Complete Disrespect vs USU

Just watched some highlights of Keeton. Seems to be in the Brad Smith mold. He can put up big numbers and make plays but he doesn't have that little extra (physically, athletically) to carry his team like a Vince Young.

/thread.

Better yet, I can't believe we're having a conversation about "winnable games" when mentioning Tennessee and Utah State in the same sentence. For someone who was in Sun Devil Stadium when the Vols won the national championship -- along with countless other classics -- this is tough to take.

Rip Van Winkle? Is that you?

some of you are really sensitive.

The opponent thinks they can beat a team that hasn't been to a bowl game since 2010.

Is that really crazy?

I think Tennessee will win. I think Tennessee will win fairly comfortably. But, to be offended because another team thinks they can win the game is a little silly.

Disrespectful post. They should not even get on the bus.

"quarterback Chuckie Keeton noted the Aggies were playing the current Vols, not their history."

And we'll be seeing the current Chuckie Keeton, not the one before a knee injury. Yeah, yeah, he's good as new, better than ever, 100% healthy, less than year later. So was Sam Bradford.

Reactions: 1 person
"quarterback Chuckie Keeton noted the Aggies were playing the current Vols, not their history."

And we'll be seeing the current Chuckie Keeton, not the one before a knee injury. Yeah, yeah, he's good as new, better than ever, 100% healthy, less than year later. So was Sam Bradford.

So your fantasy is He will not be as good as he was. We can hope but no one knows.

And that is your entire purpose for building this game up to be a complete mismatch when nothing could be further from the truth.
No it isn't and yes it is.

I believe in what Jones has done in recruiting and in the development of these guys in the off-season. He has a more talented team and it isn't close. They may have a slight advantage in experience but lost MORE starters than UT did.

What IS true however is that some continually want to low ball expectations to avoid being disappointed and so they can excuse failure... that hasn't changed for awhile now. The tendency goes back to Fulmer's last few years... and I've done it myself.

Good luck with that. iF it comes to pass, you can be the first to officially call for Butch Jones' dismissal.
One game? No. Would a poor showing against this team be another strike against Jones weighing against the merits he's also scored? Yes. At the point where I would personally start saying he should be fired, he will have completed 2 seasons and will be failing in his 3rd season to make progress... just like Fulmer... just like Dooley.

Do you think they should fire him at halftime if the game is still close at that point?

I think he should have his team prepared to handle business against a VERY WKU type of team. I believe he recruits well and am very impressed with his player development. The remaining piece is the ability to handle game week and gameday. If he fails to do that this week then it will just be another event in his "body of work". But it WON'T be without meaning.

So your fantasy is He will not be as good as he was. We can hope but no one knows.

No. I'm going with the reality of a QB returning for his first game with a reconstructed knee behind a rebuilt O-line throwing to a 5'7" receiver in front of 102K screaming desperados in orange. That and our fast, strong 6'5" receivers matching up well against their 5'9" corners.

But if we lose this game, my fantasy of a 7-win season will be pretty much shot.

I hope you are right so I don't have to hear you whining about the coaching staff for the next 24 months. Also, I'd like to see UT beat a quality team by 3 TDs or so.

I have yet to whine about the coaching staff. I have stated what I think expectations should be... and also that they did not get what they could out of their first roster.

USU was a quality team 3 years ago, 2 years ago, and even last year. MOST of the players that made that happen are gone.

I hope they do have a good season after UT. But if two teams are fairly similar in returning starters... the balance of the game this early in the season will usually come down to who has the more talented players. In this case, it is UT by a very wide margin.

How bad did you beat Utah State on your Xbox last night?

In saying Fulmer failed in three consecutive seasons, are you counting the 2007 team that appeared in the SECCG and won 10 games and a NYD Bowl and the 2006 team that won 9 games and played in a NYD Bowl between the 05 and 08 seasons?

I hope CBJ is running Dobbs on scout and working with DL on keeping him in the pocket. Can't let their guy get outside and create plays. It's a tough decision for a DB to have to decide whether to go for the QB or stay with your man. IF we contain Keeton we win going away. If he gets to freelance then there will be some anxiety in the 4th quarter.

Report says that he's running Dobbs and one of the Berry's as "Keeton".

With respect to you, without those turnovers, we may have lost that game. And yes I know its part of the game but they spotted us alot of points
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah, without those forced fumbles, interceptions (2 of which were gifts) and other 38 points we scored, we could've indeed lost to WKy and not won by THIRTY-TWO points.

In saying Fulmer failed in three consecutive seasons, are you counting the 2007 team that appeared in the SECCG and won 10 games and a NYD Bowl and the 2006 team that won 9 games and played in a NYD Bowl between the 05 and 08 seasons?

