Comic Books

Any of you ever have a comic graded? Curious what that experience is like.

Personally I’m not a proponent of grading/slabbing… unless you are planning to sell in which case it does increase the value.

I’ve never sent one in to be graded nor have I purchased one. I do hear the turn around time can be quite long. While most are probably happy with the experience I have seen the horror stories of someone’s book being damaged in the process or there being a hair on in the case, things like that. Worst I’ve seen is someone getting the wrong book back. I do think those are isolated events and not the norm.

There is also a big scandal going on where a dealer was sending in books to get a high grade. Then carefully cracking the case open and swapping it with a lower grade copy, sending it back to CGC to be reholdered, then selling it for the high grade value. He apparently did it hundreds of times. A buddy of mine who comes on my YT channel is the one that caught it.

Reactions: franklinpence
There are some advantages to having a book graded. If it's a new/modern book, it's really not worth grading unless you think it will get a 9.8. Just because it's graded, doesn't mean it will be worth more. If it's an 8.0, it will sell the same as a raw 8.0 most of the time.
If it's something you plan on keeping and want to preserve, go for it. If it's an older, rare book, it might warrant grading no matter what the condition (i.e. there are only a few of those books on the CGC census).

Thanks, guys. Very helpful. Hadn’t really understood the scope of the census before. Thanks for that.

Also, @BenGrimm - that swapping story is crazy. I’ve never bought a graded comic, but I have thought about trying to preserve some of mine. Curious on others’ experiences. Thanks.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Didn't that swapping situation mess up or possibly mess up some Amazing fantasy 15s for some people?

Didn't that swapping situation mess up or possibly mess up some Amazing fantasy 15s for some people?
It came to light over ASM 252 which is the first black costume. Cover is an AF 15 homage.

CGC put out a list of the ones they thought were compromised. Over 50% were ASM 300 (first full Venom).

Reactions: LeBleu
It came to light over ASM 252 which is the first black costume. Cover is an AF 15 homage.

CGC put out a list of the ones they thought were compromised. Over 50% were ASM 300 (first full Venom).
Oh ok I was close ish.

Watched an interview with McFarlane and he was pretty surprised and that he never really thought it was as good of a cover as the fans ended up appreciating it to be. He was actually pretty modest about it which is kind of rare for his character, heh.

Watched an interview with McFarlane and he was pretty surprised and that he never really thought it was as good of a cover as the fans ended up appreciating it to be. He was actually pretty modest about it which is kind of rare for his character, heh.
He’s homaged it on Spawn more than once now LOL.

Anyone fans of Cartoonist Kayfabe. Tragic news today of Ed Piskor committing suicide after being accused of sexual harassment last week.

This morning he posted note on FB. Later in the day his family found him. It was truly sad.

If you aren’t familiar with Ed, his most notable works are Hip Hop Family Tree and X-Men Grand Design.

Started digging in on some online auctions. Conditions on the comics are mixed, but I’m getting a lot of old issues at decent prices. Picked up about half of the Web of Spider-Man series from one auction. And have grabbed a few Detective Comics issues from the 70s and 80s. Have to be cautious with how much I spend. But it’s been fun hunting.

8.5 is pretty nice for that book. Don't know if it's the highest grade on the census but probably not one that nice for sale very often.

Pretty amazing.This will probably have a trickle down effect across all blue chip books over the next several months.

I remember when the new Silver Surfer comic was 13 cents. Having a dime and a nickel, that left only 2 cents for penny candy (MaryJanes!). It was a tortuous decision, as other comics were 11 cents, allowing for 4 pieces of penny candy. Yes, I went for the new Silver Surfer, muttering curses at Marvel for the price increase.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I remember when the new Silver Surfer comic was 13 cents. Having a dime and a nickel, that left only 2 cents for penny candy (MaryJanes!). It was a tortuous decision, as other comics were 11 cents, allowing for 4 pieces of penny candy. Yes, I went for the new Silver Surfer, muttering curses at Marvel for the price increase.

Not disputing your dilemma but SS was never 13¢. No comics were.

They were 10¢ from the 1930s through about 1962. Then they went up to 12¢

SS actually launched as 25¢ double sized book for the first 7 issues. It was a “premium” title but that hurt sales. Then went down to standard size for 15¢ which was the avg price by the late 60s.

They pretty much just went up in 5¢ increments through the 70s and most of the 80s. Once it hit 75¢ they started jumping by 25¢ until they hit $2.99 in the 00s.

Current comics average 3.99-6.99.

SS actually launched as 25¢ double sized book for the first 7 issues. It was a “premium” title but that hurt sales. Then went down to standard size for 15¢ which was the avg price by the late 60s.

They pretty much just went up in 5¢ increments through the 70s and most of the 80s. Once it hit 75¢ they started jumping by 25¢ until they hit $2.99 in the 00s.

I’m old. If my memory is imperfect, if the price change was from 10 to 12 cents, I still faced the conundrum of the new Silver Surfer being 2 cents more than the older comics on the rack, negatively impacting my acquisition of penny candy.

I’m old. If my memory is imperfect, if the price change was from 10 to 12 cents, I still faced the conundrum of the new Silver Surfer being 2 cents more than the older comics on the rack, negatively impacting my acquisition of penny candy.
I gotcha. Just had to push my glasses up and say “Well actually…”

I started getting comics in the 60-75¢ era. Conundrum was similar but I had $2 to get a comic, coke, and some candy.

WTF BEN?

How do you know this?

This is like SuperHero level sh*t. To just spout it off the top of your head.

Or...

Is it Super -VILLAIN sh*T?!? D:

VN Store

Back