Concerning message from gator land, we better hurry up and get in

I'm not sure it's fair to Butch and Tennessee to make that comparison. Mac's issues stem from stubbornness and insubordination off the field more than what he's done on it. A lot of reports are surfacing about his refusal to work within the parameters of our administration

A lot of truth to this. Story after story seeping out about Mac’s stubbornness. He’s got the attitude and swagger of Nick Saban with the resume’ of Lou Saban (credit Mike Bianchi for that line).

The first signs of his detrimental stubbornness was nonchalantly letting Will Grier just walk out the door, without an apparent care in the world. Sure Grier screwed up, but he was a dang Freshman, had a 3 years ahead of him and was clearly the most talented qb at UF in years. And because Mac wanted to be stubborn tough guy, he let’s Grier walk, or as many have said, nudges him out the door with the famous “maybe you could use a change of scenery” line.

So there’s the stubbornness in combination with the “aww shucks, overly laid back, no socks, pretty cool man” bull crap that always accompanied every interview and press conference.

As for Tennessee, Butch Jones is just as dorky, but only add in a layer of tone deafness unmatched in college head coaching. Things that he thinks are swell ideas could not look or sound more dopey.

Both programs are screwed unless they hit a bullseye on the next hires. How messed up is this; South Carolina and freaking Kentucky are 6-2 and here’s Florida and UT both having to sing for their supper and likely won’t make Bowl games.

Reactions: 1 person
I know you guys probably don't need a lizard chiming in here, but I really think the two situations are totally different.

Butch isn't actively embarrassing and undermining your university with stubbornness and insubordination the way Mac is down here. In his time at UF, Mac has:

- refused to attend department-wide meetings that are mandatory for coaches across the spectrum (he believes the football program should be set apart from the others whereas the UAA values all sports equally...one of the reasons we're so successful in many different sports)
- publicly threw the administration under the bus for the state of our facilities
- refused to take advice from Spurrier when he was made ambassador and offered tips about the offense
- questioned the administration's commitment to football after the Outback Bowl last year
- criticized the fans and administration during Signing Day last year
- moved his wife to Scottsdale, AZ, and spend offseasons in Montana because they hate the humidity of FL; constantly whining about the weather and culture in FL
- alleged receiving death threats by the fans and refused to report anything to the administration (likely just made them up)

It's rubbed our administration the wrong way and both sides seem to feel it's just best to move on.

Butch's situation is different. It's obviously not gone the way he planned on the field, but he's been dealt some bad hands and been a little hamstrung at times. Unlike Mac, though, Butch isn't a jerk to work with and is willing to adhere to his administration's policies. As I stated in another thread, being a good guy can buy you more time than if you're a snake. Muschamp was very well-regarded by both our UAA and university president, and, as such, he was brought back for another year after a disastrous 4-8 campaign in 2013 (worst season since 1979 at that point).

What I'm trying to say here is that Mac probably wouldn't be in this predicament if he'd been more of a nice guy like Butch. It's probably not fair to rip the University of Tennessee for being more patient with a good man like Butch...if their coach had a poisonous personality, like Mac, then I bet the Vol brass would've already made a move a while ago.

Don’t forget nonchalantly nudging Will Grier out the door because Mac was the “quarterback whisperer” and could make his dog “Clarabelle” successful at QB, didn’t need Will Grier, let him go get a change of scenery. And yes, I realize Grier messed up, but recognize his talent, coach and educate him, and for God’s sake, keep the most talented qb to come along in years in the program!

If the Vols think they want the same coach the Gators do..... they should have already sent the messenger, the agent, the wife and the prospective coach hookers and good liquor , designer handbags and etc., or whatever floats their boats because FL is about to drop the hammer on Mr. ED the naked shark humping, yellow teeth having dough boy.

Don’t forget nonchalantly nudging Will Grier out the door because Mac was the “quarterback whisperer” and could make his dog “Clarabelle” successful at QB, didn’t need Will Grier, let him go get a change of scenery. And yes, I realize Grier messed up, but recognize his talent, coach and educate him, and for God’s sake, keep the most talented qb to come along in years in the program!

Yep, that was a major misstep.

The guy just doesn't get it. He's one of the most stubborn, "my way or the highway" personalities I've ever been around. He's also incredibly arrogant for someone who really hasn't accomplished much of anything. I'm not trying to sound like some elite insider, but I do have connections to the UAA and I can tell you that office staff hated working with him from literally Day 1.

