Comic Books

I remember Lady Death. I had a girlfriend (I know! A girl!) who was a big fan of that series. She also loved Fangoria, so there's that lol.

I worked at a comic shop on the late 90s during the height of the “Bad Girl” wave of books. The handful of female regular costumers we had were either into the Bad Girl books or Star Trek.

It was a small sample size. Less than 10. Most of the female patrons were either random foot traffic coming in to look or there with their boyfriend.

Picked up some FF reprints for the kids since they like thumbing through a paper copy more than reading off the iPad. I enjoy the original coloring on the newsprint my self. Kids get a good kick out of the ads too.
View attachment 353107

Reading comics or books in general digitally is blasphemy!

Reading comics or books in general digitally is blasphemy!

Ehh... I was a collector for nearly 30 years. At some point you realize they just take up space. There are still stories I want to revisit on occasion but digging them out is a pain. I’m also not going to dig out my original Silver Age copies to read with my kids. Nor do I really want them flipping through my $100+ Ominbus’. Digital makes it so much easier and less stressful.

That said, Marvel was putting out $1 reprints of key issues I would get the kids. I didn’t care if they were rough on those. In fact I kinda enjoy seeing the beat up copies where they have looked through them so much. I don’t mind grabbing a lot of old reprints at ~$2/book. They can be rough with those but get the old comic experience. Still there is going to be gaps in the story and digital fills the void nicely.

Just bought these:

East of West 1st issue and the 1st issue "ghost" variant. Image has stated that March of this year was the last reprint of the comic book that they will ever do.

View attachment 389352

View attachment 389351

Nice. I’m a fan of Hickman’s work but haven’t read this. He recently announced a new project for the Substack along with a handful of other creators. Not sure how that is going to play out but the project sound interesting.

I’ve been reading Barry Windsor Smith’s OGN, Monsters. This started out as a Hulk story way back in 1984 but BWS has a disagreement with Marvel over using a few swear words. He’s been working on it for over 30 years expanding the story far beyond the original Hulk concept he pitched back the. Every panel is meticulously detailed. It’s truly incredible.

ED1CD919-1070-4522-8E8C-482D5E48D3B0.jpeg06C47FF0-A8D9-4266-AD12-F00717B0E9BD.jpeg6827D7CC-BC0A-4C8F-961E-42C61AA148D7.jpeg

Nice. I’m a fan of Hickman’s work but haven’t read this. He recently announced a new project for the Substack along with a handful of other creators. Not sure how that is going to play out but the project sound interesting.
I can't recommend it highly enough. And it's going to start drying up in a few years where it will be next to impossible to find individual issues. There are already some issues that are VERY hard to find outside of the hardcovers.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Picked up The Eternals Monster Sized edition. I’ve never read these and wanted to get familiar before the movie. Love this over oversized format. Nothing better than Kirby art blown up to original size.

FFCDBD19-C962-470F-A383-59FE111525F0.jpeg16742461-86A0-4F78-9191-6FCCCD62935D.jpeg73664F66-3B2F-4287-835F-BCDC14F8400A.jpeg

Picked up The Eternals Monster Sized edition. I’ve never read these and wanted to get familiar before the movie. Love this over oversized format. Nothing better than Kirby art blown up to original size.

View attachment 393570View attachment 393571View attachment 393572
I used to have several Eternals issues. I sold all of my comics for a pittance in my early 20s. I so wish I had kept them. Had some great ones. I had no idea how much they would be worth now.

If anyone is a fan of Hulk and wants a condensed history of the character by an Eisner winning creator, check out Hulk Grand Design by Jim Rugg on March 16.

It’s a 2 issue series and looks fantastic. I haven’t bought new comics in 5ish years but I can’t wait for this one.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Hey man wanted to say thanks for the recommendation! Ive read the first four volumes and have two more coming. Are the apocalypse volumes stand alones?

No. They are just hardcover volumes of the series. Year 1 is issues 1-15 i believe. Year 2 16-30 maybe and Year 3 is 31- series end. It's oversized, so a little bit easier for me to read. They are packed with a lot of extras that help understand the world better. There is geogrphical information in the index of one. There are character bios in another... etc.

Glad you enjoy it. I know it isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy it and think it is one of the most underrated series ever.

Reactions: bignewt
For anyone interested in comics from the golden age up, check out my friends, @Buzzard_Brothers_Comics claim sale on Instagram next Tuesday, February 8 starting at 7pm EST. @elite_comics11 on Instagram is the host. Lots of cool stuff going up.

Buyers and sellers of comics. I, more or less accidentally, came across the following website. Decided to post it here for possible interested parties. I used to be comics crazy decades ago, but when they changed the mythos of my favorite characters, I walked away and never looked back.
https://www.mercari.com/us/category/1641/

Last edited:

VN Store

Back