Coming after Vitello

I’m not quite sure of TV’s qualms with the “downtown” stadium. I get that he wants the home field advantage atmosphere, but I spent 5 years on that campus and “downtown” Knoxville is not far at all from campus. You can get to market square in like a 20-25 minute walk. You’d still have plenty of students at the games. But, I’m sure he has a better idea of what he’s looking for and I’m sure he has good reasons for not wanting to leave campus.
There really isn’t any space on campus for a new baseball stadium that I can think of unless you tear down LNS and build on top of it. But then you’d have to find a new temporary home stadium while it’s being built if you do that, because any new stadium is going to take longer than a single offseason to finish.

I am adamantly opposed to “sharing” a stadium. It will always belong to someone else, you will always be a second class citizen in what should be your home stadium.
I don’t think there’s any other choice if you want a new stadium tbh

A few things here.

1) vandy still doesn’t have fan support that makes $. Neither does florida. That fan support has to be a “culture” or tradition and schools don’t just get it with winning at the highest level

2) vandy became vandy because of need based aid and great coaching. It takes both

3) to answer your question I don’t think there is anything that can be done short of need base aid which isn’t possible at tenn to keep TV if schools with better “scholarship” situations and fan atmospheres come calling: money won’t matter imo
Is the aid not possible if UTK simply makes that decision across the board for all students? Arkansas does it, WKU does it, MSU and OM do it for high enough test scores.

Are UofL, TTU, LSU offering the amazing need based aid that Vandy does? If so, nevermind. If not, then Vandy’s decided advantage, isn’t paying massive returns. It took Corbin 8 years to reach Omaha and he has 4 appearances in 17 completed seasons. I don’t discount those numbers and recognize that every 4 years to Omaha is something anyone would gladly take, but considering he’s had the best average recruiting ranking for like a decade and put more players in the league than any coach it doesn’t seem like a great ROI. I’d be really interested in knowing if UofL offers something to out of state students, cause what McDonnell has done at a doormat program is amazing. 5 trips to Omaha in 13 complete years.

Last edited:
I could care less about having a new stadium just pour some money into the one we got.
It would take so much money to bring LNS on par with other SEC stadiums that you might as well just get a new stadium if you decide to spend big on baseball here.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I am adamantly opposed to “sharing” a stadium. It will always belong to someone else, you will always be a second class citizen in what should be your home stadium.
Forcing TN to play off campus would be the sure fire quickest way to oust Tony Vitello. If he doesn’t have Lindsey Nelson, he is gone.
Remember, his freshman are literally right across the street from LNS and that is exactly where TV wants them to be. He is okay with playing a big series or any series downtown but he will not leave LNS unless it’s to coach somewhere else.

Is the aid not possible if UTK simply makes that decision across the board for all students? Arkansas does it, WKU does it, I MSU and OM do it for high enough test scores.
Are UofL, TTU, LSU offering the amazing need based aid that Vandy does? If so, nevermind. If not, then Vandy’s decided advantage, isn’t paying massive returns. It took Corbin 8 years to reach Omaha and he has 4 appearances in 17 completed seasons. I don’t discount those numbers and recognize that every 4 years to Omaha is something anyone would gladly take, but considering he’s had the best average recruiting ranking for like a decade and put more players in the league than any coach it doesn’t seem like a great ROI. I’d be really interested in knowing if UofL offers something to out of state students, cause what McDonnell has done at a doormat program is amazing. 5 trips to Omaha in 13 complete years.

Yes it’s possible if it’s across the board but that is just not possible at Tennessee. Would cost way too much money

It would take so much money to bring LNS on par with other SEC stadiums that you might as well just get a new stadium if you decide to spend big on baseball here.

I gotta say, I watch a lot of baseball, I don’t get the issue. He’s got the field he wanted, update the entrance, if that means change the concourse, then might as well update the press box section, replace the bench seats down RFL/LFL and do something permanent where the porch is.

Reactions: OrangeSailor98
There really isn’t any space on campus for a new baseball stadium that I can think of unless you tear down LNS and build on top of it. But then you’d have to find a new temporary home stadium while it’s being built if you do that, because any new stadium is going to take longer than a single offseason to finish.
Bama did it a few years ago and played at Hoover. Do it on the same site and use the existing Smokies or new Smokies stadium, if there is one.

Reactions: Buzzbait
Yes it’s possible if it’s across the board but that is just not possible at Tennessee. Would cost way too much money
You do it for select markets or select states. Arkansas does it for all states that border AR while WKU has “randomly” picked metro areas throughout the South and Midwest to offer discounted tuition to. WKU is up to a student body of roughly 22,000 and has an endowment 1/10th of UTK’s. Their program is in-state + 10%, it doesn’t have to go to Vandy’s extent to expand the recruiting base and offset that attendance.

Reactions: Titan05
You do it for select markets or select states. Arkansas does it for all states that border AR while WKU has “randomly” picked metro areas throughout the South and Midwest to offer discounted tuition to. WKU is up to a student body of roughly 22,000 and has an endowment 1/10th of UTK’s. Their program is in-state + 10%, it doesn’t have to go to Vandy’s extent to expand the recruiting base and offset that attendance.
Oklahoma State does the same thing for Texas students.

