Confident USU Fans (blue cool-aid)

I think it is just what they do. It is a formula that has given them success.

If you are in their shoes, do you change to get an unlikely win when your conference is out there to be won? They'll match up better against some teams and styles more than others. I tend to think it won't match up well vs UT's style on D this fall.

Not saying they should change it. But also saying that if one is to match their style against our strengths/weaknesses, it doesn't bode well for them.

(I know you know this. We are agreeing. lol)

Pretty much our kryptonite on D will be interior line. We have speed on the edges, LBs and secondary. To come in here with a passing and perimeter game will be suicide.

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO, the loss of Saulsberry is a big hit. The X factor IMO is Owen Williams. Supposedly super strong but will it translate into someone who can clog up the middle, draw double teams, and basically keep OL's off of AJ? I think the answer to the DT issue is the difference between 6 wins and 8.

Last edited:
IMHO, the loss of Saulsberry is a big hit. The X factor IMO is Owen Williams. Supposedly super strong but will it translate into someone who can clog up the middle, draw double teams, and basically keep OL's off of AJ? I think the answer to the DT issue is the difference between 6 wins and 8.

I agree completely.

I don't think it's a major factor in the USU game though. Just got finished watching a lot of Youtube footage of them from the past couple of years. They will not punch you in the mouth up the middle. They seem to make their $$$ off of slow edges that lose contain, and a scrambling QB that gets secondaries out of position. That seems to be their MO.

They also seemed to live off of big plays, but often had little follow-up to big plays against the better competition.

Any word on our ability to avoid penalties? We have 32 new soldiers.... curious of any ideas here.

I agree completely.

I don't think it's a major factor in the USU game though. Just got finished watching a lot of Youtube footage of them from the past couple of years. They will not punch you in the mouth up the middle. They seem to make their $$$ off of slow edges that lose contain, and a scrambling QB that gets secondaries out of position. That seems to be their MO.

They also seemed to live off of big plays, but often had little follow-up to big plays against the better competition.

Very very solid assessment. 2012 and 2013 we did very little up the middle. 2012 we had a plethora of big plays. When Keeton went down in 2013 those went down dramatically. I have been a bit frustrated by our play calling. An OL's weaknesses can be masked by a solid up the middle run game. It's much easier to move forward than always move back in pass blocking. 2011 the way we were able to physically dominate Auburn was by running up the gut. That and we had 3 NFL backs on the roster.

If we pass 70% of the time like we did at the scrimmage I am confident of a blowout in Tennessee's favor. We need to have more balance and not do so much laterally. Your athletes will destroy us if we go East and West rather than north and south.

Very very solid assessment. 2012 and 2013 we did very little up the middle. 2012 we had a plethora of big plays. When Keeton went down in 2013 those went down dramatically. I have been a bit frustrated by our play calling. An OL's weaknesses can be masked by a solid up the middle run game. It's much easier to move forward than always move back in pass blocking. 2011 the way we were able to physically dominate Auburn was by running up the gut. That and we had 3 NFL backs on the roster.

If we pass 70% of the time like we did at the scrimmage I am confident of a blowout in Tennessee's favor. We need to have more balance and not do so much laterally. Your athletes will destroy us if we go East and West rather than north and south.

Honest question. Do you think you have a run game that can attack the middle?

Honest question. Do you think you have a run game that can attack the middle?

It's hard to tell from watching a scrimmage, but we have to try. If you're only attacking the 5 and 6 gaps against Tennessee you're going to struggle mightily. We don't have a "power" back per se, but good play action can help a lot. I doubt we run draw with Keeton, that's terribly dangerous. We have some backs that look capable of running the ball efficiently.

For the record, no offense to USU. I was really impressed with what you guys do with your talent. TBH, I worry a little bit about this game if you can expose our inside D-line. If not, it's a walk-off for UT.

Again, no offense.

For the record, no offense to USU. I was really impressed with what you guys do with your talent. TBH, I worry a little bit about this game if you can expose our inside D-line. If not, it's a walk-off for UT.

Again, no offense.

None taken, as I've said before if I'm a UT fan I expect to win this one by 14+, just the nature of being a big boy in a big conference. Even if you haven't won many games in the big conference lately. Thanks for the compliment, that's a hallmark of USU, being able to develop the talent we get. If we could get some guys a little further along things could really jive. Both lines are inexperienced for both sides so it's going to be interesting what offensive game plans are put out there. I also wonder if Tennessee is going to run more vanilla since you've got Oklahoma too.

It's hard to tell from watching a scrimmage, but we have to try. If you're only attacking the 5 and 6 gaps against Tennessee you're going to struggle mightily. We don't have a "power" back per se, but good play action can help a lot. I doubt we run draw with Keeton, that's terribly dangerous. We have some backs that look capable of running the ball efficiently.

I know Keeton has been "cleared" to go, but is he full contact again?