Butch Jones, by contrast, seems like a much more positive, inspiring person to work with. I've heard nothing but good things about him and I admire the UT admin for taking their time before deciding whether to part ways with such a positive influence within the game.

My prediction: If it doesn't work out at UT, Butch will get another good coaching job one day. However, I could honestly see this being Mac's last big time gig after the behavior and method of dealings he's displayed at UF.

Reactions: 1 person
Florida has found (Or manufactured) a way out of Mac's Contract Buyout. Really kinda nasty, if you ask me. BUT; at least THEY actually give a chit about winning! AND They see GA HAS become the bama of the East; as I Predicted on here and got shouted down. Well well .

The guy just doesn't get it. He's one of the most stubborn, "my way or the highway" personalities I've ever been around. He's also incredibly arrogant for someone who really hasn't accomplished much of anything. I'm not trying to sound like some elite insider, but I do have connections to the UAA and I can tell you that office staff hated working with him from literally Day 1.

Butch Jones, by contrast, seems like a much more positive, inspiring person to work with. I've heard nothing but good things about him and I admire the UT admin for taking their time before deciding whether to part ways with such a positive influence within the game.

My prediction: If it doesn't work out at UT, Butch will get another good coaching job one day. However, I could honestly see this being Mac's last big time gig after the behavior and method of dealings he's displayed at UF.

I could see Mac at an Oregon State or Nevada type job, but he’s done with the SEC or other big time programs. Mac’s West Coast vibe seems like a really poor fit for the Florida culture too. Florida fans notoriously suffer through wins, let alone horrible losses. And when you come to the Mic with “well golly gee, man o’ man, aww shucks, and yet...” stuff,

The more you talk about how dissimilar Butch and Donkey Jaw are, the more alike they sound. There have been plenty of rumors about how difficult Butch is to work with as well, and stubborn...he still believes he can win and his offense is infallible. Come on. The two guys are cut from the same cloth. Butch may seem a little nicer from the outside, and unlike Mac, hasn't openly complained about his physical surroundings, but those two guys both have massive egos, they are never wrong, and they'll go to their grave convinced they aren't the problem.

A lot of truth to this. Story after story seeping out about Mac’s stubbornness. He’s got the attitude and swagger of Nick Saban with the resume’ of Lou Saban (credit Mike Bianchi for that line).

Why did Florida sign him to an extension just 4 months ago?

No, they want to fire him because they aim for national titles and he can't provide that. The lying about death threats crap just saves them from paying a 12 million dollar buyout.

Exactly. Florida has an administration that expects championships. We have an administration that lets a guy with a 14-23 record in the SEC hang around for 5 years.

Florida admins would have fired Butch Jones in 2016 after the losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt. And the fans would have turned on him after the meltdowns in 2015 against Oklahoma and Florida.

We don't have an administration that cares about winning. And we have a fan base that makes excuses for terrible coaches like Butch Jones.

Tennessee better get busy! I’ve heard Mac may be gone as early as tomorrow (Sunday).

I honestly hate you guys. How the hell did y'all get out from under McElwain so soon?

I was looking forward to another 2 years of futility from Florida.

I absolutely think Jones should be sent on his way, but as with Fulmer, he's getting some pretty undeserved hostility. He needs to go no doubt. Just without all the venom imo.

There's venom because he's not out yet. The moment he's fired people will calm down and give him the credit he deserves for improving the program.

People just don't want to see him on the sidelines anymore. They are fed up with his coaching.

Hm, if he doesn't get it, why did the school give him an extension just 4 months ago? This seemed like how Florida wanted to proceed last year for sure, I mean LSU, 'got what they deserved'. This is clearly just buyers remorse.

Florida will make a play for Chip Kelly. Watch

Agreed. Recruiting in Florida is the huge draw that separates these two jobs. Chip Kelly with those athletes would be dangerous.

Hopefully we’ve locked Gruden in.

How big of a bad PR move will it be for Currie? Like Parcells says, you are what your record says you are. This is one bad season, and having a bad game here or there is one thing, but having the same bad things happen over and over, though players actions, is on the coaches...how about let's start with no motion penalties inside the 10 yard line.

IF UF moves on Mac, and we continue our slow demise with no coaching move, this Vol country will go nuts. We are now South Carolina and Kentucky and Ole Miss...decent season here and there, but under performers.

Just wait till Currie adds to this bad pr look by tweeting about the big showdown between the UT equestrian team and TAMU's equestrian team

VN Store

Back