message boards for about 15 years or so now and used to be on this site under a different name) and know who a few of the anonymous people that come in with info are. You might not like what I have to say, the fact that I'm not a pollyanna, or that I give both praise and criticism when they are due, but that's not my concern and that's not my problem. If I cared about what others thought, I would be a sycophant like you and a few other notable members here, but alas, I'm not. Regardless of how you feel about what I say, my posts *always* make sense to anyone with basic common sense, whether they agree or not. Disagreement is not the same as someone not making sense.

Again, you're someone who carried Holly's water until the bitter end and swore up and down that she was a great coach and acted like nothing was ever wrong. You consistently whine at the slightest criticism of the program. I wouldn't be throwing stones about statements that 'make no sense' if I were you.

Since you want to take this to a personal level.....I believe you're a bully because you belittle those who don't agree with what you're saying and you're mean when doing it. I'm not going to waste my time going through all the faults you have. You are certainly not worth it but I will say this, when you are constantly hateful, you lose integrity and right now you have zero in my book. I hope I am clear. As far as your last paragraph, thanks for recognizing my support of the Lady Vols.

Oh and " neener neener" to you whatever that means. Just more incomprehensible rhetoric.

that was posted 4/9/21 before she accepted the assistant job for more money it seems ... pretty sure she doubled her salary at UT by being an assistant if not doubled it’s close

People are reading the Raoul tweet to mean that WIlliams has changed her mind about coming to UT, and is "running it back" as HC of EKU. When it actually means that Williams has "changed her mind" about "running it back" at EKU, and is instead gone "into the portal", meaning she's transferring to UT to be an asst. coach....

So yes her "running it back" tweet is dated, but Raoul's tweet is on point......

Reactions: Border Vol
People are reading the Raoul tweet to mean that WIlliams has changed her mind about coming to UT, and is "running it back" as HC of EKU. When it actually means that Williams has "changed her mind" about "running it back" at EKU, and is instead gone "into the portal", meaning she's transferring to UT to be an asst. coach....

So yes her "running it back" tweet is dated, but Raoul's tweet is on point......

Oh i followed exactly what was meant... I was giving the post i responded to a time line because i saw online where people thought she was going back to EKU because he posted that. I was just providing clarity and context before that post took on a whole different spin and it had no context to go along with it. It just said she decided to return and then 21-22 which some possibly could have took as she changed her mind.

thanks though 😃

No... not really. Mickie DeMoss accepted the head coaching job at Kentucky in the spring of 2003. In November of 2003, the Lady Vols signed their best ever class. That class included Candace Parker, Alexis Hornbuckle, Alex Fuller, Nicky Anosike and Sade Wiley-Gatewood. That class won National Championships in 2007 and 2008.
1985 pat hired mickey demoss 18 seasons 13 final four 6 ncaa championships not a bad run as pat top ass. coach. 2002 - 2012 just two championships. it was a small leak but hollie could not plug it.

It’s easy to like this hire. Really curious what she does with the other position. I’d really like to see a young on the rise coach that can effectively recruit and relate to the players. Williams is mid forties at this point and could be complemented by a rising coach regardless of TN ties.

Last edited:
Reactions: stlvolsfan
Almost gave me chills. Love the bio. Great attitude! And the tweet? That’s the kind of players I want. Go get em’ Coach Sam!!

I would love to have heard coach’s pitch that convinced her to come. Maybe to help put the most prestigious women’s basketball program back on top where they should be?

Reactions: Border Vol
I would love to have heard coach’s pitch that convinced her to come. Maybe to help put the most prestigious women’s basketball program back on top where they should be?

I’m sure that was part of it! Mentioned it in another thread, but Jon probably gets a lot of the credit here. He and Coach Sam overlapped as students at Auburn when he was a manager and she was a player. Kellie has obviously known her a long time as well because they have been together since then. Old friends getting together to dominate is what I’m hoping for!

VN Store

Back