Coming after Vitello

Why would any logical human being take the Mizzou Job over Tennessee? Tennessee is 13/14 in facilities Mizzou is clearly 14th. Plus the fact that Missouri is in the Midwest far away from the recruiting base of the South. No kid from Florida wants to play in Missouri in the freezer for 3 months.
Because its home

Reactions: chuckiepoo
LOL....I didn't notice it was the baseball forum but just a baseball question. I thought it was a general posting....I'll stand by my original post...it was just misinterpreted...CLEARLY....other sports have been successful ....But no problem...Nonsense?? I can show you nonsense "probably"...and this aint it....AND AGAIN I WANT AN ON CAMPUS FACILITY...
Miami is not successful off campus. It’s one of the worst home field “advantages “ and college gameday environments you’ll find in the country.

The other advantage that Tennessee has over most other universities is no state taxes. Texas and Florida don't either. When you make that kind of salary, reducing taxes can be very profitable.

As a whole Tennessee has not had a history of loosing coaches to other schools in any sport. For the most part it's the administration deciding to go a different direction.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Diamond Vols Podcast — Texas A&M Weekend

For those interested, Ben McKee and Ryan Schumpert have a short discussion about a meeting between AD White and CTV earlier this week on their latest Diamond Vol podcast. Their discussion lasts from the 1:10 minute mark to approximately 8:29 minute mark.

The main point they discussed was apparently TN approached CTV (or at least floated the idea) to gauge his interest about the possibility of making the new downtown baseball stadium the permanent home of Tennessee baseball. Said that CTV saw both pros and cons to this possibility, as on the one hand, he wanted Tennessee baseball to still have that homefield / campus advantage, but that he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Obviously it's still early talks and things will continue to evolve. I'm relieved that at least White and the UT admin are being proactive in starting the talks with CTV instead of waiting until post season. They know that other schools will be calling.

Last edited:
Diamond Vols Podcast — Texas A&M Weekend

For those interested, Ben McKee and Ryan Schumpert have a short discussion about a meeting between AD White and CTV earlier this week on their latest Diamond Vol podcast. Their discussion lasts from the 1:10 minute mark to approximately 8:29 minute mark.

The main point they discussed was apparently TN approached CTV (or at least floated the idea) to gauge his interest about the possibility of making the new downtown baseball stadium the permanent home of Tennessee baseball. Said that CTV saw both pros and cons to this possibility, as on the one hand, he wanted Tennessee baseball to still have that homefield / campus advantage, but that he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Obviously it's still early talks and things will continue to evolve. I'm relieved that at least White and the UT admin are being proactive in starting the talks with CTV instead of waiting until post season. They know that other schools will be calling.
Heard that as well. First of all I think Ben does a great job of covering our baseball team, and I too am glad to hear that AD White is at least having these discussions with Coach V. I have longed for MANY years for us to have an SEC level baseball team and now that we do, I don’t want to lose that. We need to build off of it. GBO!!! 🟧⬜🟧⬜🟧⬜⚾⚾⚾

Reactions: TN_gal
Mizzu has gotten some solid players from Georgia.

I’ve said for years facilities are way over emphasized. It’s really not a big part of the formula for winning. Look no further than florida and vandy for proof that facilities are overrated

That being the case, what do you think Tennessee needs to do to keep TV in Knoxville, then?

That being the case, what do you think Tennessee needs to do to keep TV in Knoxville, then?

I stated my unpopular opinion regarding this a few weeks back. I don’t think you break the bank for baseball in Knoxville Tennessee. I don’t think baseball can ever be anywhere close to what it is at ole miss, LSU, MSU or Arkansas. If one of those schools comes calling you let him go if it comes down to money

I stated my unpopular opinion regarding this a few weeks back. I don’t think you break the bank for baseball in Knoxville Tennessee. I don’t think baseball can ever be anywhere close to what it is at ole miss, LSU, MSU or Arkansas. If one of those schools comes calling you let him go if it comes down to money
Curious as what you think breaking the bank is? Would you agree they need to come in at being in the top 5 or 6 in the SEC?

Reactions: minorvol
Curious as what you think breaking the bank is? Would you agree they need to come in at being in the top 5 or 6 in the SEC?

I think salary is virtually irrelevant and I’d be for paying him in the top tier of the league so I am not really focusing on that. I’m not for spending 10s of millions on facilities to keep him. Hope that makes sense

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
I’m not quite sure of TV’s qualms with the “downtown” stadium. I get that he wants the home field advantage atmosphere, but I spent 5 years on that campus and “downtown” Knoxville is not far at all from campus. You can get to market square in like a 20-25 minute walk. You’d still have plenty of students at the games. But, I’m sure he has a better idea of what he’s looking for and I’m sure he has good reasons for not wanting to leave campus.

