Comic Books

VolInNorthCack

I have searched high and low on the site and have not found a thread dedicated solely to comic books. If i am missing it, someone please show me the way.

Currently reading East of West. This is turning into my favorite comic/graphic novel ever. Fantastic artwork, great story, the characters are brilliant. If you like post-apocalyptic-sci-fi-westerns, this one is for you.

East of West - Wikipedia

A few years ago I had a thread in the Music and Movies forum for discussing graphic novels and such. I was pretty much talking to myself so gave up on it a while back 😂😂

I don’t have a ton of time for newer stuff. A lot of what I’m reading these days is older stuff with my kids. In the spring we read the Bone series by Jeff Smith. Over the summer we started Fantastic Four from #1. We are in the 30s and they absolutely love it. Now when we look at other comics they immediately ask “is this Jack Kirby?”. If the answer is no they are a little disappointed. Although we did start mixing it up with some Ditko Spider-Man recently. Aside from that I will get them the True Believer dollar comic reprints Marvel puts out.

I did get the recent Jack Kirby bio graphic novel by Tom Scioli. We are almost done with it and it is excellent. My kids are really obsessed with Kirby.

Not reading to my kids I was keeping up with the Hickman X-Men stuff but got way behind since the pandemic. It was really good and so different than any X-Men before it. I actually got me pumped up and for some X-Men and read (reread mostly) from Giant Size 1 through the Byrne era.

More recently I have read The Three Jokers 1 and 2 but haven’t gotten to 3.

I have searched high and low on the site and have not found a thread dedicated solely to comic books. If i am missing it, someone please show me the way.

Currently reading East of West. This is turning into my favorite comic/graphic novel ever. Fantastic artwork, great story, the characters are brilliant. If you like post-apocalyptic-sci-fi-westerns, this one is for you.

East of West - Wikipedia

Sounds very cool. I own Preacher, The Boys and Y The Last Man. I really liked Sweet Tooth, Saga and Im sure a few others I can't remember.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Sounds very cool. I own Preacher, The Boys and Y The Last Man. I really liked Sweet Tooth, Saga and Im sure a few others I can't remember.

I have read all of those. I usually read everything online. I loved East of West so much that I bought the Year 1 & Year 2 hardcover anthologies. Waiting for Year 3 to come out.

Preacher was awesome and loved the series on AMC. One of my favorites.

Have you read any of the Crossed series? Pretty graphic but great stories. Also post-apocalyptic. That is pretty much my niche, lol.

A few years ago I had a thread in the Music and Movies forum for discussing graphic novels and such. I was pretty much talking to myself so gave up on it a while back 😂😂

I don’t have a ton of time for newer stuff. A lot of what I’m reading these days is older stuff with my kids. In the spring we read the Bone series by Jeff Smith. Over the summer we started Fantastic Four from #1. We are in the 30s and they absolutely love it. Now when we look at other comics they immediately ask “is this Jack Kirby?”. If the answer is no they are a little disappointed. Although we did start mixing it up with some Ditko Spider-Man recently. Aside from that I will get them the True Believer dollar comic reprints Marvel puts out.

I did get the recent Jack Kirby bio graphic novel by Tom Scioli. We are almost done with it and it is excellent. My kids are really obsessed with Kirby.

Not reading to my kids I was keeping up with the Hickman X-Men stuff but got way behind since the pandemic. It was really good and so different than any X-Men before it. I actually got me pumped up and for some X-Men and read (reread mostly) from Giant Size 1 through the Byrne era.

More recently I have read The Three Jokers 1 and 2 but haven’t gotten to 3.

I'm kind of new to the comics/graphic novels. I lean toward the limited run series stuff.

I think that's awesome that you and your kids share that love. My daughter actually got me into this world in the last few years.

If you want to try some new stuff, try Invincible - Same guy who wrote the Walking Dead, but it's nothing like that. It's about a young man who learns his father is an alien with superpowers and he discovers that he has the powers too. I believe they are making a movie from it.

