Colorado Postgame Report

@cncchris33 we had discussed in the off-season the frame of Keon being a worry to you. I tried to calm those worries comparing his body to Bowden.

Were you pleasantly surprised at the body or still a little worried ?
Nope, not a bit. As has been discussed, he has certainly put on quite a bit of good weight and muscle. Looked good.

1) Zone offense was dreadful but I’m not too concerned. Probably haven’t probably practiced much and our posts couldn’t buy an open 18 footer. But it’s going to need to a point of focus.

2) I thought Pons looked stronger in the paint and more controlled on the defensive end.

3) Santi needs to be more assertive on offense. The zone played a part but he had 3-4 3’s he passed up he needs to take.

4) This team is going to be a nightmare on defense. This might be the best defensive UT has had this century.

5) Barnes should go 8 man rotation and get Springer/Johnson more minutes. The fact they only play 21 is a huge concern. Bailey doesn’t need more than 30 minutes and Oliver just doesn’t need to be a regular part of the rotation. Get JJJ minutes at the 4 and use Fulk/Anosike as your 5.

Quite the change in tone

Nope, not a bit. As has been discussed, he has certainly put on quite a bit of good weight and muscle. Looked good.
I think it's the biggest reason he's shot up the draft boards. Adding physicality to his game helps him on both ends of the floor. I think it's already showed up as he's winning more 50/50 scraps than he's losing and that wasn't always the case in HS, he still won more than his share but not by reaching in and ripping it out, something he's now strong enough to do.

@cncchris33 we had discussed in the off-season the frame of Keon being a worry to you. I tried to calm those worries comparing his body to Bowden.

Were you pleasantly surprised at the body or still a little worried ?
I posted somewhere last year that I thought he was a bigger, faster Bowden. I think Springer is a bigger faster STRONGER L Turner. I know it probably will not happen but if we could keep Keon, Springer, JJJ and Vescovi together for 3 seasons you have to think we would have a great shot at a NC, maybe even 2 of them. Keon, JJJ, Springer and Pons are the best collection of perimeter defense in the country and likely the best the Vols have ever put on the floor. Teams are going to have to have some kind of great guard play to beat that group.

Reactions: i2amavol
So you didn’t watch the game but make that statement?

I obviously watched the game, I made multiple points about it when your originally quoted me. Don’t be obtuse. I didn’t check the box score for the official minutes. I knew he was over 30 but didn’t know the official tally

I obviously watched the game, but I didn’t check the box score for the official minutes. I knew he was over 30 but didn’t know the official tally
Led the team with 35 minutes played...so you watched the game and still stand by playing him less than 20mpg? Gonna pull a Bruin and be hard headed on this topic aren’t you, Bailey could get 2nd team SEC honors and you’d say he shouldn’t be getting those minutes.

Led the team with 35 minutes played...so you watched the game and still stand by playing him less than 20mpg? Gonna pull a Bruin and be hard headed on this topic aren’t you, Bailey could get 2nd team SEC honors and you’d say he shouldn’t be getting those minutes.

Yes I do. He’s a very good defender. But he still has limits on offense and can’t create his own shot. Springer/Johnson should be playing more. They’re clearly more talented.

At least to me, Olivier did not look much improved from last year, which is not a good sign. I suspect we will need some good minutes from either him or Uros as the season goes on, but I am not confident they are up to the challenge.
I thought ON looked tentative and lackadaisical. Just doesn't seem to have any gittyup and go.

Looked more at some offensive stats and man was it ugly.

Tennessee put up 19 points in the first 8:30 minutes. 26 points in the first 12:30. They scored 37 points the final 31:30. They scored 30 points in the final 27:30. 25 points in the second half. Thats Cuonzo-esque.

They had more turnovers than assists. 20% turnover percentage.

The eFG% was 42.5. Only 20.8 FT/FGA rate. 35.8 3P rate.

That zone killed them.