This game is interesting to me because I honestly think WE are going to be the surprise team here. USU is no joke, and our fans need to grasp that, but I think we are about to witness the beginning of a turnaround for UT. It may not be fully reflected in the W-L column this year, but we have the potential to catch a few teams off guard if they look too far ahead. Keeton, is an X factor here. If he gets hit hard by AJ or Maggitt, will he stay calm and collected, or will that knee start making him think twice? Also, I think the sheer difference in speed, strength, and conditioning this year alone will make a major difference in our level of competitiveness in all games.

None taken, as I've said before if I'm a UT fan I expect to win this one by 14+, just the nature of being a big boy in a big conference. Even if you haven't won many games in the big conference lately. Thanks for the compliment, that's a hallmark of USU, being able to develop the talent we get. If we could get some guys a little further along things could really jive. Both lines are inexperienced for both sides so it's going to be interesting what offensive game plans are put out there. I also wonder if Tennessee is going to run more vanilla since you've got Oklahoma too.

IMHO, UT won't go too vanilla for the same reason you won't spend August trying to find a power run game... it doesn't suit the real end goal. If UT somehow makes a game of it with OU it will be because they executed to perfection and got some breaks... IMO it won't be because they tricked them.

Reactions: 2 people

This game is interesting to me because I honestly think WE are going to be the surprise team here. USU is no joke, and our fans need to grasp that, but I think we are about to witness the beginning of a turnaround for UT. It may not be fully reflected in the W-L column this year, but we have the potential to catch a few teams off guard if they look too far ahead. Keeton, is an X factor here. If he gets hit hard by AJ or Maggitt, will he stay calm and collected, or will that knee start making him think twice? Also, I think the sheer difference in speed, strength, and conditioning this year alone will make a major difference in our level of competitiveness in all games.

Keeton unlike our other ACL starter, Hill hasn't been full contact. If I told you that didn't worry me I'd be a liar. Keeton's best weapon lies between the ears. The kid is incredibly mentally resillent. There's not a strong way to prove this to you, but just watching him and hearing him talk you can tell he has "it". Who knows how getting hit by a 250 + muscled up dude going full speed affects you. I think he needs to learn to slide or go out of bounds more often.

Sounds like you guys have huge ???s at center. May be a good thing for us, and potentially minimize the questions we have on inside DL.

I've wondered what will happen to Keeton if he plays his MO--which is scramble around outside the pocket, act like he is going to run, and then dump it off to a receiver when the secondary pulls out of coverage to protect against the QB run.

With the speed we have on the outside, and the speed we have in the secondary, it could be more than a long day for Keeton. Combine that with the size associated with our speed, and I truly worry for him. I'm not trying to be a smart---. I truly fear he may get hurt, what with him coming off ligament damage already.

Keeton unlike our other ACL starter, Hill hasn't been full contact. If I told you that didn't worry me I'd be a liar. Keeton's best weapon lies between the ears. The kid is incredibly mentally resillent. There's not a strong way to prove this to you, but just watching him and hearing him talk you can tell he has "it". Who knows how getting hit by a 250 + muscled up dude going full speed affects you. I think he needs to learn to slide or go out of bounds more often.

I agree. I'd like to see him stay healthy and will be rooting for you guys the rest of the season.

This may not play well for you guys, and I'm seriously not saying this because it minimizes him in the UT game, but... If I was your coach, I would consider turning him into a game manager for the first game. I know this sounds like an SEC, SEC chant, but what you'll see from our edge and secondary will be a lot different than you are used to seeing. For reference, see the number of SEC players knocked out for the season by UT's defense last year. And all with clean hits.

Those boys bring the lumber, and they bring it often.

I didn't realize that they were still tentative with Keeton, but that makes sense.

We have struggled in the past against something as simple as a draw with a mobile QB.

We never let our QBs get hit in practice, good, bad, or neither. I wonder how the acclimatization period will be for Keeton. To be sure, USU will play to win the game so that eliminates the idea of making Keeton a game manager. This works against lesser competition but not against the skill players that Tennessee has.

We never let our QBs get hit in practice, good, bad, or neither. I wonder how the acclimatization period will be for Keeton. To be sure, USU will play to win the game so that eliminates the idea of making Keeton a game manager. This works against lesser competition but not against the skill players that Tennessee has.

It is a tough draw for you in that respect. He is your best shot at making a game of it. Not knocking your guys but what you have at receiver isn't very scary compared to what UT sees from bigger programs.

It is a tough draw for you in that respect. He is your best shot at making a game of it. Not knocking your guys but what you have at receiver isn't very scary compared to what UT sees from bigger programs.

No doubt, USU doesn't have any freakish athletes like the SEC has had through the years. I'd kill to have a guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones in Aggie Blue. If Chuckie had a receiver like a Jason Croom or Josh Malone, defenses would be quite scared.
The unique thing about Chuckie Keeton is how he makes all his receivers better. We had a pretty regular group of receivers last year. All of them ran good routes and caught the ball, but none of them really had game breaking speed with the exception of Butler. CK made a slow white guy look really good time and time again. WE have more athleticism at the position this year, but certainly nothing to write home about. That's why I have been worried about our lack of balance. We can't have Chuckie dusting himself off after every play.

I like Utah as a state. USU has nice blue uniforms, they look good.

With that out of the way.. USU will get slaughtered.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back