No. I'm saying that Fulmer needed to improve consistently after 2005. He didn't do that. In fact, if anything 2008 was a worse performance by him. Cutcliffe was life support... it seems pretty obvious that he carried Fulmer for a couple of years. My consistent position was that Fulmer needed to no worse than tread water or preferably improve... instead, he took a giant step backwards. It was rightly recognized that he was not the guy to bring the program back.

I don't think Tennessee is the team who needs motivation.

No it isn't and yes it is.

I believe in what Jones has done in recruiting and in the development of these guys in the off-season. He has a more talented team and it isn't close. They may have a slight advantage in experience but lost MORE starters than UT did.

What IS true however is that some continually want to low ball expectations to avoid being disappointed and so they can excuse failure... that hasn't changed for awhile now. The tendency goes back to Fulmer's last few years... and I've done it myself.

One game? No. Would a poor showing against this team be another strike against Jones weighing against the merits he's also scored? Yes. At the point where I would personally start saying he should be fired, he will have completed 2 seasons and will be failing in his 3rd season to make progress... just like Fulmer... just like Dooley.

I think he should have his team prepared to handle business against a VERY WKU type of team. I believe he recruits well and am very impressed with his player development. The remaining piece is the ability to handle game week and gameday. If he fails to do that this week then it will just be another event in his "body of work". But it WON'T be without meaning.

We are more talented, that's for sure. However I'm curious, and this is an honest question. If it's a close game or if USU scores a lot of points, how much of that is Jancek/Martinez vs Jones' fault?

some of you are really sensitive.

The opponent thinks they can beat a team that hasn't been to a bowl game since 2010.

Is that really crazy?

I think Tennessee will win. I think Tennessee will win fairly comfortably. But, to be offended because another team thinks they can win the game is a little silly.

99gator I usually like your posts (for the most part), but it's no more silly than a Florida fan pointing out on their own board (if one exists) to Idaho fans or media or bloggers that just because Florida sucked last year with a 4-8 season and got waxed by Georgia Southern, they might want to rethink the notion that the Vandals have a better shot than usual at winning the opener (even though they really, really sucked last year).

Your argument might be a disparity in talent, speed and strength, and it's a new year and a lot of the Gators' existing problems have been worked on and should have been taken care of or shored up somewhat, and that you're historically a better program. And still all that would not mean you are overlooking them or didn't respect them or some of their better players.

The same arguments being made here... Just some people are vocal and generally hacked off because of being weary from the past several years of sub-par Tennessee football (but still never a 4-8 :)), and being constantly reminded of those years of being sub-par, and realize the first step to earning back respect is to attempt to curb stomp our first opponent - a worthy one based on last year's performance which was part of the best years of their existence.

Now granted your first three opponents this year were collectively 5-31 last year, so maybe your breathing a bit easier and are more mellow than we are because we are playing Chuckie Keeton who last year evidently proved he can walk on water - rehabbed knee and all, and can cure all the shortcomings of replacing almost as many starters as we do but with less talented players, and can single handedly nullify their historically abysmal opening game record (1-12 since 2000) - if we are looking at past performance...

But this is this year, and I will continue to be hopeful that we have improved and are on the right track until proven otherwise, and I for one am ready to tee this thing up so everybody can stop flapping their gums and we can start to sort it all out on the field... That is all.

Oh, and Go Big Orange!!! :)

We are more talented, that's for sure. However I'm curious, and this is an honest question. If it's a close game or if USU scores a lot of points, how much of that is Jancek/Martinez vs Jones' fault?

I really like Jones. I don't think you start calculating his score card until at the earliest next year. But the assistants are to one extent or another game this year.

Jones' test in the case you suggest would be how he handled those assistants.

In spite of what Backward K says though... I sincerely think UT will win this game comfortably. I'm not "setting anything up". If not for the match up of UT's WR's vs their secondary... I'd be in the "close game" crowd for sure. Maybe even a little worried about a loss.

I simply do not think their back 7 will be able to stop UT's skill players. One or two? Sure. All of those guys? Not a chance in my mind. That leaves them with the option of pressuring Worley and taking chances in coverage... which plays to Worley's one known strength. He is pretty decisive in the pocket and can deliver short passes.

OK. Since you thought this was cute... Go on record. Are you saying that you do NOT believe that UT has a very significant talent advantage over USU? If you think it is close... then how close? I'll be interested in how you justify your response too.

IF you agree that UT is more talented and acknowledge the fact that they lost alot of contributors over the past 3 years... then how would you explain a close game or loss?

VN Store

Back