Colorado Postgame Report

When Pons shot the ball, it looked flat all night. Hopefully the game last night will be his worst offensive showing of the year. EJ needs to pass up some of those mid-range jumpers and it get it to someone else IMO. Hamer said the same thing calling the game last night. He needs to be putting up garbage buckets and lay ups.

He fell into the same thing last year, at times. Not sure the ball ever gets much above the rim when he does this. I look for him to regain his form in the next few games.

Refs were absolutely abysmal. 2 charging calls really stand out. Sloppy game, but for a first game against a P5 undefeated program with good scoring ability, I was impressed. Held them under 50 and really frustrated their leading scorer.

Agreed on all points, especially on Vescovi. I was throwing hands and yelling at the TV when he turned the ball over against that weak half court trap all because he refused to go right. No clue how that hasn’t been fixed more by now, but I’m gonna try to reserve judgement for a few games. This team plays like the did they first 10 minutes and there’s not many out there who are capable of beating us.

He is remarkably better than he was last year - flip back when he was leaving his feet all the time and every single dribble was with his left. Much more under control last night, directed play, muucccccchhhhh quicker on defense - and of course hitting 75 percent of his 3's.

Gerry Pollard, the older white guy...I have no idea what he saw half the night. He was especially bad.
I'm not nearly as tough on refs as a lot of people. But I was honestly wondering in that game if, due to the short timing, they couldn't find any D1 refs and had to pull from lower divisions. That old white guy, without exaggeration, was no better than your average high school ref. It's really an impossible job, but he couldn't get anything right.

Reactions: therickbol
I'm not nearly as tough on refs as a lot of people. But I was honestly wondering in that game if, due to the short timing, they couldn't find any D1 refs and had to pull from lower divisions. That old white guy, without exaggeration, was no better than your average high school ref. It's really an impossible job, but he couldn't get anything right.
I’m like you, and not nearly as emotional and quick-triggered on officials as most people. Mostly because I have done basketball and it is impossibly difficult. I officiate a different sport, now, and rarely does a night go by and both sides’ coaches/teams/fans are pleased.

Last night was particularly bad, though.

Reactions: berryvol
I’m like you, and not nearly as emotional and quick-triggered on officials as most people. Mostly because I have done basketball and it is impossibly difficult. I officiate a different sport, now, and rarely does a night go by and both sides’ coaches/teams/fans are pleased.

Last night was particularly bad, though.
I've tried basketball (on a really low level) and I was no better than the old white dude, lol. You just can't appreciate how good the normal stable of refs are, even the ones we've come to hate over the years, until you've tried it.

Reactions: cncchris33
The worst call of the night was actually in our favor. The ref antipated a charge on the Colorado player because our guy was set. He pulled up about two feet from the defender and got called for a charge. It was was laughable. Not sure I've ever seen someone get called for a charge when there no contact at all. Even on a flop there is usually light contact.

Reactions: therealitytheory
Hey sorry if already discussed, but anyone got the skinny on why Uros didn't play last night? Where is he in terms of development? Passes the eye test and at this point he should be in the lineup --- would think he and Ponz should be able to grab just about every rebound needed... He'd give us someone in the paint as well since we didn't seem to have a presence there last night. Love Fulky, but he didn't seem to want to stay inside.

Hey sorry if already discussed, but anyone got the skinny on why Uros didn't play last night? Where is he in terms of development? Passes the eye test and at this point he should be in the lineup --- would think he and Ponz should be able to grab just about every rebound needed... He'd give us someone in the paint as well since we didn't seem to have a presence there last night. Love Fulky, but he didn't seem to want to stay inside.
He did play about 45 seconds. even got a shot up.

Reactions: volinbama256

He did play but not much.

Overall, it was a solid win. Colorado is a good team. I think the team we saw the first 7 minutes of the game is the potential that this team has once they can clean up some early season jitters.

I don’t want to overreact or under react, but hey that’s what this board is for, right? So here are my thoughts.

#1) Pons and Fulkerson. What a disappointment. I expected more from the veterans and I believe their struggles are largely the reason the game was as close as it was. I’ll cut everyone some slack because of the weird off-season, but with all the talent on this team Pons might regret not declaring for the draft if he doesn’t shape up. He was abysmal on the offensive end which is the biggest reason he came back, to improve it.