I get it but the reasons schools do that is to boost enrollment. Tennessee doesn’t hurt in that regard so they aren’t going to do that just for baseball.

I’ve seen the renderings of the proposed upgrades. Left field line finished out with seating and a few suites, double decker “porch” (left and left center) with open suites, another entrance in the centerfield area.....it doable and would keep CTV satisfied. This new stadium talk isn’t happening, and the shared stadium is never going to work unless it a series or 2 a year at most. Proposed road closed in the outfield or at least a directional one way and take it to one lane and moved a bit

Last edited:
I’ve seen the renderings of the proposed upgrades. Left field line finished out with seating and a few suites, double decker “porch” (left and left center) with open suites, another entrance in the centerfield area.....it doable and would keep CTV satisfied. This new stadium talk isn’t happening, and the shared stadium is never going to work unless it a series or 2 a year at most. Proposed road closed in the outfield or at least a directional one way and take it to one lane and moved a bit

I back that plan!

A few things here.

1) vandy still doesn’t have fan support that makes $. Neither does florida. That fan support has to be a “culture” or tradition and schools don’t just get it with winning at the highest level

2) vandy became vandy because of need based aid and great coaching. It takes both

3) to answer your question I don’t think there is anything that can be done short of need base aid which isn’t possible at tenn to keep TV if schools with better “scholarship” situations and fan atmospheres come calling: money won’t matter imo

1) To your point: has Vandy had an atmosphere like what we saw at LNS last weekend? I don’t recall that they ever have. Florida either. So it seems that’s something Tennessee can offer they those two can’t...and those are two coveted jobs at schools that aren’t worried about losing their coaches to other schools.

2-3) I concur re: need-based aid. It’s a ridiculous advantage for Vandy. But it’s not possible at Arkansas and other public schools, either. So why are we worried about losing TV to a school with that “culture” when a school like Florida isn’t? Florida can’t offer need-based aid like Vandy. They can’t offer that fan “culture.” You’ll never see a crowd like what we saw at LNS last weekend at Florida, so in that sense, Tennessee has more appeal than Florida. So why can’t Tennessee keep a great coach like Florida can? I just don’t see why were so defeatist about this. Other than being Tennessee fans, of course. 😉

Hope you’re doing well, man. Love your input on this board.

1) To your point: has Vandy had an atmosphere like what we saw at LNS last weekend? I don’t recall that they ever have. Florida either. So it seems that’s something Tennessee can offer they those two can’t...and those are two coveted jobs at schools that aren’t worried about losing their coaches to other schools.

2-3) I concur re: need-based aid. It’s a ridiculous advantage for Vandy. But it’s not possible at Arkansas and other public schools, either. So why are we worried about losing TV to a school with that “culture” when a school like Florida isn’t? Florida can’t offer need-based aid like Vandy. They can’t offer that fan “culture.” You’ll never see a crowd like what we saw at LNS last weekend at Florida, so in that sense, Tennessee has more appeal than Florida. So why can’t Tennessee keep a great coach like Florida can? I just don’t see why were so defeatist about this. Other than being Tennessee fans, of course. 😉

The difference between florida and Tenn is massive with in state talent and with the sunshine scholarship program as well.

That’s why I don’t think it’s fair to compare those two programs in any shape form or fashion

But yea vandy nor florida have much atmosphere but the scholarship and in state talent trumps over that. That’s why we saw Corbin flirt with LSU and KevinO with Texas a few years back and decide to stay put

Last edited:

You’re arguing with a brick wall. Bruin is the most anti-Tennessee, Tennessee fan. It’s the same on the basketball board. There is NO reason we can’t keep TV for the long run if we decide to commit to him like we should. I think he wants to be here. We just have to show him we want him to be here, too.

Arkansas offers in-state tuition to all states that border Arkansas so they do have an advantage over us. As far as UF fan support it’s hit or miss like most of their sports, for whatever reason. However, I went to a Super Regional there in 2010 vs. UM and it was a solid sellout with 5,500 people so they can have crowds when they want them so not sure what you mean by the environment not being there. I was on campus for the 2005 CWS teams and saw plenty of lackadaisical crowds and couldn’t understand why.

To Bruin’s comment about the Bright Futures that’s no different than the Hope Scholarship or whatever TN calls their’s. Graduate HS with a certain GPA and test scores and get a piece of tuition waived. UF’s advantage is a population of 21M vs. 6M and year round ability play/practice.

You’re arguing with a brick wall. Bruin is the most anti-Tennessee, Tennessee fan. It’s the same on the basketball board. There is NO reason we can’t keep TV for the long run if we decide to commit to him like we should. I think he wants to be here. We just have to show him we want him to be here, too.

The funniest bs about this post is I don’t see any argument being discussed here. It’s a discussion where he’s asking my opinion and I am answering. In fact we both are agreeing with each other on some points.

Good grief

VN Store

Back