Well I’ll respectfully disagree, especially given the atmosphere we saw last weekend. Vanderbilt had never shown much interest in baseball prior to Corbin’s arrival. But winning does funny things to fan interest. Especially when you’re the program winning while others are struggling. Baseball has been the lone bright spot for UT fans in recent years and I think that’s helping to increase interest faster than would ordinarily be the case if this were happening while football and others were having success. Also, as college baseball gets more exposure (I’ve watched almost every game this season because I have the ESPN app), interest will climb.

That said, I’m asking what you think UT would need to do to keep him, not whether you think they should or will. I know you’re more plugged into these things than most. Is it money? Is it facilities? Is it financing tuition? Something else?

I'm not sure which thread to post this in, so I'm sorry if it's wrong.........

Baseball recruiting question. I understand football, basketball, and even golf recruiting, but baseball coaches recruiting pitchers has confused me for a while. I know speed, movement, and pitching tree are good things to look at. Whip and era as well, but what about wear and tear on an arm? How does a college coach know how many innings a kid has thrown from Little League through High School, not to mention Travel Ball? I'm pretty sure pitch counts are used in Travel ball, but probably not in Little League or High School. Just curious.

Baseball recruiting question. I understand football, basketball, and even golf recruiting, but baseball coaches recruiting pitchers has confused me for a while. I know speed, movement, and pitching tree are good things to look at. Whip and era as well, but what about wear and tear on an arm? How does a college coach know how many innings a kid has thrown from Little League through High School, not to mention Travel Ball? I'm pretty sure pitch counts are used in Travel ball, but probably not in Little League or High School. Just curious.

its all about projectability! It’s a crap shoot. Crochet was throwing mid to high 80’s out of high school but projected well, he was a one of the few that really panned out. The arm thing is a bigger crap shoot. You almost wish a guy had Tommy John in high school......

Well I’ll respectfully disagree, especially given the atmosphere we saw last weekend. Vanderbilt had never shown much interest in baseball prior to Corbin’s arrival. But winning does funny things to fan interest. Especially when you’re the program winning while others are struggling. Baseball has been the lone bright spot for UT fans in recent years and I think that’s helping to increase interest faster than would ordinarily be the case if this were happening while football and others were having success. Also, as college baseball gets more exposure (I’ve watched almost every game this season because I have the ESPN app), interest will climb.

That said, I’m asking what you think UT would need to do to keep him, not whether you think they should or will. I know you’re more plugged into these things than most. Is it money? Is it facilities? Is it financing tuition? Something else?

A few things here.

1) vandy still doesn’t have fan support that makes $. Neither does florida. That fan support has to be a “culture” or tradition and schools don’t just get it with winning at the highest level

2) vandy became vandy because of need based aid and great coaching. It takes both

3) to answer your question I don’t think there is anything that can be done short of need base aid which isn’t possible at tenn to keep TV if schools with better “scholarship” situations and fan atmospheres come calling: money won’t matter imo

Coaches don’t know how many innings or even pay much attention at all with stats. It’s what they see body, arm action, velo and spin rate wise. Jmo

Reactions: peaygolf
Coaches don’t know how many innings or even pay much attention at all with stats. It’s what they see body, arm action, velo and spin rate wise. Jmo
Wow.....It's pretty much a roll of the dice with pitchers. Scary proposition for coaches.

Wow.....It's pretty much a roll of the dice with pitchers. Scary proposition for coaches.

All of baseball recruiting is a crap shoot with how early these kids commit and how many commits are taken. If the kid doesn’t develop they get culled before signing or cut soon after getting on campus

Reactions: peaygolf
All of baseball recruiting is a crap shoot with how early these kids commit and how many commits are taken. If the kid doesn’t develop they get culled before signing or cut soon after getting on campus
I would assume Hitting would be easier to critique in travel ball since they are usually facing better pitching than in high school

I’m not quite sure of TV’s qualms with the “downtown” stadium. I get that he wants the home field advantage atmosphere, but I spent 5 years on that campus and “downtown” Knoxville is not far at all from campus. You can get to market square in like a 20-25 minute walk. You’d still have plenty of students at the games. But, I’m sure he has a better idea of what he’s looking for and I’m sure he has good reasons for not wanting to leave campus.
One thing you have to keep in mind. The stadium will be shared.. problems can arise from that such as scheduling availability. What if the minor league team isn’t willing to play 2nd fiddle to the Vols? Regional and Supers the minor league team would have to agree to play on the road. Practice time? Part of the home field advantage is having a great feel for the Turf and playing environment.

Reactions: Titan05
not really imo. Especially when we are talking about 14-16 year olds
its all about projectability! It’s a crap shoot. Crochet was throwing mid to high 80’s out of high school but projected well, he was a one of the few that really panned out. The arm thing is a bigger crap shoot. You almost wish a guy had Tommy John in high school......
Thanks for the info......

VN Store

Back