#2) Keon and Jaden should be starting. I feel like in a few games, we’ll be seeing Santi and Josiah coming off the bench. It’s just one game, but I was far more impressed by the freshmen than I thought I would be by the end of the game.

#3) We still struggle with all the classic Rick Barnes’ coached-team flaws. Long stretches without any baskets and frequent turnovers. You have to mitigate those droughts or it’s going to cost you come tournament time. Just one year I’d like to see a Barnes’ team be more consistent with this but I know it’s tough.

#4) The defense is elite. Not much else needs to be said. It’s championship caliber. Bravo.
It was one game, Pons will be alright.
Keon Johnson looks like a lock down defender, I would start him and bring Josiah off the bench.
It will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out as the year progresses.

I do know that Vescovi is still favoring his left hand more than he needs to but I don't think it's as bad as some of y'all are making it out to be. I think because he is a left-handed pg it naturally looks different than the more common right handed pgs do to the eye test. He still needs to be more versatile under pressure with his moves and dribbling but it was MUCH improved from last year.

I expected more from Pons, particularly after going through the pre-draft process. I can only assume they informed Him of what He needed to work on to take His game to the next level. He's got to be able to attack off the dribble, He had multiple opportunities to do so but settled for passing the ball around the perimeter. He doesn't have a post game at all, and while His jumper has improved, it's not consistent. All and all a good opening win v a good opponent. Excited about the young guys, and impressed with Bailey.

The worst call of the night was actually in our favor. The ref antipated a charge on the Colorado player because our guy was set. He pulled up about two feet from the defender and got called for a charge. It was was laughable. Not sure I've ever seen someone get called for a charge when there no contact at all. Even on a flop there is usually light contact.

Provide evidence or I'm calling complete bs on this. I watched the entire game, and the reffing was terrible. However, there was definitely not a charging call with, "no contact at all."

When Pons shot the ball, it looked flat all night. Hopefully the game last night will be his worst offensive showing of the year. EJ needs to pass up some of those mid-range jumpers and it get it to someone else IMO. Hamer said the same thing calling the game last night. He needs to be putting up garbage buckets and lay ups.
It almost looked like he was releasing on the way down for a few of his mid range shots. I like the way he elevates on those, but timing just looked slightly off. I thought Bowden did the same on his funk last year. I feel like the best shooters generally release the ball just prior to apex.

Thanks--- any idea if he will see the floor consistently this year? We need a big man like that...
Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it. Seems like he's the 5th option in the post, and after Fulky, Pons, and Anosike, there are only a few minutes left for Nkamhou, Plavsic, and Walker/Pember when they get back in there.

Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it. Seems like he's the 5th option in the post, and after Fulky, Pons, and Anosike, there are only a few minutes left for Nkamhou, Plavsic, and Walker/Pember when they get back in there.

Thanks--- just can't see how a kid that tall, with that wing span and seeming athleticism, wouldn't see the court more when we play a taller team. He is just a soph here, so he does have the time to make an impact for two more seasons...

Thanks--- just can't see how a kid that tall, with that wing span and seeming athleticism, wouldn't see the court more when we play a taller team. He is just a soph here, so he does have the time to make an impact for two more seasons...

At least to me, Olivier did not look much improved from last year, which is not a good sign. I suspect we will need some good minutes from either him or Uros as the season goes on, but I am not confident they are up to the challenge.

1) Zone offense was dreadful but I’m not too concerned. Probably haven’t probably practiced much and our posts couldn’t buy an open 18 footer. But it’s going to need to a point of focus.

2) I thought Pons looked stronger in the paint and more controlled on the defensive end.

3) Santi needs to be more assertive on offense. The zone played a part but he had 3-4 3’s he passed up he needs to take.

4) This team is going to be a nightmare on defense. This might be the best defensive UT has had this century.

5) Barnes should go 8 man rotation and get Springer/Johnson more minutes. The fact they only play 21 is a huge concern. Bailey doesn’t need more than 30 minutes and Oliver just doesn’t need to be a regular part of the rotation. Get JJJ minutes at the 4 and use Fulk/Anosike as your 5.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
@cncchris33 we had discussed in the off-season the frame of Keon being a worry to you. I tried to calm those worries comparing his body to Bowden.

Were you pleasantly surprised at the body or still a little worried ?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back