Confident USU Fans (blue cool-aid)

You may have been on here (Volnation) longer but I doubt you've been a Vol fan longer than I have. Sorry you're in the heart of Bama land. That has to suck. I'm in FL and the UF fans don't even make fun of us any more until game week.

Ha ha.. I am 89 years old..(I am lying of course) I helped the General get the men into the locker rooms after practice years ago. No NO.. I broke ground on Neyland Stadium when it was about to be built.. WOOHOO I Win!!

In Florida... oh gosh no wonder your the way you are ha ha.. I am not sure which is worse.. well.. you may have the advantage.. the "Bammers" here are still on top so they have that "Its a Championship or Nothing" mentality. I honestly have grown to dislike the Gators as much as this Maroon team.:salute:

Guys that made our peak happen? What about Chuckie Keeton, Zach Vigil, Kyler Fackrell to name a few?

I would guess that our program will continue to strike gold with underrated players. We call it player development. Whereas UT gets guys that are physically ready from Day 1, we have to prepare ours a bit and we do a fine job of it.

I could say the same thing to you, only the opposite. Maybe you program continues to fail with 5-star talent, but that would be atypical.

Your post indicates that you clearly don't understand where our program currently is and where it has been during our historically bad stretch these last 6-7 years. Our recruiting, until last year when we did actually, finally, bring in a couple of 5 star players, has been poor given the schedule / competition that we consistently play. The last regime (Derek Dooley) was awful in all imaginable facets, perhaps player development being the worse. To be sure, one of Butch Jones' most urgent priorities has been to turn the roster over as quickly as possible and upgrade a very poor, very slow roster at virtually every position.

We're very hopeful yet still not certain that our current staff can indeed develop the talent they have begun to accrue. We're not gonna know for awhile but I hope we begin to see a glimpse of it starting Aug 31.

Last edited:
Guys that made our peak happen? What about Chuckie Keeton, Zach Vigil, Kyler Fackrell to name a few?
Name a few? That's pretty much it... isn't it?

I'm not even taking a shot at you... just stating some facts about where you sit. Maybe it goes up... maybe it stays roughly the same... maybe it goes down.

Historically speaking... down is the most likely direction.

I would guess that our program will continue to strike gold with underrated players. We call it player development. Whereas UT gets guys that are physically ready from Day 1, we have to prepare ours a bit and we do a fine job of it.
Jones places a high emphasis on player development as well. The problem with what you say is that you have to find that 180 lb kid who can grow into a 220 lb LB. There aren't that many of them and coaches great at seeing their potential... just aren't a dime a dozen.

So now the ones that were "hits" found by Petersen are mostly gone. Maybe there will be more or maybe not.

I could say the same thing to you, only the opposite. Maybe you program continues to fail with 5-star talent, but that would be atypical.

UT has had some decent talent come through even during the down period. It has not been developed very well. It hasn't been coached very well. Jones on the contrary seems to be very, very good at focused development of players. My remaining question about Jones is can he get it done on gameday. The guy can recruit and develop players.

UT's "failure" has come primarily in a conference where EVERYONE has 4-5* talent. It matters very little to the game on 8/31 but your best teams over the past 3 years would have struggled to even do as well as UT has done vs the same schedule.

To put it in perspective, according to ESPN you have played 3 teams in the past 3 years that finished ranked in the top 25 BCS poll. UT has played 4 of the last 6 BCS championship game contenders. They avg playing close to twice the number of ranked teams each season than you have played in 3 years.

Failure/success at UT vs USU... is a totally different enterprise.

Reactions: 9 people

I'm not even taking a shot at you... just stating some facts about where you sit. Maybe it goes up... maybe it stays roughly the same... maybe it goes down.

Jones places a high emphasis on player development as well. The problem with what you say is that you have to find that 180 lb kid who can grow into a 220 lb LB. There aren't that many of them and coaches great at seeing their potential... just aren't a dime a dozen.

So now the ones that were "hits" found by Petersen are mostly gone. Maybe there will be more or maybe not.

UT has had some decent talent come through even during the down period. It has not been developed very well. It hasn't been coached very well. Jones on the contrary seems to be very, very good at focused development of players. My remaining question about Jones is can he get it done on gameday. The guy can recruit and develop players.

UT's "failure" has come primarily in a conference where EVERYONE has 4-5* talent. It matters very little to the game on 8/31 but your best teams over the past 3 years would have struggled to even do as well as UT has done vs the same schedule.

To put it in perspective, according to ESPN you have played 3 teams in the past 3 years that finished ranked in the top 25 BCS poll. UT has played 4 of the last 6 BCS championship game contenders. They avg playing close to twice the number of ranked teams each season than you have played in 3 years.

Can I get an Amen?? :clapping:

9000 is a good crowd. Especially for USU and in Logan.

Tennessee has been bit with the bug of overrated recruiting and horrible coaching for about 5 yrs. Jones, hopefully is turning that around.

Who's Petersen? I hope you're not talking about Chris.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but there were an awful lot of "BOOMS" on here during the Dooley days when commitments announced. Was that blind loyalty?

I'm not giving Dooley credit for the S. Carolina game, so you know. I was simply making the point that you can't blame him for the losses if you're not going to give him credit for the wins.

That's similar to the parental joke of when your child does good you say, "That's my son/daughter." When they mess up, you look at your spouse and say, "look what your son/daughter did."

That's all.

Dooley was terrible and at this point everything that is wrong with the roster is his fault. We boomed but then they switched commitment to Arkansas or to Texas near signing day.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we win, but I also think Keeton will give us some trouble assuming he's 100 percent from his ACL injury.

IMHO, the biggest trouble UT faces this fall will come from teams that run right at the middle. UT is going to be thin and now smaller assuming Saulsberry's injury ends his season/career. That isn't Keeton's game. His game is to improvise and run around. THAT... plays well to very athletic but inexperienced players.... since they can also improvise and run around.

Reactions: 1 person
They do have some good players with an experienced qb but they will not be as formidable a team as last year. Much like Vandy, they will backslide some imo.

Last edited:
IMHO, the biggest trouble UT faces this fall will come from teams that run right at the middle. UT is going to be thin and now smaller assuming Saulsberry's injury ends his season/career. That isn't Keeton's game. His game is to improvise and run around. THAT... plays well to very athletic but inexperienced players.... since they can also improvise and run around.

It seems as though, according to reports from their open practice, they are concentrating on passing game and outside running.

Seriously.

It seems as though, according to reports from their open practice, they are concentrating on passing game and outside running.

Seriously.

I think it is just what they do. It is a formula that has given them success.

If you are in their shoes, do you change to get an unlikely win when your conference is out there to be won? They'll match up better against some teams and styles more than others. I tend to think it won't match up well vs UT's style on D this fall.

thats what they do. Its what they have always done. They arent built to come right at you. They really dont pose much of a threat that way. They throw alot laterally and use alot short routes. Thats why alot of times you will see JoJo Natson with like 6 or 7 catches but only like 30 yards. I feel pretty good about it.

Chuckie has looked decent but hes playing against the 2s and 3s still wearing a red jersey. Hes still only about 10 months out. Nobody will be 100& sure on him until he gets some live bullets flying at him. When he was at his best he still throws alot. He can run and hes elusive. More elusive than fast to be honest. He can make a couple guys miss but hes not gonna burn everybody down the sidelines with his speed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back