Reactions: you
Yes I do. He’s a very good defender. But he still has limits on offense and can’t create his own shot. Springer/Johnson should be playing more. They’re clearly more talented.
If SV turned it over 5 times in 17 minutes you’d be wanting his scholarship yanked.

It’s clear to me that Keon is a gifted athlete, can’t tell about Springer yet. It’s also clear to me that neither one is ready to be the main point guard running CRB’s offense. Maybe as the year progresses one of them will become ready and pass SV there?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You may end up being right on that, but we still haven't seen enough to make any sort of definitive statements, really on anyone without making some guesses and assumptions.

Reactions: walkenvol
You may end up being right on that, but we still haven't seen enough to make any sort of definitive statements, really on anyone without making some guesses and assumptions.

I rarely defend the op but I do think we know enough about this team to know no one is going to average 35min a game

all the individual min distribution from game 1 with see the group start to come to the middle and I think that’s clear.

Other than uros and Olivier that is

I rarely defend the op but I do think we know enough about this team to know no one is going to average 35min a game

all the individual min distribution from game 1 with see the group start to come to the middle and I think that’s clear.

Other than uros and Olivier that is
Well, I wasn't defending the idea that anyone would average 35+ mins/gm. I was defending the idea that no one has seen enough of Bailey to know whether or not he is limited offensively or can/can't creative his own shot.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Well, I wasn't defending the idea that anyone would average 35+ mins/gm. I was defending the idea that no one has seen enough of Bailey to know whether or not he is limited offensively or can/can't creative his own shot.

I agree with that but I do agree with him saying Bailey should play less and the frosh play more

As usual, I agree with most of your points. I posted mine under the highlights thread.

This is a team that will likely give you nothing easy. I still have concerns inside, but if Fulky and Oons can play just a bit better, the addition of Anosike should keep us competitive. Pember is still too small and ON and Uros look like they still have no idea where they should be. I remember constantly thinking Alexander was a weak point a few years ago, but other than some stupid fouls, he was usually in the right place, and didn’t make the easy mistakes. We are going to need Fulk to play like the lifer he is this year. He’s capable, he just needs to remember his role. Outside...I think Cincy is going to show us what we need to know. If we shut down their perimeter attack the way we did Colorado’s....this team could be our best ever defensively, they are deep, play long, and tackle the ball...in other words, a Rick Barnes defense. Keon is ready...hopefully Springer gets the message, play defense if you want minutes.

Bailey...what a pickup. Kid is ready to play. Pure stroke, good defense, and high IQ for the game. JJJ...we expected too much to early. He will develop into the star we expected on day one. I still think his ceiling may be the highest on the roster. Definitely not the one and done some predicted, but he’s going to have a long career in this sport.

Overall....I didn’t see anything to make me doubt this is a top 10 team. Still way early, but the talent is there. If the team gels....they will be able to play with anyone. They actually remind me a ton of the Purdue team that took us out...guard heavy, not great inside, but not bad enough to kill you most the time.

I normally push back (albeit fairly lightly) on some of the ref bashing on here, but last night was rough. I'd honestly expect to see better officiating in a church league game. It was really, really bad. So bad that I think you just have to chalk it up to this preseason being weird for the refs too and forget about it.

If he’s highly conditioned it won’t surprise me to see JJJ average 35 mpg. More likely around 30 with that loaded roster, but 35 won’t shock me. He can play the 1 through the 4.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I'm certainly not a basketball expert, but all this sounds great about minutes being distributed as long as we can start making baskets. It seems to be that simple. We make half of what we missed and we blow them out...I know the first game, not a lot of practice, etc, but there were runs during the game where we went 0-5, 0-8 and I swear at one point I thought they said 0-11 on missed shots... we keep that up and nothing else will really matter... Several wide open pull-up shots missed by Pons and Fulky... Who will be the guy who decides to penetrate and go to the basket? I saw a lot of passing around the perimeter and no one wanting to go to the basket. Who's gonna be our Jordan McRae?

VN Store

Back