Also, if you haven't read "The Stuff of Legend" try it. Fantastic! A boy gets taken to a world of toys through his closet and his toys go on a quest to find him. It was on the New York Times best seller list for a good while.

Reactions: BenGrimm
I'm kind of new to the comics/graphic novels. I lean toward the limited run series stuff.

I think that's awesome that you and your kids share that love. My daughter actually got me into this world in the last few years.

If you want to try some new stuff, try Invincible - Same guy who wrote the Walking Dead, but it's nothing like that. It's about a young man who learns his father is an alien with superpowers and he discovers that he has the powers too. I believe they are making a movie from it.

Also, if you haven't read "The Stuff of Legend" try it. Fantastic! A boy gets taken to a world of toys through his closet and his toys go on a quest to find him. It was on the New York Times best seller list for a good while.

I’m so-so on Robert Kirkman’s stuff. I only read the first compendium of Walking Dead. I liked it but never felt compelled enough to pick up the next volume. I’m familiar with Invincible but never tried it.

I like Jonathan Hickman a lot but haven’t tried his indie stuff. His Marvel work is some of the best of the past decade but you have to be very patient for the story to unfold.

If you like noir type books check out Stray Bullets by Dave Lapham. Creator owned book originally self published but later picked up by Image.

East of West - Wikipedia
Found this thread
Comic Books

Man years ago I would be all up in this thread. I've currently got like 15 long boxes from me collecting from the early 90's to like 2006 or something.

Mostly all DC stuff Batman, Supes, JLA a little Marvel mostly X-men. I went back and bought some earlier stuff like Batman Death in the Family etc..

I wish I had kept all of my old comics from when I was a kid. I had boxes of them. When I was a teenager, I lost interest and found sports and girls. One of my friends asked if he could have them and I said yes. *smh*

I have a lot of Marvel from the late 80's early 90s. X Men, Spider Man, etc. I would love to sell it.

90s stuff is kinda picking up. Not so much the #1s but there are some random keys. Particularly Deadpool and Carnage appearances.

90s stuff is kinda picking up. Not so much the #1s but there are some random keys. Particularly Deadpool and Carnage appearances.

Carnage? Hmmm. I have a good number of Spider-Man, Batman, Spawn and other image comics from the late 80s early 90s. My kids and I have been reading some of the Spider-Man and Batman comics together. It’s been fun.

Reactions: vols72
Carnage? Hmmm. I have a good number of Spider-Man, Batman, Spawn and other image comics from the late 80s early 90s. My kids and I have been reading some of the Spider-Man and Batman comics together. It’s been fun.

Another thing collectors are looking for are newsstand copies from the late 80s through the 90s. Those books that were not sold in comic shops but in grocery stores and such. By that time the Direct Market was the primary sales outlet for comics so newsstand copies have a lower print run and tend to be harder to find in good shape. They have a barcode on the cover.

Spawn #1 for instance is not a rare book. It sold millions of copies.... BUT not on the newsstand. So those copies that have a barcode on them and are considered rare variants.

Interesting. Never knew there was a difference. Don’t know that I could have found a newsstand anywhere close to where I grew up. All of mine are from the local comic and card shop. It was such a dump. I’d go there while mom was at the beauty shop next door. Good times.

I got my start in comic books with Marvel's Star Wars. Being a Star Wars nut from the movies, I obviously wanted to read all the other stuff I could find. My first dip into super heroes was Marvel's Secret Wars. I still remember going to the comic shop every month to pick up the next installment. Best moment of Secret Wars was Reed Richards berating the crap out of the Hulk while he was holding up that mountain that had been dropped on all the heroes by Molecule Man. The more Richards ran his mouth, the madder the Hulk got, which gave him the strength to hold up the mountain. Good stuff and would translate to movies...Favreau, are ya listenin?!?

Has anyone been to the comic book shop in Maryville across from the Courthouse? I went in there one day when I was visiting my parents. Pretty nice shop. A ton of collectibles and action figures too.

VN Store

Back